Should roofer have caught this damage?

Paging [mention]ROFL BOX [/mention] and any other roofing home repair experts.

In early February, we had the roof of a rental home in AL replaced under an insurance claim. This is in one of the hardest hit areas in Alabama that was hit by the recent tornado outbreak.

The storm blew off a chunk of the fascia board and the metal siding covering it.. I suspect the ends of the rafters are rotted, as well.

This damage has obviously been there for some time. Is this something the roofer should have caught and repaired during the job?

We also had the roof on our primary home in NC replaced this past summer. I hate to have to file another insurance claim. Any advice?

These are pictures the tenant sent:

c9755cbd7e4870e7724021671d16ae23.jpg

9528037344b7c777ccbf6a3ffeb904f9.jpg

36bc404ea2193f4a29e1103c5bbefaed.jpg

Yes.  At a minimum, the roofer should have informed you that you’ve got blown off fascia and potential rafter ends to repair.

Ha. Not sure if serious. Maybe I didn’t word it correctly. This damage was not exposed until the storm last week when the cladding on the fascia board and a rotten chunk was blown off. The roof was replaced in early February before this was so exposed by the recent storm, but I am wondering if they could or should have noticed the apparent rot in the fascia while they were on the roof.

9 minutes ago, Longhorn Fever said:

Ha. Not sure if serious. Maybe I didn’t word it correctly. This damage was not exposed until the storm last week when the cladding on the fascia board and a rotten chunk was blown off. The roof was replaced in early February before this was so exposed by the recent storm, but I am wondering if they could or should have noticed the apparent rot in the fascia while they were on the roof.

How did that not come off during the re roof? And did your contract call for the Roofer to replace damaged wood and fascia?  If so, you should have the roofer replace this and the area of roofing above at no charge to you.  

And if I had to roll the dice, I’d bet an insurance adjuster would deny the claim due to it should have been replaced with the re roof.  If  your deductible is $1000 or 1% of your Coverage A, you’d pay less just to pay out of pocket and avoid another strike on your claims record.  Insurance rates are getting ready to take a big leap soon thanks to the last few years of tropical weather, severe storms in the south, fire in the west and last month Winter blast.  Premiums are already going up a big clip right now due to replacement costs being out of this world thanks to high prices of lumber and dry wall.    Don’t give the insurers an excuse to drop you or jack your rates any higher than will be baked in the cake for everyone in weather adverse states.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for not seeing this... been lazy in my Shagging².

See, the idea here is that yeah... it was probably suffering prior to the storm & subsequent damage. yes. However up until THE STORM blew off the metal cladding, it wasn't actually exposed.

The repair to put the aluminum siding back on won't work because the wood is rotten. This means the wood has to be repaired. Every.Single.Penny. to repair this should have come from your insurer & whomever your salesperson was should have ensured that the adjuster included this & assisted you to fight the good fight w/ your insurance co. if needed.

When we did the re-roof for [mention=1643]fuggled[/mention] last year (Richardson, in the Dallas market), my inspection turned up gutter damage that the initial adjuster didn't catch. We had a friendly exchange of email & *bingo*, paid for, all under that 1 deductible.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk