2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/usa-basketball-trials-brand-name-association

Need someone to talk to? Need an answer? Amazon Echo can take care of all your needs, and Hepa seems to have all the answers on the court. Slated to enroll at Texas in the coming weeks, Shaka Smart has himself a winning ballplayer that does whatever it takes for his team to succeed. 

On Thursday evening, the first session at the under-18 trials, the playing floor was like a library; kids were afraid to speak up, minus Hepa, leaving Bill Self and his coaching staff wanted more from the participants. The Alaskan born forward called out screens like it was game seven of the NBA Finals, applauded his newfound teammates whenever something went their way and celebrated the smallest of wins throughout drills. 

Hepa is a super skilled and polished small ball power forward that will leave an immediate imprint on Texas and his capacity to talk and complete whatever task asked from him was magnified in Colorado.

3 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

Alright, maybe I short-changed him a bit saying he wasn't dominant for any single game. He did have some big games. He also had some crappy games. He was raw and inconsistent. Players like Brodziansky at TCU and Wade at KSU were more valuable because they were simply more polished players playing smarter team ball.

And the larger point is that what got this whole conversation started--this idea that we can't be good next year because Bamba has exited--is stupid.

You might be the dumbest poster on Surly, which is saying something. First, your characterization of Bamba's year last year could not be more wrong.  Second, it's not that we can't be good because we lost Bamba. It's the lack of big men replacing him. We don't have anyone who can come close to replacing his production (and Sims' production as the backup C), therefore there will be a drop off. I don't need advance stats to show this because i can tell with my eyes, but because you're blind as a bat and dumb as a rock, we'll show some stats to back it up. Advanced stats in college basketball are iffy so, again, not relying them but they confirm what's' shown on the eye test. Also, all of these metrics have individual flaws, but the fact that they all agree that Bamba was by far our best big man last year and it wasn't even close should tell you something. Using sports-reference:

Bamba: ORtg: 118.5, DRtg: 89.6 (both of those are fucking elite). WS/40: .212. BPM: 11.2.  These stats are all in the ballpark of what Bagley and Ayton did last year; this is the type of impact Bamba had.

Osetkowski: ORtg: 99.9, DRtg: 101.3. WS/40: .097.  BPM: 3.6.  

Sims: ORtg: 108.4. DRtg: 100.8.  WS/40: .109.  BPM: 2.6.

What these stats tell us: Bamba was great last year and was, by far, our best player, excluding Jones. He and Jones (who had a 121.3 ORtg, confirming what we saw on the court) were shaping up to be All-American level performers until Jones tragically came down with cancer.  Osetkowski is a horribly inefficient offensive player, to the point where he was actually below average last year. This matches the eye test and raw stats, 40% FG, 29% BTA; those are god awful numbers.  Sims was good for a true freshman and will likely become a very good player, but Sophomore Sims would have to take an unbelievably large jump to get to where Bamba was this past year. And once again, it's unlikely we get Sims' production as the backup C last year out of anyone on our roster next year. 

All this stuff is what myself and many other posters saw on the court last year. You perception is way off, and I'm confident this will do nothing to change your mind but whatever, it's good for the rest of the folks to see anyways.

• Like 3

I like that Hepa seems to share that same self-belief that Taylor had at his age. The willingness and want-to to move thousands of miles from home to pursue your dream of playing basketball at the highest level is not something that just any kid could do. This kind of attitude and spirit portends well for the future.

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I like that Hepa seems to share that same self-belief that Taylor had at his age. The willingness and want-to to move thousands of miles from home to pursue your dream of playing basketball at the highest level is not something that just any kid could do. This kind of attitude and spirit portends well for the future.

I like Hepa a lot. I think he's our best bet at being a big contributor as a freshman. If he does, I think it'll be more as a wing/ true stretch 4. I'll be really surprised if he has the strength to hold up down low in his first year. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

Yep, same here. I think his offensive game will be more advanced than his defensive game, and to me that will be the determining factor for how high he can climb. I’m not super worried about his offense going forward, but if he can become a guy who can defend multiple positions then the sky is the limit. He needs to add muscle while gaining lateral quickness, so that might take a while, but there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to shoot and score for us from early on.

