Favorite Memory From Childhood

Steel Shank

Buttermilk is great to cook with, but I can't hack it straight. Guess I just ain't country enough.
Apparently buttermilk doesn't go bad when it gets hot within a day. No idea, I've never googled it. Any how apparently I would hide bottles as a toddler and drink them later per mom. So she put buttermilk in them.

To this day about twice a year I will buy a quart of buttermilk and drink it. But I add a lot of pepper and a dash of salt. It lasts under 24 hours.

My granddad used to drink tea-coke out of a saucer. Mix Coca-Cola with iced tea. I have no idea how he came up with that combo, but it wasn't horrible.

My great-grandfather used to drink coffee out of a saucer. He had the shakes real bad. Young County, this was.

Spending summers @ my Grandparents S. of Shreveport.

50 acres available on their place + all the SwepCo utility easement for high voltage lines on Boggy Bayou that you'd want, a couple of other kids 1/2 a mile up the dirt road, bottle rocket wars from 50 yards away, cattle to monkey around with, a 1/4 acre pond down the hill with always eating sized bream / shellcracker & Poppa handing us a .22 & boxes of shells without even glancing @ how to operate it, neither him nor Nana ever said "be careful" (not even remotely how I'd go about it these days).

Lather, rinse, repeat from around age 8 to 12, then picked up again @ 14 to 17.

• Like 1