Boston

durant durant

Posted (edited)

My wife and I were in Boston in November of 1990 (I remember listening to a weak nighttime radio broadcast discussing the Baylor game which was November 24th). My obese Italian boss was from the North End, so he gave us a restaurant recommendation that turned out to be good (but not great). I may have misunderstood him as he was out of breath.

On our way back to our B&B, I bottomed out our rental Jetta on a low dip in the street and knocked loose a shield under the front end which wanted to get caught under the driver’s side front tire. I pulled over on this dark street and made a makeshift repair with a wire hanger. The only light I had was from a street lamp post outside an old building. It was as useless as a 7W night light. I basically did it blind.

The next day we were doing a historical self-guided walking tour which brought us to the scene of my repair. The old building with the “night light” was Paul Revere’s house.

IMG-0483.jpg

I hope everyone enjoys my memory. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Clarification
  • Hook 'Em 3

I enjoyed my trip to Boston. Thanks to those who provided thoughts on this thread. Thoughts below for anyone else visiting down the line:

The Freedom Trail was excellent, as hoped. Had Bell in Hand Ale at the The Bell-in-Hand along the way. Would do again.

Went to the Fenway area on Saturday and they were having their 2024 Red Sox Open House. We got to go on the field and walk the entire fence line, go into dugouts, the press box, you name it. That shit was cool. Had drinks at various pubs along Landsdowne afterwards for awhile.

Visited MIT since we have a kid who really wants to go there and might have a shot. Not a good campus to visit. 

Walked shopped Newbury with my wife and she thought the shop options were strong.

In terms of restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I'd rate them this way:

1) Yvonne's - cool menu, really cool vibe inside, great service. We had the "Lazy Lobster Dumplings" as one of the dishes and could have had 5 helpings of that.

2) Parker House - did this for lunch and did the chowder, the scrod, the Boston Creme Pie and Parker House rolls. Just thought the whole thing was cool inside that hotel. We sat at the table next to the one JFK proposed to Jackie at and didn't know it until the end. Fun shit like that. They serve high quality food and it was not ridiculously priced. 

3) Sorellina - Solid Italian. We had a lamb Lumache that was excellent but almost too al dente. Everything outside of that was excellent. Their rendition of veal saltimbocca was good but weird. It was basically served as involtini and took away from the flavors, I think.

4) Four Seasons - We stayed here and had high tea one lunch and they do a great job with it if that is your thing. My wife is British and when we spot high tea, I find that we somehow wind up doing it.

5) Bricco - We liked it, but I didn't view it as anything that outpaced quality Italian places in Houston like the original, non-chain Carraba's, Di Marco or Coppa, depending upon dining style preference. The eggplant bake for an appetizer was outstanding. I'd recommend it, just not above the other two dinner places from our visit.

6) Tatte - Local chain of breakfast/brunch/pastry fare. I had a lamb shakshuka that is as good as anything like that I've ever had. This place smokes places like it in Houston such as Common Bond, IMO. It's a chain and it was breakfast, so whatever, but I'd like one around the corner from my office in Houston for breakfast once every week or two.