Edited by Goo Punch

Just now, Goo Punch said:

Yep, same here. I think his offensive game will be more advanced than his defensive game, and to me that will be the determining factor for how high he can climb. I’m not super worried about his offense going forward, but if he can become a guy who can defend them the sky is the limit. He needs to add muscle while gaining lateral quickness, so that might take a while, but there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to shoot and score for us from early on.

He could be Shaka's first true stretch 4 at Texas.  I think Shaka's offense works best with a stretch 4 but he's never quite had that guy. Lammert was ok but not ideal and Osetkowski can't actually shoot from the perimeter and turns it over a ton. 

6 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

He could be Shaka's first true stretch 4 at Texas.  I think Shaka's offense works best with a stretch 4 but he's never quite had that guy. Lammert was ok but not ideal and Osetkowski can't actually shoot from the perimeter and turns it over a ton. 

Yeah he tried to use Lammert at the stretch 4 when he first got here because of his reliance on that position in his offense prior to coming to Texas, and I believe that if Lammert had had one more year here he would have been great. Shaka’s offense at VCU heavily employed the shooting and spacing that a stretch 4 affords you (WhoooTex posted some really insightful stuff about that back when we signed Shaka- miss you Whooo) but he hasn’t been able to find his ideal guy there at Texas. I thought Lammert did well given the new system and that he wasn’t a perfect fit, but Hepa should do even better as he’s younger and already more suited to the role than Lammert was.

Edited by Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think Hepa would be a great stretch four. The one thing that I will forever be cautious about is predicting a high schooler who projects to be a plus shooter (like Hepa) to make an impact BTA in his first year on campus.

I always preach this, because fans usually expect shooters to be ready day one despite what history tells us. I remember cautioning people in recent years who expected guys like Young and Febres to come in and be shooters right away. I remember going back 20-25 years to find every freshman we’ve had who could shoot and the list was like Booby, AJ, and DJ; that was it. And it’s not even about their shooting talent, it’s about the many vast differences from HS ball to college ball, from work rate, your role on a team, the age and size of the defenders who guard you, the more complex offensive systems, all of it. Shooting with consistency almost always takes a while for freshmen.

Edited by Goo Punch

49 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I always preach this, because fans usually expect shooters to be ready day one despite what history tells us. I remember cautioning people in recent years who expected guys like Young and Febres to come in and be shooters right away. I remember going back 20-25 years to find every freshman we’ve had who could shoot and the list was like Booby, AJ, and DJ; that was it. And it’s not even about their shooting talent, it’s about the many vast differences from HS ball to college ball, from work rate, your role on a team, the age and size of the defenders who guard you, the more complex offensive systems, all of it. Shooting with consistency almost always takes a while for freshmen.

@Bitterwhiteguy posted a fairly exhaustive study a few months ago on Barking Carnival about how outside of a few instances (and these guys get drafted by their sophomore years) elite shooting comes from upperclassmen (with the overwhelming plurality coming from seniors). I’ll post a link to the article again, but it was informative stuff. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

On 5/22/2018 at 1:15 PM, UT Lawnghorn said:

Your talk about the recruiting class is dumb for the reasons Derka pointed out.  There do not appear to be any instant impact guys, so the rank of the recruiting class has very little to do with how the team will perform next year (although I like the class long-term with 4 guys who will likely see their junior year).

Hasn't even been 9 months. Only took about 2 weeks for Kemaka Hepa to expose this guy's stupid opinions.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Hasn't even been 9 months. Only took about 2 weeks for Kemaka Hepa to expose this guy's stupid opinions.

James Banks also made the USA U-18 team, one that was better than this one. If you ever actually gave a single fuck about UT basketball, and made that your focus instead of obsessing over arguing with everyone over everything we would all appreciate it. This combination of hyper-Pollyannaism and hyper aggression is incredibly annoying for everyone else here.

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Hahaha how could my opinion that there don't appear to be any instant impact guys be "exposed?"  Has UT played some games in the last two weeks I don't know about?  

