Boston

durant durant

15 hours ago, Hate said:

What did you get at Bricco?  And how did you enjoy the atmosphere?

I had the veal and beef stuffed agnollotti.  Amongst the best pastas I've ever eaten.  My son had the gnocchi, which when done right, is finominle, and this was done right.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...

Heading to Boston in a couple of weeks.  Have the trip mostly planned out but needed some food recs for local places.  Will have about 15 people there including multiple kids aged 6-10.  Nothing fancy or pricey because of the group size and kids.  Staying a little west of Boston in Needham but will be in and around Boston for multiple days.  Need ideas for all days but definitely need one restaurant between the Fenway Park area and the airport.  Thanks for any help.

Just now, txhorns said:

Heading to Boston in a couple of weeks.  Have the trip mostly planned out but needed some food recs for local places.  Will have about 15 people there including multiple kids aged 6-10.  Nothing fancy or pricey because of the group size and kids.  Staying a little west of Boston in Needham but will be in and around Boston for multiple days.  Need ideas for all days but definitely need one restaurant between the Fenway Park area and the airport.  Thanks for any help.

Chili's.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:37 PM, txhorns said:

Santarpio's Pizza, East Boston very close to Logan.  Any seafood option chosen should have a view of the ocean.

• 3 months later...

Gonna be in Boston for one night with my daughter on our way to Martha’s Vineyard. Get in about noon Saturday and leave the next morning. Any recs for great hotel with good area to walking around and good restaurants close by? Only one night so not so worried about cost if we can find a memorable place. Appreciate Hate’s recs above but it’s been a few years since he posted so wanted to check. Thanks

Ps would love to to see the Sox (they play at 4 sat) but daughters not a huge baseball fan and my boy would be pissed if I did that w/o him.

It’s been two years since I was there and I would stay in the exact same place. You can walk 5 minutes to a bunch of great restaurants. Paul Revere’s house is 5 minutes away. The rest of the things you want to see are a short Uber ride away. Go to Mike’s Pastry on Hanover and bring cash. They don’t take credit cards.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't disagree but I'd also recommend the Omni Parker House. You can easily walk to the North End but it's more centrally located so you can see the State House and the Common right there too. Plus they invented the Boston cream pie there and my colleague who ate two every day we were there for a week swears by them. 

And I missed the earlier posts but if I had a large crowd, including kids, I'd probably go to Mother Anna's in the North End. It's not the best restaurant there by any stretch of the imagination, but it's affordable and the lobster ravioli and Chicken Creation are legitimately excellent.  

And no person who goes to the North End should skip Mike's. The experience is memorable and the cannolis are good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Mamma Maria is solid.

Mike's. You can find a connoli pretty much elsewhere if that is what you are looking for. Including Modern Pastry a block away without the line.

Mike's does have some other bad ass pasties though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/20/2023 at 4:01 PM, Gale Snoats said:

Gonna be in Boston for one night with my daughter on our way to Martha’s Vineyard. Get in about noon Saturday and leave the next morning. Any recs for great hotel with good area to walking around and good restaurants close by? Only one night so not so worried about cost if we can find a memorable place. Appreciate Hate’s recs above but it’s been a few years since he posted so wanted to check. Thanks

Ps would love to to see the Sox (they play at 4 sat) but daughters not a huge baseball fan and my boy would be pissed if I did that w/o him.

On 7/21/2023 at 8:41 AM, BHMCruiser said:

I'd also recommend the Omni Parker House.

We've stayed at the Parker House many times, and the proximity to Fanueil Hall and the North End is tough to beat. My favorite North End spot is Carmelina's, but you'll definitely need a reservation, Mamma Mia's and Giacomo's are good options. Neptune Oyster is up there too. It's really good and walk-in only. Don't skip the Mike's Pastry experience (cash only).

On our most recent trip we stayed at The Newbury, and it was awesome. Saltie Girl is a few blocks away if you're looking for seafood. The hotel's fine dining restaurant is Contessa, which I understand is notoriously fussy so we skipped, but we had a great breakfast at The Street Bar on the first floor. Good spot for a short trip and a block away from the Arlington T stop.

