Andre the Giant Documentary - April 10 HBO

Amos Moses

My first driving job was based out of Ellerbe, NC. We had this crazy old French dude that worked with us that used to claim he was Andre's best friend and lived with him in Ellerbe. We all thought he was a crazy bastard but it turned out he was telling the truth. Maybe if I had been more receptive to his stories I could have met Andre.

I really enjoyed the documentary. 

As I kid, I was watching wrestling in the late-70s through mid-80s.  My favorite match was watching Andre crush to Samoans.  (itsrealtomedamnit.gif)

I think it's awesome and apropos that Andre will live on in the hearts and minds of children and former children as Fezzik.   ". . . anybody want a peanut?"

Edited by Jerry Callo

Actually met him and drank with him.  Was in Sacramento around 1989 or 1990.  Was in college in the Bay area and was dating a gal from Sacramento.  We were at her place and her sister worked at a hotel bar.  We went down to see her late night and she was freaking out and said Andre was in a booth all alone and drinking heavily.  We went to see him and he asked us to sit.  There was no one else in the bar.  His english was bad but he understood pretty well.  

I can attest that his hands were enormous.  Never saw anything like it.  He was drinking some French liqueur and was on bottle number 2 when we arrived and he finished the second one.   Just kept pouring out huge shots and he gulped them down.  When he stood up he did not seem like he was 7'4" or anything but I would guess about 6'9".   We stayed maybe an hour.  Not sure what to ask a guy like that so I asked a wrestling question and he did not want to talk about wrestling.  Turns out he liked baseball and we talked about the Oakland As and Canseco.  All I got.

• Like 1