2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

13 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

So who are you going to get that you know for 100 % certainty that he or she will do better than Eilliot and win championship’S

It's worthless message board talk. Texas is never going to fire a coach that makes at least the elite 8 every year, wins conference championships every year, and already has a championship to his name. 

It's like Kansas firing Bill Self in basketball. Actually very similar resumes. Kansas would be the joke of the basketball world if they fired Self. Same would be true with Texas if they fired Elliott. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

When the 'littles' get a ball that is slowed down by the block, they pass it well.  It's 2-3 off the net, and the setter has options.

When they are digging balls that get past the block, they either don't get to it and if they do, it's not controlled well....the ball usually gets passed way off the net and behind the 10' line and then the offense becomes one dimensional and easy to stop because it's going to the left pin.

It was different when we had players like Destinee, Haley, and Bailey who consistently hit over the block....but we don't have players like that anymore.  

Therefore, the staff needs to focus on developing a better defensive back row to stay IN-SYSTEM and have more hitting options. 

Okay, ball control wasn’t good, right? And I’ve always felt like Elliott didn’t recruit the DS position well in terms of scholarships.

9 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

When the 'littles' get a ball that is slowed down by the block, they pass it well.  It's 2-3 feet off the net, and the setter has options.

When they are digging balls that get past the block, they either don't get to it and if they do, it's not controlled well....the ball usually gets passed way off the net and behind the 10' line and then the offense becomes one dimensional and easy to stop because it's going to the left pin.

It was different when we had players like Destinee, Haley, and Bailey who consistently hit over the block....but we don't have players like that anymore.  

Therefore, the staff needs to focus on developing a better defensive back row to stay IN-SYSTEM and have more hitting options. 

This. And it's speculative, but I have sensed that we just don't get to balls that better teams do because of lack of length/athleticism, and poor spacing. 

5 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

Okay, ball control wasn’t good, right? And I’ve always felt like Elliott didn’t recruit the DS position well in terms of scholarships.

DS's don't get scholarships. Liberos do - Petersen, McCoy, Palmer (although she came in as a hybrid athlete that transitioned to Libero), Yogi, and Jennings.

Kisner (my favorite Libero) was an in-state pick-up that started off as a DS and then became the starter when Jenning graduated. Rounsaville and Hahn and in-state pick-ups as well. 

Edited by TexasDPT

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's worthless message board talk. Texas is never going to fire a coach that makes at least the elite 8 every year, wins conference championships every year, and already has a championship to his name. 

It's like Kansas firing Bill Self in basketball. Actually very similar resumes. Kansas would be the joke of the basketball world if they fired Self. Same would be true with Texas if they fired Elliott. 

Agreed. I would be all for replacing Elliott if there was 100 % certainty that a coach would do better. And you also have to keep in mind that Stanford has the built in advantage of great academics for women athletes which is very important in the women sports that don’t get paid a lot professionally.

2 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

DS's don't get scholarships. Liberos do - Petersen, McCoy, Palmer (although she came in as a hybrid athlete that transitioned to Libero), Yogi, and Jennings.

Kisner was an in-state pick-up as are Rounsaville and Hahn.

I did not know that. Since that is the case if seems like Coach Elliott and his staff have to do a better job of evaluating the position. 

5 minutes ago, Goodman said:

He has made Gregory the best home court in America, a very weak league since NU left and taken advantage of ATX as a recruiting tool but he is not an elite coach.

Elliott has missed on chances to win another national championship but the idea he isn't an "elite coach" is just absurd. 

Almost everyone in college volleyball would say he's a top 5ish coach in the game. 

When you get teams to the elite 8 every year and have a title to your name.....you're an elite coach. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Sandlot said:

Agreed. I would be all for replacing Elliott if there was 100 % certainty that a coach would do better. And you also have to keep in mind that Stanford has the built in advantage of great academics for women athletes which is very important in the women sports that don’t get paid a lot professionally.

As do we and Florida, Michigan, UCLA, Berkeley.....we have ATX to sell on top of great academics and the best home court in america. 

6 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Ball control and defense never have and never will be good under JE. 

He has made Gregory the best home court in America, a very weak league since NU left and taken advantage of ATX as a recruiting tool but he is not an elite coach.

Interesting, I don’t think the Coach before Elliott took advantage of this supposedly great recruiting advantage of being in ATX. And last time I checked recruiting is a part of coaching. The coach that got fired at Oregon right? Every coach has their strengths and weakness.

Edited by Sandlot

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

As do we and Florida, Michigan, UCLA, Berkeley.....we have ATX to sell on top of great academics and the best home court in america. 

