Isla Holbox

Hollywood

• 1 year later...

Planning the rest of this year's vacation, and I've got a week in late Oct/early Nov for me and the wife, and a little over a week for us and the boys (will be 14 and 16) after Christmas.  After a great family trip to IM last go-round, I'm thinking about Holbox for one of those trips.  We (including the boys) are pretty low key, so I don't think they'd be bored on Holbox, but would those of y'all who have been say it's a better couples or family trip?

Or...
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

On 8/20/2019 at 9:41 AM, Hollywood said:

We went in March and loved it. Beat of beating to get to from CUN, but we rented a private shuttle and then took the ferry and then taxis to the house. Once settled we could walk to town and then explored via the golf cart.

Our house
14256e67c7882de98d25405bef5a2285.jpg

Our view:
61cd40d059e820f939d00032a10a10d0.jpg

Other photos:
7c3c28e038e8b9fdb86be45c0757e373.jpg178e87f785a456217234772ec43c0921.jpgbd32ca4d5cf4752fd1b0184e63de3f77.jpg
8b3e6a6d8f6ab0db1a63d827f715592e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We stayed there. I just saw this. It’s slow for kids but we LOVED it. I posted about it on TOS on the IM thread. It’s unreal how awesome it is.  I hope your kids enjoy it. 

I too think there are major infrastructure challenges namely it’s not close to Cancun. But it will develop so get it while it’s still good.

I’ll dig up our pics later and post. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

Thanks, troph.  I remembered you and your gal loved it, but couldn't recall if y'all took kids. 

I was trying to track down the place you and @Hollywood stayed, do either of you mind sharing?  Looking at either a couple hotel rooms or doing the Airbnb thing.  I inevitably over-agonize when trying to pick a place to stay, but it looks like there are a lot of good choices within easy walking distance to the fun stuff.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What aged kids ?

our days went like this - We woke up late, did adult things, then went to the beach, I read a lot, we laid on the beach and enjoyed tequila on the rocks, fresh pico and guac, went for a swim to cool off - love how clean the water was - and did that on a cycle for a few hours - then height of the heat of the day I napped in a hammock in doors to sleep off day drinking, then we got dressed - walked out to watch the sunset then walked to the square and picked a restaurant. After dinner we went back did adult things. Some days we added a lunch spot but usually left eating out for dinner.  

You can find excursions but I think Holbox is best at the slowest pace you can tolerate imo. I will not take my kids there for a while, at least not until they understand the magic of truly wasting a day.  I’m sure others found it ok for kids and I’m sure you could too, I would expect it to be more challenging than IM. As long as you’re ready for that.

there aren’t that many options for staying if it’s the same as when we went, I’d get water front hotel and go from there - being on the water is where it’s at for Holbox. Accommodations we stayed at were Mexico beach nice. 

still traveling back I’ll find the hotel and post more pics tomorrow. 

Edited by troph

We didn’t stay at the same place it has some similarities - looking back on it we booked late and so we ended up staying here (no pool) - hotel la palapa - adult oriented sadly only meant no kids https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g616319-d1059543-Reviews-Beachfront_Hotel_La_Palapa_Adult_Oriented-Holbox_Island_Yucatan_Peninsula.html?m=19905

I’d stay water front with a pool, get the view and call it a success. 

• 1 year later...

What is a realistic travel time from the ferry terminal in Holbox to the Cancun airport?   The published ferry schedule starts at 5 am and is hourly until roughly 8 am and then 30 min spacing for the rest of the day.   Is that close to accurate?  Are the private transports waiting in Chiquila to pick us up for the airport ride?  I don't get easily stressed but if I need to pad a 20 minute wait here, and a 20 minute wait there, I want to make sure I have a late enough departure.