Get last minute tickets to a Sox game, go walk around the bars on Landsdowne before hand, and stay for as much of the game as you want. There's no place like Fenway, and if the investment isn't huge, you won't feel guilty sneaking out early once your daughter has her fill.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 6:01 PM, Gale Snoats said:

Back Door Donuts in Oak Bluffs opens at 7:00 pm, get your hot apple fritters there. Fun vibe in the line outside. 

• 3 weeks later...

Headed to Boston this Thursday for the weekend, staying in the Seaport District. I've been once before so I've seen most of the historical stuff, but it's been a few years so I'm still open to any/all suggestions, especially for food. We're gonna walk all over so I'm not really restricted by location.  

Wife and kids are going to a concert at Fenway (yeah Morgan Wallen, kill me), so I'm looking for a bar in that area to post up while they waste my money.  Hung out at the Baseball Tavern last time and enjoyed it, but I just read they closed in 2020.  Love to find something super local/divey if anyone has any ideas.

Just walk around in the Fenway area until you see something you like. Bukowski Tavern just outside Fenway is my favorite, not really a dive, but nice spot. Perfect for solo drinking at the bar - good food if you want a bite to eat.

Edited by mycox
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fuck. I need to put this on alert when it goes off. I've missed a ton of trips here.

I live here.

One piece of bad news - you are coming to Boston during Restaurant Week - brings in a lot of non "restauranteurs"

But my recommendations:

Seaport? That is my jam. I used to work there. I should get a job there again.

Places I recommend:

Top Flight:

• Row 34 - some of the best seafood you can get (get a reservation)
  • Sportello - Great modern pasta. This doesn't appear on a quick restaurant search (also get a reservation)
  • Moo.... - I love their Beacon Hill location, I haven't tried the one in Seaport, but I would expect it to be good (reservation)
  • Trillium - just to get their beer, but their food is solid

Just a notch below

• Lucky's Lounge - a good pub, I have a soft spot for this place, their food is sneaky good (quail egg sliders)
  • Pastoral - easy to do. Good drinks, solid pizza.
  • The Barking Crab - a fun seafood joint
  • Sullivan's Castle Island - ok, not in the Seaport and a touch of a walk/drive - but really solid fried seafood

Some Breakfast places:

• Flour - your best choice (IMHO)
  • Tatte - there are a few in the area, easy and quick, not as good
  • Kane's Donuts - Donut shop

Also, just avoid any of the "Mexican" places in Seaport - they suck. You will be sad you spent your money on them (especially Pink Taco).

Fenway Area
First a transit note - you can take the Framingham/Worcester (pronounced Wuster) commuter line from South Station, it will cost more but likely be less crowded than the Green Line. If you take the Green Line - EXIT AT KENMORE NOT FENWAY!!!

Now places immediately around Fenway, they are just ok. Cask & Flagon probably would match the Baseball Bar you hung out last time.

I will second Bukowski's because it's an institution.

I will stop there, unless you want more recommendations.

BTW - you want dive bar, you are near the dive-iest bar in all of Mass at the Seaport - Biddy Early's - That is THE dive bar. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Stuff for basically teens ... that's a tough not having a teen yet.

I certainly would say The Barking Crab for sure. That's the most kid friendly of all the places I listed. James Hook across the channel is also good, but i think the Barking Crab is just a bit more kid fun.

You're also very close to Chinatown, there are some great Dim Sum places in there. I would recommend China Pearl, but from what I can tell it's being renovated right now. There are a ton of other places to find though.

Kings is right in the Seaport and could be something to do. Though the retro gamer in me like Versus over in Downtown Crossing more.

If you get some adult only time and like cocktails - I recommend Drink - below Sportello.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/11/2023 at 9:52 PM, Captain Ron said:

Fuck. I need to put this on alert when it goes off. I've missed a ton of trips here.

I live here.

One piece of bad news - you are coming to Boston during Restaurant Week - brings in a lot of non "restauranteurs"

But my recommendations:

Seaport? That is my jam. I used to work there. I should get a job there again.