Or maybe Elliott is an elite recruiter. You don't pull recruits like he has from all over the country unless you can recruit. 

You can question some of Elliott's deficiency's like ball control and so on but when you start downplaying his recruiting ability it's laughable. He's probably the best recruiter in college volleyball. 

Elliott would recruit well at any P5 program in the country. If it's so easy to recruit top 5 classes every year to Austin we need to fire every other coach on campus because they can't do it. 

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Elliott has missed on chances to win another national championship but the idea he isn't an "elite coach" is just absurd. 

Almost everyone in college volleyball would say he's a top 5ish coach in the game. 

When you get teams to the elite 8 every year and have a title to your name.....you're an elite coach. 

I mean the perception is that he is elite due to the facts you cite. So he is elite. 

But Goodmans points are legit. He's a nobody in the B1G or PAC12. 

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean the perception is that he is elite due to the facts you cite. So he is elite. 

But Goodmans points are legit. He's a nobody in the B1G or PAC12. 

Meh. I don't like these discussions because there are two sides to the coin. We would have fewer conference championships if we played in the B1G or Pact 12 but I think it would also help us to play in more competitive conferences come tournament time. 

The Big 12 obviously isn't nearly the same level conference as the PAC 12 or B1G but you don't consistently make the final 4/elite 8 unless you're an elite coach. 

There's no doubt that Elliott has squandered some chances to win another national title but the idea he isn't an "elite coach" is laughable. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

Interesting, I don’t think the Coach before Elliott took advantage of this supposedly great recruiting advantage of being in ATX. And last time I checked recruiting is a part of coaching. Every coach has their strengths and weakness.

Haley got an NC when Texas was an outsider then fucked up and left for the Olympics. If he had stuck around he might well have. 

He apparently is a bit of a dick while Elliott is not. 

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Do you mean coaching or conditioning? 

Poor defensive back row and overall ball-control coaching.....they need to be trained to do more than just get a hard-driven ball up....they need to train to consistently pass it close to the net and up TO the setter....same goes for serve-receive.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Meh. I don't like these discussions because there are two sides to the coin. We would have fewer conference championships if we played in the B1G or Pact 12 but I think it would also help us to play in more competitive conferences come tournament time. 

The Big 12 obviously isn't nearly the same level conference as the PAC 12 or B1G but you don't consistently make the final 4/elite 8 unless you're an elite coach. 

Not to mention its not like BYU is playing the Brazilian team every match in their conference.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

There's no doubt that Elliott has squandered some chances to win another national title but the idea he isn't an "elite coach" is laughable. 

True enough. But as you say it is kind of a conundrum. 

1 minute ago, TexasDPT said:

Poor defensive back row and overall ball-control coaching.....they need to be trained to do more than just get a hard-driven ball up....they need to train to consistently pass it close to the net and up TO the setter....same goes for serve-receive.

So what you’re saying is that Sullivan a guy that’s played and Coached at a high level at other schools doesn’t know what he’s doing.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

True enough. But as you say it is kind of a conundrum. 

It's not much of a conundrum unless you have a coach with multiple national titles  to replace Elliott. 

You don't fire a coach that has a title to his name and makes the elite 8 every year for a total projection type hire. 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's not much of a conundrum unless you have a coach with multiple national titles  to replace Elliott. 

You don't fire a coach that has a title to his name and makes the elite 8 every year for a total projection type hire. 

I don't mean whether to replace him or not, but rather whether he's a really top tier coach or has just positioned himself to appear that way. 

I will say this about Elliott. This is the group that Elliott needs to get his 2nd title. 

Barring attrition we are going to have 3 more years of Gabriel, O'Neal, Butler, Eggleston, Petersen and the elite recruiting class coming in. 

IMO Eggleston will be one of the best players in the country next year. She looked like a 17 year old most of the year but you could tell she started to figure things out at the end of the year. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't mean whether to replace him or not, but rather whether he's a really top tier coach or has just positioned himself to appear that way. 

There has definitely been circumstances that have helped Elliott but you don't have this type consistency unless you're an elite coach. 

I thought that he was saying that this was a normal practice in all of women’s volleyball.

Not to my knowledge. It is definitely JEs practice and apparently he has a pet Centex club that he often taps for ds. One with which his ex-wife was associated. This according to the bitches at volleytalk and could be somewhat corroborated by ds bios. 

5 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

So what you’re saying is that Sullivan a guy that’s played and Coached at a high level at other schools doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Honestly, I think it's coming from up top (Elliott)....it's been his M.O. to develop terminal hitters and blockers...the same effort needs to be placed on serve-receive and back row defense....it'd be even better if he could consistently train his OHs to be true 6-rotation players like Jones-Perry.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Jerritt has his flaws but there’s no question he would win and be successful in any conference.