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

James Banks also made the USA U-18 team, one that was better than this one. 

Hepa is a much more ready/polished basketball player than Banks. They aren't even comparable. 

Read any scouting report on Banks it was always "2 or 3 year project". Most think Hepa is ready to contribute in year 1. How much, who knows but the two aren't even comparable. 

Jaxson Hayes is more comparable to Banks. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Hepa is a much more ready/polished basketball player than Banks. They aren't even comparable. 

Read any scouting report on Banks it was always "2 or 3 year project". Most think Hepa is ready to contribute in year 1. How much, who knows but the two aren't even comparable. 

Jaxson Hayes is more comparable to Banks. 

C'mon man. He's not comparing them as similar players. Camel's trying to act like Hepa making the U-18 team means he'll be ready to be a big time player right away. Derka was just pointing out that making the U-18 team doesn't prove anything. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That’s not my point. Come on man. UTL makes a totally fair statement by saying that our recruiting class rank is based more on long term projections than it is the immediate impact that our players will have, and again he was totally fair when he said that we don’t appear to have any instant impact players, and may I point out that he said so on *MAY 22nd*. Now camel is in here quoting old shit just so that he can personally attack and insult another UT fan simply for having a differing opinion, when the reality of the matter is that we haven’t even had played a single game, ipso facto its impossible for UTL’s totally fair take to even be disproven at this point!  

There is no way around this, that is some straight up asshole shit and we don’t need it here. This fucking idiot picks the stupidest fights with fellow UT fans for sport, and frankly he should be suspended from this thread because of it.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

C'mon man. He's not comparing them as similar players. Camel's trying to act like Hepa making the U-18 team means he'll be ready to be a big time player right away. Derka was just pointing out that making the U-18 team doesn't prove anything. 

I don't care about him making the U-18 team. I care about the scouting reports from people watching Hepa at the U18 trials. 

Maybe Camel is a dick for bumping that but his point isn't wrong. I think most would consider Hepa as a potentially impact player in year 1. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I don't care about him making the U-18 team. I care about the scouting reports from people watching Hepa at the U18 trials. 

That's fine. That has nothing to do with point Camel was trying to make or Derka's response to that point. 

I hope Hepa proves me wrong. If any of the freshmen do, it'll probably be him.  Definitely sounds like he's developing at a really good rate. What scouting reports have you seen on him?

Furthermore, all of us, including UTL, would LOVE for Hepa to continue his ascension and become an instant impact player. That is *not* a reason to insult another fan and start these ubiquitous, belligerent-ass fights which are camel’s entire MO. The dude is a total cancer on this thread, and every UT thread in which he posts. He does not want to talk basketball, he wants to show his ass and fight. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Maybe Camel is a dick for bumping that but his point isn't wrong. I think most would consider Hepa as a potentially impact player in year 1. 

His point IS wrong! How can you not see that?! Or did the season already start and the rest of us missed it?

10 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

What scouting reports have you seen on him?

I've seen similar reports at 247, but too lazy to go find them. 

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/usa-basketball-trials-brand-name-association

Need someone to talk to? Need an answer? Amazon Echo can take care of all your needs, and Hepa seems to have all the answers on the court. Slated to enroll at Texas in the coming weeks, Shaka Smart has himself a winning ballplayer that does whatever it takes for his team to succeed. 

On Thursday evening, the first session at the under-18 trials, the playing floor was like a library; kids were afraid to speak up, minus Hepa, leaving Bill Self and his coaching staff wanted more from the participants. The Alaskan born forward called out screens like it was game seven of the NBA Finals, applauded his newfound teammates whenever something went their way and celebrated the smallest of wins throughout drills. 

Hepa is a super skilled and polished small ball power forward that will leave an immediate imprint on Texas and his capacity to talk and complete whatever task asked from him was magnified in Colorado.

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Do you know how many freshmen are projected to have an immediate impact, and who don’t end up doing so? Talking shit to a fellow fan over something that has not even happened yet is incredibly petty, worthless, and totally fucking stupid.

To be fair so is talking shit about a recruiting class having no immediate impact players before they have even played a game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, txhorns said:

To be fair so is talking shit about a recruiting class having no immediate impact players before they have even played a game.

