Alesund-Gierangerfjord-Runde Norway - thoughts?

Brisketexan

Okay, I had an earlier post on our planned Norway trip, but we're changing things up.  We HAD been looking at going to Bergen, and maybe Lofoten (we like the outdoors/nature take on Norway, so want to do some of that).

Based on talking with our Norwegian exchange student, we are going to Alesund and Gierangerfjord (my wife is pining for the fjords).  Figuring that if we spend 3-4 days in that area, we can spend some time really driving/trekking/boating around gierangerfjord,, and maybe even areas up closer to Alesund (found a cool cabin by the sea nearby that would be ideal).  That would even allow us to go to Runde island to hike and see the puffins (my daughter is obsessed with puffins, so she'd be thrilled by that jaunt).

But, anyone with experiences in and around that area?  Of course we want to see Gieranger and the various view points around it.  But we also like kayaking, fishing (maybe salmon fishing in the river?  Maybe saltwater fishing, although I understand it's mostly cod fishing, and is less exciting bottom fishing), maybe renting a boat (several places rent 25 hp boats) and tooling around the water for half a day, hiiking, etc.  So, any thoughts along those lines, can't-miss places, etc., would be appreciated.  Late June visit.