2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Now that there's a player actually being projected as an instant impact player it's shifted to "hey let's wait and see what he does as a FR". 

This literally has never happened. This is you starting a fight out of nothing. 

Edit: oh okay, but you don’t care enough to back up what you say, coming from the guy who’s gone and looked up countless posts of mine off of the old site whenever he thinks he has a point. Great job as usual.

Edited by Goo Punch

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

This literally has never happened. This is you starting a fight out of nothing. 

It's literally the argument you are trying to make right now. That we don't know what impact Hepa will have because he hasn't played a single minute. 

Edited by texasstrong12

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I just find the constant negativity funny. 

A let's wait and see if there's impact players would have been a perfectly fair argument. But no, it was "there's absolutely no impact players in this recruiting class". 

Now that there's a player being projected as an instant impact player you have people hedging their bets with "let's wait and see how he does as a FR". 

I realize you and Derka have a thing and I guess I've gotten interjected into this because I agree with Derka for the most part on next season. Idk who you're quoting there but teh words I used that Camel quoted were, "There do not appear to be any instant impact guys, so the rank of the recruiting class has very little to do with how the team will perform next year (although I like the class long-term with 4 guys who will likely see their junior year)."  

That's nothing like what you're quoting above.  Also, that was in response to Camel comparing our recruiting class to some of the top ones in the nation in terms of how it would affect next year's team.  My point was that our class was not comparable to a class like KU's in terms of impact next year.   

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Starting a fight? 

I've been posting scouting reports on Hepa that have said he would be an instant impact player for months. Pretty much ignored all the nonsense without bringing it up. 

You've been drastically misstating and mischaracterizing this whole time. You're clearly trying to pick a fight today, starting with your post about how Banks and Hepa aren't comparable when Derka (nor anyone else) said they were. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

right, so it's tough to figure out what impact he will have at Texas. That would have been a perfectly fair argument. "Hey Hepa hasn't played a single minute at Texas so we really don't know what impact he will have at Texas". 

But there were plenty of posters in these threads that were sure we didn't have an instant impact player in this recruiting class. 

Now that there's a player actually being projected as an instant impact player it's shifted to "hey let's wait and see what he does as a FR". 

Again, this is a drastic mischaracterization. Camel is trying to act like Hepa's already had an instant impact. That can't be known til next year. It's not a position change, it's a response to Camel's idiocy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's literally the argument you are trying to make right now. That we don't know what impact Hepa will have because he hasn't played a single minute. 

Wow. This is my fault. You really are this stupid, and I just did not see it until now. You really believe what you’re typing. Okie dokie. I’ll try to type this as slowly as possible for you, but I’m done trying to teach you how to read after this:

camel toe started a fight fight with UTL claiming that UTL had been proven wrong about Texas not having an instant impact freshmen DESPITE THE FACT THAT WE HAVENT EVEN PLAYED A SINGLE GAME YET, IPSO FACTO IT IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR UTL TO HAVE BEEN PROVEN WRONG.

There is no flip flopping anywhere in there. There is no changing of opinions about Kamaka Hepa anywhere within any of this. There is only the indisputable fact that these guys can’t have an impact at Texas until they actually play at Texas. That’s it. That’s all.  But please Mr. martyr, continue with your fantasy world where everyone has suddenly changed their opinions on Kamaka Hepa.

Edited by Goo Punch

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

There is only the indisputable FACT that until these guys can’t have an impact at Tecas until they actually play at Texas. 

Absolutely. It's impossible to know Hepa's impact until he plays. The dude could be unreal his FR year or he could be a non-factor like a lot of FR. 

Funny how that type of rational approach didn't happen until after Hepa was being projected as an "instant impact player". 

• Fuck You 1

Absolutely. It's impossible to know Hepa's impact until he plays. The dude could be unreal his FR year or he could be a non-factor like a lot of FR. 

Funny how that type of rational approach didn't happen until after Hepa was being projected as an "instant impact player". 

That’s not what happened, and you are completely delusional. You also very clearly have zero interest in having any sort of rational, fact-based discussion on any of this.

Dude. We were talking about win totals next year, as in project what kind of team we would have. Saying "there don't appear" was a projection, not a guaranteed statement of fact like you keep acting. My approach wasn't irrational. What is irrational is Camel saying my projection is wrong when no games have been played. How are you not seeing this? 

