Graphic Designers

Can someone explain targeted desktop resolution to me like I'm 5? Ok maybe more like I'm 12. 

At the heart - I'm looking for some kind of a graphic to show to people that helps them decide which resolution they want to choose as their standard/targeted desktop resolution. 

Why is this a problem in a responsive world? Because a common complaint is "too much scrolling" and "want everything above the fold". In a responsive world, with multiple breakpoints, I can't seem to marry in my head how different resolutions play with different monitor sizes. The width takes care of itself because everything is responsive, but the verticality is what is in question. 

Common example. Developer builds site to 1366x768. Looks great to developer because he's a gamer nerd using a 26" monitor. Client is using corporate issued shitty Lenovo laptops with 13" monitors. They complain that everything is too big and want us to make it smaller. They want more content above the fold. 

Also hard - getting this explained to you in a way that you can translate to clients by a team of developers with limited social skills. 

I've played with chrome dev tools, Photoshop, etc and I can't come up with a good way to explain this, mostly because I'm not sure I understand it myself. My 12" surface pro uses 2160x1440. It also has a Windows setting of upscaling text and images and icons etc 150%. I can see in Chrome, obviously, where the "fold" is. How does that change on a 14" laptop? A 24" desktop? Does that upscale setting make a difference?

What does 1024x768 look like on a 12", 21", 24"? I read that 800x600 is not dead. I would like to visually depict this if possible in a way that is easy for clients to understand.