Who talked shit about the revruiting class???? This is not football were dozens of three stars turn into all-conference players on a regular basis. This is basketball. Guys who rank outside the national top 30 by and large Do not end up as instant impact players at a school like Texas or in a conference like the big 12. Saying as much does not come close to talking shit about a recruiting class.

Edited by Goo Punch

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Who talked shit about the revruiting class????

There's been people ranting about no "instant impact players". 

Yet, now your argument is "wait and see" because a player is now being projected as a potential impact player in year 1. 

Hilarious. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

It appears I'm too late to prevent his thread from getting bogged down over the semantics of what "instant impact" means, but I think Hepa can give us 10-15 minutes off the bench with his size, passing and playmaking, and possibly shooting (if we're lucky). That's not Mo Bamba levels of impact but it's also not James Banks or Royce Hamm.

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yet, now your argument is "wait and see". 

Hilarious. 

First off, I have no clue what you are even talking about. UTL making a totally fair and fact-based statement now = “ranting”??? You are simply showing yourself to be a slightly more civilized camel. Anyone who has an opinion which differs from yours deserves a fight. They deserve to have shit talked to them. They deserve to be insulted. This thread needs to be derailed because somebody has an opinion that is different from yours. Jesus fucking Christ. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Good stuff. Thanks for the share. I really don't care if I end up being wrong on that point.  I post enough on here that I'll definitely have opinions that turn out wrong.  We need some more wing/forward types and if Hepa can come in and be a big time contributor, that'll be great.  It's good to hear he's talking and dialed in on defense as that will probably be his limiting factor in playing time/impact his freshman year. 

Just now, txhorns said:

Lulz. Let's slow down a bit, bud. Saying there do not appear to be any instant impact guys is not talking shit about a recruiting class. We were talking about UT's season next year and how much the recruiting class would change the trajectory.  "Instant impact" is obviously a vague term, my point was we didn't have any 5 start type guys who would significantly change our win total for next year coming in, like Bamba/Allen, or even Jones. I'm still not convinced Hepa will have that type of impact, but it's certainly sounding more likely now than when he committed, which is awesome.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

It appears I'm too late to prevent his thread from getting bogged down over the semantics of what "instant impact" means, but I think Hepa can give us 10-15 minutes off the bench with his size, passing and playmaking, and possibly shooting (if we're lucky). That's not Mo Bamba levels of impact but it's also not James Banks or Royce Hamm.

Fuck you and your shit-talking rants about Kamaka Hepa.

-Camel and TexasStrong12

• Fuck You 1

The great thing about this next year is that we shouldn't need any freshman to be impact players.  They should all be relegated to backup minutes and being role players.  That means that we should be able to maximize their strengths while minimizing their weaknesses.  If we do have an impact freshman it will be a big, though, because of the lack of depth there.

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

First off, I have no clue what you are even talking about. UTL making a totally fair and fact/based statement now = “ranting”??? You are simply showing yourself to be a slightly more civilized camel. Anyone who has an opinion which differs from yours deserves a fight. They deserve to have shit talked to them. They deserve to be insulted. This thread needs to be derailed because somebody has an opinion that is different from yours. Jesus fucking Christ. 

I just find the constant negativity funny. 

A let's wait and see if there's impact players would have been a perfectly fair argument. But no, it was "there's absolutely no impact players in this recruiting class". 

Now that there's a player being projected as an instant impact player you have people hedging their bets with "let's wait and see how he does as a FR". 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yet, now your argument is "wait and see" because a player is now being projected as a potential impact player in year 1. 

Hilarious. 

Lulz. Idk why you constantly feel compelled to take up Camel's side while simultaneously misrepresenting peoples' positions, but no one has "ranted" about it. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, I expect him to have that type of role. That's not what I meant when I said "instant impact," but it's a vague term and I don't really give a shit. Us only having 7 non-freshmen next year pretty much dictate that at least one freshman will play those kinds of minutes. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I just find the constant negativity funny. 