Anyways, this has gotten beyond ridiculous, so I'm gonna step out.

9 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Dude. We were talking about win totals next year, as in project what kind of team we would have. Saying "there don't appear" was a projection, not a guaranteed statement of fact like you keep acting. My approach wasn't irrational. What is irrational is Camel saying my projection is wrong when no games have been played. How are you not seeing this? 

Anyways, this has gotten beyond ridiculous, so I'm gonna step out.

Fair enough, I think you are a good poster so I'll move on too. 

• Like 1

Just now, immortal13 said:

Can't we all just get along.....

And we are gonna suck next year. I don't want us to suck, but sadly I feel that we are going to exhibit major suckage

I don't think we're going to suck. I fear we're not going to make the improvement we should.

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

You mean you think we won't be improved from last season?

Basically. If we get to the top 4 of the conference and a 6 or 7 seed in the NCAAs with a second weekend appearance, I would be more or less satisfied.

It's also tricky because I don't know how much we're going to get from Jones, if anything. If he's able to give us significant contributions, our ceiling goes up (but so do expectations).

UT release on Hepa: https://texassports.com/news/2018/6/5/mens-basketball-hepa-named-to-usa-basketball-mens-u18-national-team.aspx

University of Texas incoming freshman Kamaka Hepa has earned a spot on the 2018 USA Basketball Men's U18 National Team, USA Basketball announced Tuesday. The team, selected by the USA Basketball Junior National Team Committee, will represent the USA at the 2018 FIBA Americas U18 Championship for Men on June 10-16 in St. Catharine's, Canada.

Hepa and Team USA will continue training twice a day at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. The team will depart Thursday, June 7 for St. Catharine's, Canada. Athletes eligible for this team must be U.S. citizens who are 18 years old or younger (born on or after Jan. 1, 2000).

Hepa earned Gatorade Player of the Year accolades for the state of Oregon in his senior season at Jefferson High School in Portland. He averaged 16.5 points, 10.4 rebounds, 6.2 blocks and 3.5 assists while leading his team to a 25-4 record and a runner-up finish at the Class 6A state championship. Hepa was the Iolani Classic Most Outstanding Player and claimed a spot on USA Today's All-USA Oregon First Team. He previously was a two-time Gatorade Boys Basketball Player of the Year in Alaska in his freshman and sophomore seasons.

The USA, which will be in the hunt for a fifth-straight U18 gold medal at the 2018 FIBA Americas U18 Championship, will compete in Group A. Team USA will open preliminary round play against Dominican Republic on June 10 (5 p.m. Central), followed by a June 11 (7:15 p.m. Central) clash against Panama and a June 12 (5 p.m. Central) matchup against Puerto Rico. Group B features Argentina, host Canada, Chile and Ecuador.

Following the June 10-12 round-robin preliminary games, teams will be seeded within each group and all eight teams advance to the June 14 quarterfinal games. The semifinals will be played June 15 and the finals on June 16. The top four finishing teams will qualify for the 2019 FIBA U19 World Cup.

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

Can't we all just get along.....

And we are gonna suck next year. I don't want us to suck, but sadly I feel that we are going to exhibit major suckage

You'r a fucking idiot.  At least try to make an argument that's more than "Shaka sucks" instead of dropping in to shit on the thread every few days.

10 minutes ago, txhorns said:

You'r a fucking idiot.  At least try to make an argument that's more than "Shaka sucks" instead of dropping in to shit on the thread every few days.

Read more carefully, dipshit. I said WE are going to suck. 

But since you brought it up, yes Shaka does suck. Carry on

33 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

12, remember that you're arguing with someone who said that Sims was just going to be a JAG because of his freshman stats while someone like Fran Fraschella said that he thought that Sims might be the best athlete in the Big12. 

Smooth move greg, this is just what the thread needed.

5 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I just don't see us being better than last year, and last year was disappointing as fuck

It comes down to what type of off ball movement the team implements to get better shots in the half court, or if Shaka will finally allow the team to use their athleticism and run more. 10 seconds or less should be the mantra to get the 1st shot up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

It comes down to what type of off ball movement the team implements to get better shots in the half court, or if Shaka will finally allow the team to use their athleticism and run more. 10 seconds or less should be the mantra to get the 1st shot up.

Ball movement? Lololololol

This thread is fucking hilarious. Getting called out by Derka for being combative and the way I comport myself is ridiculous to the point of hilarity.