Places I recommend:

Top Flight:

• Row 34 - some of the best seafood you can get (get a reservation)
  • Sportello - Great modern pasta. This doesn't appear on a quick restaurant search (also get a reservation)
  • Moo.... - I love their Beacon Hill location, I haven't tried the one in Seaport, but I would expect it to be good (reservation)
  • Trillium - just to get their beer, but their food is solid

Just a notch below

• Lucky's Lounge - a good pub, I have a soft spot for this place, their food is sneaky good (quail egg sliders)
  • Pastoral - easy to do. Good drinks, solid pizza.
  • The Barking Crab - a fun seafood joint
  • Sullivan's Castle Island - ok, not in the Seaport and a touch of a walk/drive - but really solid fried seafood

Some Breakfast places:

• Flour - your best choice (IMHO)
  • Tatte - there are a few in the area, easy and quick, not as good
  • Kane's Donuts - Donut shop

Also, just avoid any of the "Mexican" places in Seaport - they suck. You will be sad you spent your money on them (especially Pink Taco).

Fenway Area
First a transit note - you can take the Framingham/Worcester (pronounced Wuster) commuter line from South Station, it will cost more but likely be less crowded than the Green Line. If you take the Green Line - EXIT AT KENMORE NOT FENWAY!!!

Now places immediately around Fenway, they are just ok. Cask & Flagon probably would match the Baseball Bar you hung out last time.

I will second Bukowski's because it's an institution.

I will stop there, unless you want more recommendations.

BTW - you want dive bar, you are near the dive-iest bar in all of Mass at the Seaport - Biddy Early's - That is THE dive bar. 

My knowledge is over 20 years old but how does Biddy Early's compare to Beacon Hill Pub as a dive bar?

• Hook 'Em 1

You could take your kids and walk up to the top of the Bunker Hill monument. It will be the worst thing you ever make them do and they will never complain on a family trip again. 

just imagine doing 300 steps on a stairmaster that is slowly spinning in a hot, airless, dark tunnel that smells like warm vomit and urine

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

My knowledge is over 20 years old but how does Biddy Early's compare to Beacon Hill Pub as a dive bar?

Open vs Closed.

Beacon Hill Pub closed just over a year ago when a new owner got it. It was a far superior bar to BE's. That place was actually good.

In terms of things to do - Boston isn't short of that. I mean there are tons of tours (Duck boats, The Freedom trail, etc). Near/in seaport there are the Boston Tea Party Museum and The Boston Fire Museum. You can get over to see the Constitution, which is close to the Bunker Hill Monument. You could just walk around Boston Common and the Public Garden.

Once place I forgot - Eataly in the Pru. It's an Italian market/restaurant - pretty fun and good place. that might work for a family on their way to Fenway - giving you a chance to hit a lot of options before going to the concert.

Cardullo's over in the Seaport is also a solid easy place. They have a deli counter where you can get Italian sandwiches. It's really good. It's a road we called Chipotle Row because every restaurant between Chipotle and Cardullo's was a variety of cuisine in the same fast casual style as Chipotle (sushi, Mediterranean, Indian, etc).

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/14/2023 at 2:01 PM, Captain Ron said:

Once place I forgot - Eataly in the Pru. It's an Italian market/restaurant 

Nah, we have one in Dallas 😁

Thanks again for all the info. Much appreciated. Glad I got them tickets to the Thursday night show as it looks like all kinds of rain on Friday, at least during the day.  Might have to hit a museum or something.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:52 PM, Captain Ron said:

Row 34 - some of the best seafood you can get (get a reservation)

Seconded. Bummed they closed Island Creek Oysters at the Kenmore stop, but we made it over to Row 34, and it was as good (or better) than I had hoped.

My unsolicited report:

Trip was a success. Got in Thursday afternoon and took the water taxi over to Seaport. Stayed at the Hyatt Place, which i highly recommend- brand new hotel and the views were incredible. Grabbed some sandwiches next door at J. Pace deli (pretty much a clone of Jimmy's in Dallas) that were great.  Got cleaned up and Uber'd to Fenway.

I wanted my kids to take in Fenway before the concert so we made a couple of trips around the outside and then I sent them in.  Left me a good 4-5 hours to walk around by myself.  Stopped in at the Bleacher Bar and Loretta's (felt like a college bar but the girl playing that night was great) before taking a stroll over to Dillon's and Bukowski. Enjoyed all of them. 

