Songs to play on guitar with a loop pedal

South Austin

What are some good songs to play on an electric guitar with a loop pedal?

By way of background, my eighth-grade daughter is in the classical guitar program at Lamar, and will be in McCallum’s next year. But she learned guitar in elementary school with pop tunes and still likes to play around with that genre. She just got a Fender telecaster and a loop pedal. So far she’s tried out Seven Nation Army and an Alec Benjamin tune. She’s asked me for ideas. As much passion as I have for music, I don’t know shit about actually playing a guitar, or any other instrument for that matter, so I don’t really have a good list of rock songs that might be cool to play with a looper.

Any suggestions, Surly brethren?

I do For What It’s Worth sometimes with a loop. I lay one down with a slapping the strings style drum beat. Then a second with the harmonics. Then just play the chords during the song.

Sometimes I do can’t you see as well. Just lay down the three chords in one loop. Then play over them during the song but you can break away with the filler licks if you want because the loop is holding it down.

Getting the loops right is fucking hard though.

Here’s some insight into probably the best looper there is:

• Like 2