And ball movement? Yeah it would be great. I'm not sure Bamba actually helped ball movement last year. But Coleman and Roach did, and they'll be back. The news about Hepa is great, and Immortal is clearly just trolling Shaka at this point. Ball movement or not, the important thing is a team full of talented, hard-working ball players who put the team first. There's reason to think it could happen under Shaka Smart.

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Here, even better- Camel, give us your projected stats for Kamaka Hepa next year. Minutes, points, rebounds, shooting percentages, role on the team, etc. 

What a ridiculous request. I have no idea how Hepa will shake out next year, I only know that we are hearing legitimate commentary that he's likely to produce right away for us. Making a national squad has to be a good thing. If Banks also made that team then I have no real explanation for that. But Hepa is only one of six talented guys who could join the rotation next year along with Ramey, Liddell, Long, Hayes, and Cunningham. When you add those guys to the returning group of Coleman, Roach, Osetkowski, Febres, Hamm, AND Sims, it looks pretty viable to me. There should be strong competition in practice for playing time, and I wouldn't be surprised if Long is pushed by the freshmen for minutes. It gives Smart a lot of options and it could mean a couple of years in a row of returning a lot of talent.

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

James Banks also made the USA U-18 team, one that was better than this one. If you ever actually gave a single fuck about UT basketball, and made that your focus instead of obsessing over arguing with everyone over everything we would all appreciate it. This combination of hyper-Pollyannaism and hyper aggression is incredibly annoying for everyone else here.

Someone on another board made this point and a person well versed in recruiting pointed out that year's group of guys who tried out lacked bigs so according to him James making it wasn't exactly a big accomplishment. 

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

There's been people ranting about no "instant impact players". 

Yet, now your argument is "wait and see" because a player is now being projected as a potential impact player in year 1. 

Hilarious. 

When you can argue both sides you're never wrong.

TS12 is inventing things. There isn’t a single person in this thread who flip flopped his opinion on Hepa. Not today, not ever. Cameltoe bumped an old post just so he could talk shit to UTL for allegedly being “proven wrong” when he said that our recruiting class wasn’t reported to have any instant impact players, using Hepa’s nomination for Team USA as his “proof” that Hepa is an impact freshman. I used James Banks as a reference point that making the USA u-18 team does not guarantee that you will be an impact freshman. TexasStrong12 took this as a diss towards Hepa in his typically thin-skinned and combative nature, proceeded to mischaracterize everything that UTL or I said, and invented this story where people were dissing Hepa prior to his nomination for Team USA and are now backing off of their disses due to said nomination. It’s 100% fabricated.

This is a 100% accurate recap of today’s completely Derka’d thread, and as usual we have New Derka and cameltoe right at the heart of it. These two Shaka Smart zealots cannot help themselves but to start shit at any perceived slight towards the coach or his team. It sucks.

Edited by Goo Punch

Yeah man, it's just my imagination that people have been arguing  this recruiting class doesn't have instant impact guys. This took all of 2 seconds to find. 

1) UTLawnghorn

"Your talk about the recruiting class is dumb for the reasons Derka pointed out.  There do not appear to be any instant impact guys, so the rank of the recruiting class has very little to do with how the team will perform next year (although I like the class long-term with 4 guys who will likely see their junior year)."

2) UTLawnghorn 

"All our recruits are long-term guys."

3) Derka. False if you read any scouting reports on Hepa. I'm actually worried Hepa might be gone in 2 or 3 years now. I don't think he's going to make it 4 years at Texas based on what I've read from scouting reports. 

"Nobody in this class for Texas is a lock to even have any sort of NBA career."

4) UTGrad 

"All long term recruits that probably won't help the roster for a couple years." 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Someone on another board made this point and a person well versed in recruiting pointed out that year's group of guys who tried out lacked bigs so according to him James making it wasn't exactly a big accomplishment. 

This is what I remember. 

Plus Banks hardly played at the FIBA U18 Championships. Banks played 9.6 minutes a game and only played 4/5 games. Diallo. Allen and Bamba got most of the minutes from what I remember. Shaka went pretty small in '16 with all the talented guards from that year (Coleman, Fultz, Green, Huerter, Porter JR, Walker, Trae Young). 

Edited by texasstrong12

19 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

This thread is fucking hilarious. Getting called out by Derka for being combative and the way I comport myself is ridiculous to the point of hilarity.

