Router Help

next2naus

Not sure if this is the best forum....

I've been using my Apple Airport Extreme for years and didn't pay attention to it being EOL. What does the Surly recommend for a new router? I have Fios and their crappy router which has to be used in some capacity for the TV guide data. I've been connecting all our devices to my Apple Network attached to the Fios network. only recently, and I mean very recenbtly has performance been an issue. Otherwise I like the Secure Network attached to a secure network. 

thinking about these:

Linksys: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HNKN2LL/A/linksys-mr8300-mesh-wi-fi-router?fnode=8bf48fe91fd0c0f9f1534ca790c8031155ef328b37ff1492f08b2aa4dfa3bf97b1bd7f4a777957b197177281e5c278861850d8cc23f2266ea38536fe2f6c31f585f34523056d33f197841c5de2be25b8b59b4eecf8ffe7b43ac3b75cfe919dcc

ASUS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752FD3XJ/ref=asc_df_B0752FD3XJ1609844400000?tag=cnet-pc-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B0752FD3XJ&linkCode=asn&ascsubtag=0b8fe109-baee-46b6-a315-bac327a20a10|___VIEW_GUID___|dtp|us

I'm open to suggestions. I loved the Apple product because it simply worked, auto-updated, and it was Apple easy, me likey Windows as I cannot remember how it works compared to MacOS. 

• 2 months later...

I just recently replaces a good, but 10 year old, router with the low-end Orbi mesh system.

Let me offer some practical observations.  As a general proposition, I think mesh systems will emphasize coverage over speed.

There are cheaper systems (<$200), that use entirely wireless/wifi for communication between both the router and satellites and between the router/satellites and your devices.  That means that if the satellites are too distant (or obstructed) between each other, they can connect to each other using the 2.4G radio, which inherently reduces speed.  It can be deceptive, because your device can get a 5x5 5G connection to a nearby satellite, yet speed will be what you expect from a 2.4G connection because that's the bottleneck in the intranetwork connections.  Of course, a 2.4G connection will get most jobs done just fine, but if you speed test the device and get 10% of your rated speed, you might be disappointed.

The midpriced "tri-band" mesh systems have a dedicated 5G radio/channel for connection between the mesh router and satellites.  This will improve speed, but would seem to require the satellites to be closer together, as 5G reduces range.

Finally, there are highpriced systems that use your wired ethernet (if you have it) to connect between the router and satellites (and satellites to each other).  This would seem to be the optimum speed solution, but somewhat limits your ability to place satellites (near cat 5 jacks) and is useless if your home is not wired.

Finally, finally, some of the systems increase price by having other radios, bluetooth and zigbee for connection to "smart home" devices.  We have none of that and little interest in getting it, so that's wasted money.

Another observation is that the literature for mesh systems (at least Netgear's, but it's probably similar across the board) tend to indicate that you can put satellites farther apart than you probably want to, which means the square foot coverage number is deceptive.  You'll still be able to connect devices, but on the lower end ones, you'll get a slow connection.  @TXSG8R mentioned a rule of one wall between nodes, which makes sense, but increases the number of satellites you'll need to really cover things.

• Hook 'Em 1