Any HVACR technicians here?

If so, commercial or residential?

100% commission, hourly+commission, or straight hourly?

Refrigeration?

I want to pick your brain a little bit. I’ve been doing residential HVAC and I think I’m with a decent company, but it isn’t great for someone fresh out of trade school IMO (and that’s the popular opinion with other techs as well). Great for experienced guys, but little to no training. Been thinking of switching to commercial and/or refrigeration, or just finding a new residential company…

For what it’s worth I’m in phoenix, but haven’t ruled back moving to Texas. Although I do love it here, and generally speaking it’s a great place for someone in my line of work

Probably only way to get training,  a way to ease in, is with a big company who likes to invest in guys they can train and keep around for a good while. If you're looking at commercial hvac, hope you know some about rated walls, VAV, fire damper, fire and smoke dampers and a semblance of codes. Get good at reading plans, looking ahead, seeing where things are needed and not needed.  Engineers don't always get it right, the worst is having a guy run exactly what the plans call for without ever questioning a damn thing. 

Sorry just saw the mention.

For techs it’s all the above. I pay higher hourly and lower commission because I want the service done right. I’m not a fan of the mostly commission model as it leads to dishonesty.

Shoot me a PM. Happy to provide any feedback I can for the HVAC part.
I do know the owners of a company out west that does a lot of refrigeration for grocery stores, but my company does not dabble in that.