And ball movement? Yeah it would be great. I'm not sure Bamba actually helped ball movement last year. But Coleman and Roach did, and they'll be back. The news about Hepa is great, and Immortal is clearly just trolling Shaka at this point. Ball movement or not, the important thing is a team full of talented, hard-working ball players who put the team first. There's reason to think it could happen under Shaka Smart.

Fuck off, bitch. I'm just cutting through the bullshit and into the world of reality. Shaka Smart is a joke of a D-1 basketball coach. He runs no discernable offense and the only ball movement this team has shown is whipping it around the 3pt line until we either throw it away or run out of clock and jack up an ill-advised 3 point shot on a team devoid of any 3 point shooters. Apparently he is too stupid to even implement his gimmick offense that gave him the limited success he had in the past. He was the flavor of the month, and unfortunately we fell for it and took the bait. And we gave this clown a big extension!! For what? 

Maybe you are one of those fans who is fine with being mediocre, hell I'm not sure we meet that standard, and barely make the tournament only to flame out in the 1st or 2nd round? Well call me old school, but I say fuck that. We are the motherfucking flagship U of the great state of Texas. My guess is that you are one of those guys who are fine with being mediocre to poor at life or aren't even a Texas grad...probably both.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

We are the motherfucking flagship U of the great state of Texas. My guess is that you are one of those guys who are fine with being mediocre to poor at life or aren't even a Texas grad...probably both.

Haha, well for one thing I live in Austin and have my entire life. As I understand it you are off in northeast Texas in Tyler or Dallas or something. So, don't try to tell me about "we are texas", "bleeding orange", etc..

Why would I be ok with mediocrity? Your guesses are way off. What I want is a national championship in basketball for the University of Texas. We weren't gonna get it from Barnes who had become a complacent dinosaur ruling over the program with an iron fist. We made an absolutely fantastic hire in Shaka Smart and that was the beginning of righting the ship in a direction towards that goal of a championship level team.

Shaka gives me a good feeling every time I hear him talk, unlike Barnes who essentially had reverted to just saying the word "again" over and over in every interview the last 7 years of his stint here. He's an intelligent guy with a passion for basketball. He had success at his previous post at VCU and he is bringing in the necessary personnel on the recruiting trail for us to be a great team. That's job #1 and he gets a check on that box.

As far as your complaints about the offense, I have faith in Shaka to produce offensively. A lot of it has to do with the roster. Once we have a complete roster, the offense will come. The complaints you make about ball movement or whatever can be made about almost any NCAA team. I don't think Shaka was *at all* some kind of "flavor of the month" trap hire. But if you're so sure of it, maybe you should inform the national authorities who let him coach our national team. They need to know this hot news flash from "Immortal12" on SurlyBevo.

10 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Haha, well for one thing I live in Austin and have my entire life. As I understand it you are off in northeast Texas in Tyler or Dallas or something. So, don't try to tell me about "we are texas", "bleeding orange", etc..

Why would I be ok with mediocrity? Your guesses are way off. What I want is a national championship in basketball for the University of Texas. We weren't gonna get it from Barnes who had become a complacent dinosaur ruling over the program with an iron fist. We made an absolutely fantastic hire in Shaka Smart and that was the beginning of righting the ship in a direction towards that goal of a championship level team.

Shaka gives me a good feeling every time I hear him talk, unlike Barnes who essentially had reverted to just saying the word "again" over and over in every interview the last 7 years of his stint here. He's an intelligent guy with a passion for basketball. He had success at his previous post at VCU and he is bringing in the necessary personnel on the recruiting trail for us to be a great team. That's job #1 and he gets a check on that box.

As far as your complaints about the offense, I have faith in Shaka to produce offensively. A lot of it has to do with the roster. Once we have a complete roster, the offense will come. The complaints you make about ball movement or whatever can be made about almost any NCAA team. I don't think Shaka was *at all* some kind of "flavor of the month" trap hire. But if you're so sure of it, maybe you should inform the national authorities who let him coach our national team. They need to know this hot news flash from "Immortal12" on SurlyBevo.

That's what I thought

45 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

I have faith in Shaka to produce offensively. A lot of it has to do with the roster. Once we have a complete roster, the offense will come. 

