$8 Million NIL deal....for a class of 2023 prospect

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

There’s going to be so many bad deals - either because the kid is a bust or because he continuously holds them hostage for more money and then transfers - that in the long term I actually expect the funding for NIL to decrease.  The ROI is just going to be shit and legitimate donors who join the fold now that NIL is legal won’t put up with it forever.  And they’ll hate how it doesn’t guarantee anything.  At least the NFL has contracts tied to playing football, and the player can’t just transfer from the Cowboys to the Giants right after taking your money.

I think we will eventually be back to (a) mostly the same types who funded illegal bags and don’t give a shit, and (b) the very, very small group of actual corporate sponsors who really want the very top players to endorse their products for legitimate business reasons.   But I don’t see the law-abiding donors who want to help their school acquire recruits deciding they like the reality of this system over the long haul.

But in the short term, it’s going to be a crazy few years.  Like NIL’s dot-com bubble.

NIL won’t go back down. These figures are still fractions of NFL contracts.