A let's wait and see if there's impact players would have been a perfectly fair argument. But no, it was "there's absolutely no impact players in this recruiting class". 

Now that there's a player being projected as an instant impact player you have people hedging their bets with "let's wait and see how he does as a FR". 

You are completely delusional. Nobody said the things that you have put in quotes. You are no better than camel. You do not care about UT basketball nearly as much as you care about being right, to the point that you want to start a bunch of shit with anyone who says anything even remotely different from what you want to hear. You and camel need to fuck off somewhere.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

You are completely delusional. Nobody said the things that you have put in quotes. You are no better than camel. You do not care about UT basketball nearly as much as you care about being right, to the point that you want to start a bunch of shit with anyone who says anything even remotely different from what you want to hear. You and camel need to fuck off somewhere.

lulz

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just so we can put this on record right now for posterity, nobody should ever try and have an objective conversation with either of these two clowns. They are far more interested in starting a fight with you for not being totally Pollyanna than they are discussing the actual team. It is totally asinine.

• Fuck You 1

Just so we can put this on record right now for posterity, nobody should ever try and have an objective conversation with either of these two clowns. They are far more interested in starting a fight with you for not being totally Pollyanna than they are discussing the actual team. It is totally asinine.

Starting a fight? 

I've been posting scouting reports on Hepa that have said he would be an instant impact player for months. Pretty much ignored all the nonsense without bringing it up. 

Starting a fight? 

I've been posting scouting reports on Hepa that have said he would be an instant impact player for months. Pretty much ignored all the nonsense without bringing it up. 

Yes, fuck head, starting a fight. When you defend camel’s combative takes and you mischaracterize everything being said by your fellow longhorn fans and turn it into yet another, “see I told you so” argument before any of it has even played out yet, that’s starting a fight. Hepa has not played a single minute at Texas, and he has never projected to be the type of impact player UTL and the rest of us have been talking about, not even now. But again, you have less than zero interest in having any sort of civil, rational discussion about the kid. You are obsessed with being right to the point of total delusion.

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The king of mature, rational, well-thought-out response we’ve all come to expect from you. You can continue creating fights where there are none now. Go ahead.You can continue creating fights where there are none now. Go ahead.

I'm sure you will send me a 5 page novel in a DM to prove your maturity and rationality. 

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Hepa has not played a single minute at Texas,

right, so it's tough to figure out what impact he will have at Texas. That would have been a perfectly fair argument.

"Hey Hepa hasn't played a single minute at Texas so we really don't know what impact he will have at Texas. Maybe he's legit or maybe he plays like a FR." But there were plenty of posters in these threads that were sure we didn't have an instant impact player in this recruiting class. 

Now that there's a player actually being projected as an instant impact player it's shifted to "hey let's wait and see what he does as a FR". 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

right, so it's tough to figure out what impact he will have at Texas. That would have been a perfectly fair argument.

"Hey Hepa hasn't played a single minute at Texas so we really don't know what impact he will have at Texas. Maybe he's legit or maybe he plays like a FR." But there were plenty of posters in these threads that were sure we didn't have an instant impact player in this recruiting class. 

Now that there's a player actually being projected as an instant impact player it's shifted to "hey let's wait and see what he does as a FR". 

You live in a fantasy world. I promise you that if you go back and try to catalog these instances of people shitting on our incoming freshman class you will be sorely disappointed to find out that it’s all in your head. Please, for everyone’s sake, go do that. Go back find these egregious instances of people flip flopping over this incoming class. I’m dying to see what you think you’ve seen from the rest of our posters. Go find the quotes and links and show me exactly what you think you are talking about.

You live in a fantasy world. I promise you that if you go back and try to catalog these instances of people shitting on our incoming freshman class you will be sorely disappointed to find out that it’s all in your head. Please, for everyone’s sake, go do that. Go back find these egregious instances of people flip flopping over this incoming class. I’m dying to see what you think you’ve seen from the rest of our posters. Go find the quotes and links and show me exactly what you think you are talking about.

I've never once said that posters shitted on our recruiting class. But there's been several that have said we didn't have an instant impact player. I don't care enough to go find old posts. 

• Fuck You 1