Music City Bowl: Fake UT vs. Purdue on ESPN Now

AUS-97HORN

11 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Interesting. It occurred to me while watching President Hartzell’s grilling by state legislators earlier this year, that one of them may have actually had a good point. Even to the casual observer, the Sec is a collection of mediocre teams with two or three really good teams in any given year. It is not unlike what the Big 12 was during the early to mid 2000s which was led by an eventual national champion TEXAS and included other regularly ranked team. Now, to the legislators point: if Texas is really all that, and wields the kind of power and influence with which it likes to be associated, why wouldn’t it  lead the effort to support a Big 12 infrastructure that could compete with the Sec? A Big 12 with perennial powers UT and OU and occasional strong challengers like OSU, Baylor, Tech, Nebraska and A&M could have been the Sec’s equal. 

I thought the legislator’s question was much better than the answer.

No, if that was the actual question then it was a very dumb question. It's because it's not the University of Texas's job to make other schools' athletic departments better. It's much closer to that legislator's job (I mean if they're going to spend time on sports anyway).

Edited by Huckleberry

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, if that was the actual question then it was a very dumb question. It's because it's not the University of Texas's job to make other schools' athletic departments better. It's much closer to that legislator's job (I mean if they're going to spend time on sports anyway).

I agree with that but that’s not the answer President Hartzell provided and with good reason. The legislators could craft provisions that could prohibit schools from changing conferences without their approval because they see it as their job to look out for every school in the state. Who wants that?