2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Obvious, and their team defensive spacing is so much better than ours

Yes I have noticed that our spacing is not good a lot of the time. 

But their back row has to be 6' across (average at any given time). 

Edited by TwiceHorn

Oh well, we would have just been run out of the gym for the 3rd time by Stanford any way.  The BYU-Stanford rematch should be good.  We need to get things back on track.  It was getting to where we expected the final four every year, now it's been 2 in a row out at the regional final.

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Consistency, but we should really have multiple national championships in that span. We don’t 

Trust me, I’m as annoyed about it as you. But Texasstrong says we would never do better than Elliot. 

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Oh well, we would have just been run out of the gym for the 3rd time by Stanford any way.  The BYU-Stanford rematch should be good.  We need to get things back on track.  It was getting to where we expected the final four every year, now it's been 2 in a row out at the regional final.

Illini is really good also. Hard hitters just like BYU

2 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

We've been saying this for the past several years.....

Yeah but Cat was an anomaly. She dug tons of stuff and picked up digging slack, but was a subpar passer. We kind of got the passing/setting thing cleared up and now it's as clear as ever that our DS are small and slow and spacing indicates poorly coached or unable to execute. 

Jhenna did an admirable job taking over the setter position....but we need a bigger setter who can LOCATE the ball just like her.

Again, it goes back to floor defense if our block can't stop the opposing hitters.

Jerritt, Erik, and Tonya need to wake the fuck up and start coaching our players up in this aspect of the game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TexasDPT said:

Jhenna did an admirable job taking over the setter position....but we need a bigger setter who can LOCATE the ball just like her.

Again, it goes back to floor defense if our block can't stop the opposing hitters.

Jerritt, Erik, and Tonya need to wake the fuck up and start coaching our players up in this aspect of the game.

Exactly, the block was actually pretty good tonight with the big exception of their hitter with 25 kills. Still got steam rolled.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

An irony earlier in the tournament was they were talking about Elliott's "littles" upping their play and explaining that our DS are little. Because they aren't little anywhere else. Maybe the libero, but not the rest of them. 

Yeah, don't know why they were hyping them up (Autumn/Claire)...they were playing like they have been all year....decent against crap teams and then they fold under pressure against good teams. 

Edited by TexasDPT

1 minute ago, TexasDPT said:

I’m lost, because I didn’t seeing the obvious deficiencies defensively in this match. And of course BYU is going to have more digs when Texas has almost 20 blocks. I’m not saying the back row defense doesn’t need to improve, I just didn’t see it with this match. The home court in my opinion was the difference.

7 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

So who are you going to get that you know for 100 % certainty that he or she will do better than Eilliot and win championship’S

Tree didnt miss a step. It's a consideration, but not the only one. 

Honestly though I bet CDC attempts to prod Elliott to take the next step. Successful stasis was fine under our brain dead AD the last 20 years. CDC will push for improvement even from the second most successful program. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

16 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

I’m lost, because I didn’t seeing the obvious deficiencies defensively in this match. And of course BYU is going to have more digs when Texas has almost 20 blocks. I’m not saying the back row defense doesn’t need to improve, I just didn’t see it with this match. The home court in my opinion was the difference.

When the 'littles' get a ball that is slowed down by the block, they pass it well.  It's 2-3 feet off the net, and the setter has options.

When they are digging balls that get past the block, they either don't get to it and if they do, it's not controlled well....the ball usually gets passed way off the net and behind the 10' line and then the offense becomes one dimensional and easy to stop because it's going to the left pin.

It was different when we had players like Destinee, Haley, and Bailey who consistently hit over the block....but we don't have players like that anymore.  

Therefore, the staff needs to focus on developing a better defensive back row to stay IN-SYSTEM and have more hitting options. 

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Passing fell apart at the end of the set. Pressure from 20 on got to them. Home court was big, but the morms were better.

Absolutely. You have to figure that home court advantage is worth at least 2 points maybe even 3. This match is a 5 setter if played on a neutral court.