Extended Car Warranties

Anyone ever had good / bad luck with extended car warranty ... not the robo-dial ones but at least quasi-legitimate ones offered through ostensibly reputable businesses. The experts seem to say "no" that they are not worth it for virtually all consumers, but curious if there are any contrarian anecdotes / experiences? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Anyone ever had good / bad luck with extended car warranty ... not the robo-dial ones but at least quasi-legitimate ones offered through ostensibly reputable businesses. The experts seem to say "no" that they are not worth it for virtually all consumers, but curious if there are any contrarian anecdotes / experiences? Thanks. 

I would get one if you own a Land Rover product, otherwise pass.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would avoid ones that are not offered directly from the auto maker.   If you buy one at a dealership, you have need to find out if you are tied to bringing back the vehicle to that particular dealership.   Found this out the hard way with a vehicle I bought at a dealership about 29 miles from my house.   A/C goes out and because I took it to a dealership about three miles away, the warranty company said they would not cover it because I was technically within the radius of the dealership who sold the warranty…….29.2 miles to be exact and you needed to be reside outside a 30 mile radius .    Anyway the dealership close by charged me what the extended warranty would have charged and needless to say they earned me as a potential customers for a new purchase in the future if I decide to get a GM truck or SUV in the future.

i used to avoid any extended warranties, but with most major and even some not so major components costing more than what an extended warranty costs, it’s an attractive option now especially if you are keeping the vehicle for the long term which many people appear to be doing so these days.