Spent the next day hitting all the historical sites and parks, along with Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and the North End. Stopped by the South Station while walking all the way back to Seaport (we walked both ways). Had a blast. 

We'd done everything I wanted to do that day so when the kids asked to go back to Fenway and just hang out outside during that night's show (Morgan Wallen played three nights) I said what the hell.  I love that place. So we went back there and had a quick dinner at the Yard House (yeah I know, but it was good and the service was great) and walked over to Fenway. I can't sit still so I did some more walking around and stopped in at Tasty Burger for a snack/beer.

Walked halfway back- stopped by JP Lick's for ice cream- fucking awesome. Coffee cookies & cream ftw. Saw two dudes outside wearing Terry Black's hats and chatted them up.  They were bbq freaks that travel all over for it.  Good dudes, but you can say that about most people in Boston.  Caught an Uber at the Pru.

Next day we hit the Pru (yeah we stopped by Eataly 😁) and Newbury (that street will break your bank). Bunch of street shopping as well.  I couldn't believe the prices at the Farmer's Market.  Insanely cheap.  Flew out Saturday night. 

So yeah, it was awesome.  I won't be waiting another eight years to go back this time.  Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Edited by threesheets
  • Hook 'Em 1

My 5 second review of Loretta’s: it’s as if someone from Boston went to Austin and went to The Broken Spoke. Came back and told their friend about it. And that friend tried to open a copy of it in Boston. 

Glad you had a good time. If I was in town I might have tried to meet you for a beer (week 2 of 3 in Vermont). Next time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm heading up to Boston for three nights this weekend with my wife for a little belated birthday weekend for me. I have been to Boston once, for two nights, to pitch a potential investor on a business a group of us had started. The investor told us "no thanks" and gave us his Fenway tickets and we got to see a Red Sox game as a consolation prize. We took the game in for a bit, left after Sweet Caroline and then we went to some Italian place where I drank my sorrows away to the tune of 7 dirty martinis. Flew out the next morning on the worst hangover flight I have ever had. BTW, dude should have invested in that one as we had a fun exit. 

Anyway, that all considered, looking for newer recs or confirmations since that was my only visit and my wife has never been. 

We have reservations at:

Yvonne's, Sorellina Boston, and Ostra

I know nothing of these restaurants. My wife picked them based off of recs from friends and stuff she read online. I've read the two Boston threads here and don't see these places mentioned which makes me nervous. 

Got a lunch reservation at Omni Parker House for the chowder, Boston cream pie, and parker house rolls, since I've seen them all on Food Network shows at times and it seems fun. 

Doing the Freedom Trail. Will do plenty of snacking and drinking and walking. 

If there are any must-dos or if we've made mediocre dining choices, any help from the locals is appreciated. 

11 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Go to Dunkin’ Donuts.

I'm going to go to Samuel Adams' brewery while wearing a white tank top and my Red Sox hat, on backwards. I'll be chugging boring Boston lager bottle after bottle while hammering stale dunkin' donuts by the handful until I'm vomiting uncontrollably and being rushed to a hospital for mediocrity poisoning.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/20/2023 at 6:01 PM, Gale Snoats said:

I have a similar deal this Summer.  The boy has a weeklong program at BU, so I need to fly up to pick him up on Saturday.  They get released around 1:00.  

My current plan is to have him Uber over to the hotel.  I just got a room at the Hilton at Logan, because we have an early flight Sunday morning.  And then the Red Sox have a 4:00 game.  Then go over to Legal's for dinner.  I know.  It's a chain.  But I've always had good experiences there.  And I can get a lobster and the boy can get a steak--the variety of the menu is a bit of a selling point.

@Captain Ron--I'm definitely open to suggestions (particularly on the restaurant point).  And any updates for 2024 are greatly appreciated.

