Fire Chip Kelly

Michael Knight

4 hours ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

He does clearly state the issue in the article - had he left earlier, his former coaching staff would have had the opportunity to search for jobs during a window where there were plenty of openings. This article does not lay enough blame on the UCLA athletic department for its role in this clown show, but Chip Kelly behaved like a narcissistic dirtbag just as he did for his whole tenure. 

I should have been clearer in my previous post (scrambling to get to a trade show), Kelly is an absolute piece of crap, zero argument there. He was fortunate to catch lightning in a bottle at Oregon, and had been on cruise control since. 

That being said, is it possible that he had an “I can’t do this shit anymore” moment (happened to me). Especially since he obviously didn’t like recruiting, being an administrator, NIL issues, the stuff they PAY you multiple-$millions for. The timing IS crappy, but how many of us would walk away from a guaranteed $6 million without a landing place? Hell, they most likely would have cut him loose this season anyway.

20 hours ago, USC_TMB said:

He was fortunate to catch lightning in a bottle at Oregon,

It would have been very intriguing to watch how a longer tenure would have played out at Oregon.  In hindsight, seems like it was the perfect set up for CK in that moment and he was (select your own adjective) to keep a very stable staff in the transition from Bellotti.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

It would have been very intriguing to watch how a longer tenure would have played out at Oregon.  In hindsight, seems like it was the perfect set up for CK in that moment and he was (select your own adjective) to keep a very stable staff in the transition from Bellotti.  

I was always sort of under the impression he talked Knight into pushing Bellotti into AD/retirement so they could implement a  pay to play system and let Kelly run wild with the spread attack. 

Anyway, UCLA definitely backing into the BIG1G rn. 

Edited by Bateshorn

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

I was always sort of under the impression he talked Knight into pushing Bellotti into AD/retirement so they could implement a  pay to play system and let Kelly run wild with the spread attack. 

I have not heard anything Machiavellian about the change that was more than internet discussion board fodder.  CK is a different kind of person that's for sure.   But, full disclaimer, I am not claiming to know all the details.  The Ducks were fun to watch during CK's tenure.  Looked like it was going to possibly work in the NFL, then utter dumpster fire.

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I have not heard anything Machiavellian about the change that was more than internet discussion board fodder.  CK is a different kind of person that's for sure.   But, full disclaimer, I am not claiming to know all the details.  The Ducks were fun to watch during CK's tenure.  Looked like it was going to possibly work in the NFL, then utter dumpster fire.

I honestly don't know beyond internet rumor mongering as well, but his rise at Oregon coincides with the Willie Lyles era. All that seems positively archaic by today's standards. 

On 3/18/2024 at 4:05 PM, USC_TMB said:

Kelly is an absolute piece of crap, zero argument there.

Maybe he left because a younger, even bigger piece of shit, Lincoln Riley, showed up in the conference and stole the piece-of-shit crown.