G- Isaiah Taylor- Junior- 1st team All-Big XII, ahead of Monte Morris and Frank Mason; currently playing in the NBA

G- Javan Felix- Senior- Shot 49% from 2P, 36% from 3P, and 85% from he line. Scored in double digits 20 times, made multiple threes 12 times; currently playing in G League 

G- Eric Davis- Freshman, Big XII All-Newcomer Team; shot 38% from 3P, 80% from FT; Per 40 averages of 14.6 pts, 4.8 reb, 1.5 TOV

G- Kerwin Roach- Freshman, Big XII All-Newcomer Team; shot 50% from the field, 44% from 3P; per 40 averages of 17.7 pts, 5.7 reb, 2.5 AST, 1.8 STL

G- Demarcus Holland- Senior- Senior team leader, on pace to set school record for starts (Royal Ivey), former 1st-team All-Conference Defensive player, coming off a season where she shot 50% from the field and 47% from 3P

C- Cam Ridley- Senior- Before injuring his foot was the only player in America averaging a double-double and 3+ blk (3.5, second best in America); was a lock for 1st team All Conference, likely All American without injury

C- Prince Ibeh- Senior- Ridley’s backup stepped in won the Conference Defensive Player Of the Year; probably the biggest freak athlete in America; 

Other players include- Connor Lammert, Tevin Mack, Jordan Barnett, Kendal Yancy, Shaq Cleare

There are only two posters here who cannot accept how well-rounded and talented this roster was. Depth, experience, shooting, defense, rebounding, seniors, impact freshmen; by season’s end 4 of our top 6 players hadbeen awarded various All-Conference awards- many, MANY coaches have done much more with much less.

Edited by Goo Punch

48 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Why would I be ok with mediocrity? 

Nobody can explain this, just as nobody can deny that you’ve done everything in your power to be a champion of mediocrity ever since Shaka Smart was revealed to be the mediocre coach that he is.

I invite any of the Shaka Smart champions to compare next year‘s roster with the roster which I have provided above. I especially invite TexasStrong12 to make the first substantive post of his basketball posting career, and give me his own original thoughts as to why next year‘s roster is more well-rounded, more complete, and better overall than the first roster with Shaka inherited. 

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:

We made an absolutely fantastic hire in Shaka Smart and that was the beginning of righting the ship in a direction towards that goal of a championship level team.

We have categorically, unequivocally, undeniably regressed in Shaka’s time here, with his best team by a large margin featuring a bunch of Rick Barnes’ players whom you and your pal TS12 have dissed as players who are lesser-than for years. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Seriously dude, what does the 2016 roster have to do with anything at this point? There was some talent on that team, but not all that much. Taylor and Felix were a good guard tandem, but Felix was always undersized. Ridley was a pretty good big, but not world class or anything. Lammert was a decent wing, but again, not some amazingly great NCAA player. Shaka did an ok job with that team, got them to the dance, lost on a buzzer beater to UNI. But what does the 2016 roster have to do with ANYTHING?

It's the off-season and we're talking about the trajectory of the program. We have 3 proven guys returning who can start in Coleman, Roach, and Sims. We have a potential impact shooter in Febres also returning who has good size at the guard position. Then we have SIX potentially impactful newcomers in Long, Ramey, Liddel, Hepa, Hayes, and Cunningham coming in. There's absolutely nothing mediocre about that talent pool and there's no real reason to question what Coach Smart is doing right now. Yet here you are, moronically doing just that.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Seriously dude, what does the 2016 roster have to do with anything at this point? There was some talent on that team, but not all that much. Taylor and Felix were a good guard tandem, but Felix was always undersized. Ridley was a pretty good big, but not world class or anything. Lammert was a decent wing, but again, not some amazingly great NCAA player. Shaka did an ok job with that team, got them to the dance, lost on a buzzer beater to UNI. But what does the 2016 roster have to do with ANYTHING?

It's the off-season and we're talking about the trajectory of the program. We have 3 proven guys returning who can start in Coleman, Roach, and Sims. We have a potential impact shooter in Febres also returning who has good size at the guard position. Then we have SIX potentially impactful newcomers in Long, Ramey, Liddel, Hepa, Hayes, and Cunningham coming in. There's absolutely nothing mediocre about that talent pool and there's no real reason to question what Coach Smart is doing right now. Yet here you are, moronically doing just that.

How about you put your money where your fucking mouth is? $250 that we have a worse overall record than last year. And I'll do another $250 that we miss the tournament. Either, or both?