Been to Yvonne’s, it’s nice. Al’s Grandfather use to visit the establishment when you could also bang whores upstairs back in that day. /csb

There are nice restaurants in every city, seek out places that may have character, and you will find them in Boston. Red Sox bars around Fenway, Sullivan’s Tap by TD Garden on game days are full of character and characters. Santarpio’s on the East end, Kelly’s Roast Beef in Revere, are 2 of Al’s favorites. 
North End and Back Bay, you can’t go wrong. 
You have never see more pizza, bars, ice cream and donuts per capita until you walk around Boston. 
And go to DD, get an Iced coffee, there is a reason for having +1000 locations in Massachusetts.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'm heading up to Boston for three nights this weekend with my wife for a little belated birthday weekend for me. I have been to Boston once, for two nights, to pitch a potential investor on a business a group of us had started. The investor told us "no thanks" and gave us his Fenway tickets and we got to see a Red Sox game as a consolation prize. We took the game in for a bit, left after Sweet Caroline and then we went to some Italian place where I drank my sorrows away to the tune of 7 dirty martinis. Flew out the next morning on the worst hangover flight I have ever had. BTW, dude should have invested in that one as we had a fun exit. 

Anyway, that all considered, looking for newer recs or confirmations since that was my only visit and my wife has never been. 

We have reservations at:

Yvonne's, Sorellina Boston, and Ostra

I know nothing of these restaurants. My wife picked them based off of recs from friends and stuff she read online. I've read the two Boston threads here and don't see these places mentioned which makes me nervous. 

Got a lunch reservation at Omni Parker House for the chowder, Boston cream pie, and parker house rolls, since I've seen them all on Food Network shows at times and it seems fun. 

Doing the Freedom Trail. Will do plenty of snacking and drinking and walking. 

If there are any must-dos or if we've made mediocre dining choices, any help from the locals is appreciated. 

I find nothing wrong with the restaurants picked. They all look or are solid.

I will say this - If you find a place that is unique to Boston like those, you are likely not going to go wrong.

Some other places I recommend in that same vein:

No. 9 Park - one of Barbara Lynch's places in town - all are great

Row 34 - top notch high end seafood

Fox & The Knife - been a long time since I've been but a great place, Broadway is an underrated place in Boston

Oleana - Cambridge, great little small place.

If you're looking for breweries:

Trillium - Fort Point - too many East Coast IPAs, but also a good selection of other things too.

Lamplighter - Cambridge and Cambridge Crossing - see Trillium. I find these two to be 1 and 1A in Boston Metro.

Some other things to do:

If you're here a day the Constitution is open, I recommend it - with the right tour guide, it can be really fun

Beacon Hill Monument 

Museums - Boston has so many, MFA, ICA, Isabella Gardner, Harvard. You could make an entire trip for a week out of this

44 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I have a similar deal this Summer.  The boy has a weeklong program at BU, so I need to fly up to pick him up on Saturday.  They get released around 1:00.  

My current plan is to have him Uber over to the hotel.  I just got a room at the Hilton at Logan, because we have an early flight Sunday morning.  And then the Red Sox have a 4:00 game.  Then go over to Legal's for dinner.  I know.  It's a chain.  But I've always had good experiences there.  And I can get a lobster and the boy can get a steak--the variety of the menu is a bit of a selling point.

@Captain Ron--I'm definitely open to suggestions (particularly on the restaurant point).  And any updates for 2024 are greatly appreciated.

If you must do Legal's - hit up their test kitchen, much more interesting.

But I would swap them out for Row 34, Neptune Oyster or Saltie Girl.

Also with a Sunday morning flight, getting to Logan from the city is ridiculously easy - I would stay in the city if possible.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I stated up thread from a couple of years ago, but Bricco, in the old Italian section, is some of the best Italian I've eve had.

Head down into the alley on the right side of Bricco and get sandwiches from the pasta shop, absolutely amazing, pickled octopus and mozzarella balls too. Fresh bread on the opposite side below the restaurant is also a treat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you spend a lot of time in an uber driving back and forth from one place to the next, you'll miss a lot of Boston.  I highly suggest getting out and walking around/pub crawling it.  I also think the average restaurants in Boston still overachieve compared to average restaurants somewhere like Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Head down into the alley on the right side of Bricco and get sandwiches from the pasta shop, absolutely amazing, pickled octopus and mozzarella balls too. Fresh bread on the opposite side below the restaurant is also a treat. 

I assumed you'd think it was low grade dog food.