It's just irritating that every year we have as good a front court as anyone and lose our games in predictable fashion on back court play. 

And it isn't just bitchy fan perception, either. Texas has the rep of not being well rounded. If you can exploit the back court you will win. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Honestly, I think it's coming from up top (Elliott)....it's been his M.O. to develop terminal hitters and blockers...the same effort needs to be placed on serve-receive and back row defense....it'd be even better if he could consistently train his OHs to be true 6-rotation players like Jones-Perry.

Again, I thought the serve receive was solid most of the match until the end of sets. 

Edited by Sandlot

Yeah, I don't buy it either. Elliott isn't an idiot. He knows they need to improve on serve-receive and back row defense. 

For whatever reason, those issues haven't been fixed. Probably more about coaching hires or bad evaluations in recruiting than anything. 

I do think our ball control will improve with Petersen. She's good. 

I find that hard to believe. Even coach Elliott knows the importance of good ball control. 

Well why have the teams sucked at it, with notable exceptions, for Elliott's tenure? He may know it's important the same way we do and have about the same sense of how to coach it as we do. 

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's just irritating that every year we have as good a front court as anyone and lose our games in predictable fashion on back court play. 

And it isn't just bitchy fan perception, either. Texas has the rep of not being well rounded. If you can exploit the back court you will win. 

They have that rep but personally I didn’t think Texas lost today strictly because of it.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well why have the teams sucked at it, with notable exceptions, for Elliott's tenure? He may know it's important the same way we do and have about the same sense of how to coach it as we do. 

Happens all the time. If Texas Tech had a decent defense this past decade in football they probably have at least one national championships. Do you think they don't recognize the problem? 

Most coaches aren't dumb. You don't reach that level of coaching unless you can recognize glaring issues like that. They recognize the problem but that doesn't mean it's easy to fix. Sometimes there are just deficiencies in certain areas with certain coaching staffs. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Happens all the time. If Texas Tech had a decent defense this past decade in football they probably have at least one national championships. Do you think they don't recognize the problem? 

Most coaches aren't dumb. You don't reach that level of coaching unless you can recognize glaring issues like that. They recognize the problem but that doesn't mean it's easy to fix. Sometimes there are just deficiencies in certain areas with certain coaching staffs. 

Well because Leach dgaf about defense or recruiting or coaching it and neither did his boy Kliffy. 

Bad example. 😛😛

IMO it has more to do with recruiting/evaluating the right DS. I’ve always been a person that believed coaching to an extent is overrated. There’s not that many ways to teach someone how to receive serve/control the ball. I always believed that most players come into college with the skill to do so.

Yeah that home court is pretty absurd.  I'm just frustrated. 

This is the annoying thing about volleyball. I would like to see how many teams have held home court over the last few years. It seems like a high percentage. 

Postseason play in this sport seems to be all about the regular season and winning home court. 

I think if we played BYU on a neutral court we win at least 1 or 2 sets tonight. 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So why is Texas consistently the worst top ten ball control team year in/year out?

Watch every elite 8 match and compare Texas' ball control/back row defense to the other elite teams....the drop-off is significant.  

We win most matches because we have a bevy of elite hitters and typically very good blocking that can overpower teams.  But when we go up against teams with similar hitters, we lose because ball control sucks. 

• Like 1

Well because Leach dgaf about defense or recruiting or coaching it and neither did his boy Kliffy. 

Bad example. 😛😛

They definitely care. That's just all fan nonsense. Do you really think coaches at that level are like "hey let's completely ignore one side of the ball and try to win"? 

This is the annoying thing about volleyball. I would like to see how many teams have held home court over the last few years. It seems like a high percentage. 

Postseason play in this sport seems to be all about the regular season and winning home court. 

I think if we played BYU on a neutral court we win at least 1 or 2 sets tonight. 

I’m okay with it because it’s not like Texas hasn’t had the benefit of playing the post season at home.

4 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

I’m okay with it because it’s not like Texas hasn’t had the benefit of playing the post season at home.

No doubt. "Annoying" probably isn't the right language. I actually like the system. I think the top teams should have an advantage.....that's the point of the regular season. 

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

They definitely care. That's just all fan nonsense. Do you really think coaches at that level are like "hey let's completely ignore one side of the ball and try to win"? 

Well some coaches seem to have a blind spot for defense, whatever it's origin or causes. Leach has it. Apparently so does Elliott, and Leach passed it on to Kingsbury and possibly also Riley (fingers crossed). 

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Agreed. And unlike Leach or kingsburry Coach Elliott has the ability to actually recruit quality defensive players.