Any Board Gamers Up in This Piece?

BoomMF

Stumbled onto this thread. Awesome. 

Azul is really fun. 

We have Quacks of Quedlinburg but when I opened it, it felt overwhelming. Our kids are 10 (four of us). Too early or plow ahead?

8 minutes ago, MrX said:

Azul is really fun. 

We have Quacks of Quedlinburg but when I opened it, it felt overwhelming. Our kids are 10 (four of us). Too early or plow ahead?

Plow ahead. If you're struggling, there are some rules explanation videos on YouTube that are available.

On 1/5/2024 at 9:50 PM, MrX said:

Azul is really fun. 

Kids really get a kick out of Quacks and it's much easier to play than the rules make out. Like SHW said, rules videos and playthroughs abound, but if you play one round you'll see how it all comes together pretty quickly.

Castles of Burgundy is turning out to be one of our most played games. Everyone we show it to loves it. It's not easy to bring around due to the size of the Collector's Edition, but it's worth it.

20231023_004615.thumb.jpg.b13b4d188c81d208f0bdc52ac78b3211.jpg

Speaking of not easy to bring around, but worth it, we got Foundations of Rome back to the table. We had some family over for the holidays and chose this one as an "easy to get into" game. It was a hit. No surprise.

20231219_015140.thumb.jpg.e41ebedcd600b957e5ba04cee62a07e7.jpg

Trying to catch up on the backlog I forced everyone to play 51st State Ultimate Edition. What a great game! I know it's Zee's favorite (his promo is even in the pic), but his are the tastes I'm least sympatico with. Turns out he and I agree on this gem. The game is fast but you feel like you accomplished quite a bit in that amount of time.

20231227_013702.thumb.jpg.a1280b5013b5ae50c52f133e27d949f6.jpg

And speaking of fast, we played Zee's compadre's Last Light KS Edition. It's supposed to be a 4X game that plays in an hour, and it does, but when you're through you don't feel the weight of having just played an epic 4X game. So, I kinda don't see the point since it doesn't really scratch the "4X itch," imo. However, the game that is there is great. Lots of fun decisions that don't make or break your strategy - or, at least, if you play something strategically wrong, you can usually recover quick enough. I dig the production, which is half the reason to even play modern board games obv, but the insert is something from the bowls of hell. Thank goodness for those Etsy designers who do a ton of work creating inserts and giving us the option to snag a cheap STL.

20231121_084320.thumb.jpg.76f716c25adfafb1250c52a3176d5bba.jpg

The kids had some friends over that wanted to try a board game, so we busted Everdell on them and I facilitated. Suffice to say they were amazed at the experience. They came from a Monopoly-is-the-peak background and had no idea what modern gaming has become. It's neat watching that discovery flash across faces, which happens quite a bit!

20231217_234618.thumb.jpg.e52d49cc6f5feb32addfe77e1e9bb9ef.jpg

The wife and I play the app of Terraforming Mars when we travel so it's a game we're both very familiar with. Playing Terraforming Mars: The Dice Game KS is a pared down experience, but hits a lot of what we enjoy about TM.

20231204_212709.thumb.jpg.01e7a5db7dbde140dded0519d9082a02.jpg

We finally played Ankh: Gods of Egypt. It's the all-in pledge so we were not for want of god or guardian options.  This one also plays pretty quickly, but with a lot of simple yet impactful decisions. Your turn is pretty much about 4 main options and the stress of when to trip events. The map gets congested very quickly which is always good fun chaos. We played with the merge mechanic, but I'm not sure we'll play with it again. Everyone enjoyed it otherwise.

20240106_011940.thumb.jpg.fc51a8b4e59267f747787a9d47825176.jpg

But then we played Oathsworn KS and quickly played it again and again. The campaign is fantastic and the app narration is top notch. The music they play during the encounters is choice. I have a bluetooth soundbar below the table, so we crank it up and let the thematic brilliance wash over us. Here's a campaign we might actually finish!

20231207_004145.thumb.jpg.9e518c7dbe5002b61a9d5a3be1af6bf4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/16/2024 at 9:10 AM, morehornsepower said:

@BoomMF Oathsworn looks amazing.  Coming from the Ascension & Carcassonne level of board games, it looks like a big jump in $ investment.  Worth it?

We've been enthralled with the story. If you have room for a campaign game in your life, this is the one to get imo. I've played Gloomhaven, Tainted Grail, ISS Vanguard, and a few other great ones, but this one captured me the way the others couldn't.

If you make it to Chapter 3 and are able to quit playing, you're a stronger person that I.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Friend who works for a tabletop RPG company mentioned a few days ago that Hasbro maybe done with physical D&D books, which means they are done with physical gaming.  All the people responsible may have been a part of the big wave of WOTC layoffs last December.  Can’t find confirmation other than a shitload of people were laid off, and they’ve been going hard on digital for quite a while now. Probably be easy to find on LinkedIn.

Will be a bit sad as there’s been some great books over the past few years, but I have my old books, and these days I mostly play through Roll20 and another service with friends.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think Warhammer is on the same path. Physical books are expensive to produce and store and they're hard to change after-the-fact. Digital resources can be changed on a whim, so I get it. I don't like the idea of not owning something because old. I get satisfaction looking over at the shelf and seeing a string of books, whether I play with them or not.

I play primarily on Fantasy Grounds now, too, and I can't convince myself the experience is better than all of us sitting around a table, but a shit ton more convenient and at this stage in our lives convenience is the only thing that makes it happen anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...