Outer Range on Amazon Prime

Cheeseweasel

On 5/17/2024 at 6:38 PM, futureman said:

there’s just too much TV.  

There really is.  I’ve got multiple decent shows across multiple services that I want to watch, and I don’t recall having this many streaming shows in the past.  And more I want to watch are about to launch.

Season 2 Episodes 1-4 were pretty entertaining but then the show decided to go off the rails.

Season 1 was reminiscent of The Leftovers but Season 2 decided to go into "Lost" territory.

• Hook 'Em 1

Love this show mostly for Brolin’s character. I have found both seasons highly enjoyable and entertaining. I enjoy it being off the rails because we all need an escape from reality at times. If you haven’t watched either season I suggest doing so. 

16 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Love this show mostly for Brolin’s character. I have found both seasons highly enjoyable and entertaining. I enjoy it being off the rails because we all need an escape from reality at times. If you haven’t watched either season I suggest doing so. 

Spoiler

I liked 1980s Royal better. Even Perry mentioned a preference for the 1980s Royal. Their story was really good which was why I was disappointed with the story veering off into the multiple worlds stuff.

7 hours ago, F250 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I liked 1980s Royal better. Even Perry mentioned a preference for the 1980s Royal. Their story was really good which was why I was disappointed with the story veering off into the multiple worlds stuff.

Spoiler

I kinda feel like that ending was perfect and that there is likely to be at least two more seasons of the show. Sheriff Joy’s character seems like she is going to have a much bigger role to play and I kinda want to see her screw with the great-great-great grandson of the guy who tried to kill her when she went back in time. It seems like she has some plans for that since she was sitting outside his business before Royal called.

I think young Royal vs old Royal comes down to this. Old Royal had 50 plus years of hiding a secret from his entire family and the strain had to be enormous. Young Royal was not married and was still having fun. I think it makes sense why he is so standoff-ish and emotionally distant as a 60 year old. I bet his character changes a bunch in season 3 now that the gloves are off with Autumn.

17 hours ago, UpperWestside said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I kinda feel like that ending was perfect and that there is likely to be at least two more seasons of the show. Sheriff Joy’s character seems like she is going to have a much bigger role to play and I kinda want to see her screw with the great-great-great grandson of the guy who tried to kill her when she went back in time. It seems like she has some plans for that since she was sitting outside his business before Royal called.

I think young Royal vs old Royal comes down to this. Old Royal had 50 plus years of hiding a secret from his entire family and the strain had to be enormous. Young Royal was not married and was still having fun. I think it makes sense why he is so standoff-ish and emotionally distant as a 60 year old. I bet his character changes a bunch in season 3 now that the gloves are off with Autumn.

Spoiler

My concern for the show is the multiverse angle and the inevitable introduction of plot holes.

Things have already gotten weird with the additional time lines. Royal has no memory of Joy but she exists in an old photo. Was the child Royal Joy followed in hole the same Royal we know on the show? They seem different.

Obviously the Royal with replacement Perry is not the same Royal from the other main timeline.

Autumn is a strange one, she is Amy but a different Amy. Royal makes the point in the finale. Different universe Amy? The Autumn origin is weird because Autumn caused Amy to become Autumn which shouldn't be possible. Unless Autumn is from a different universe but then why does she need to create Autumn in a separate timeline when she already exists?

I'd have preferred Back to the Future rules rather than the multiverse.

I didn't know what to think about Joy tracking the great great grandson of her attacker. The grudge doesn't seem justifiable unless the great great grandson is actually the original grandfather that traveled through the hole from a separate timeline.

16 hours ago, F250 said:
  Hide contents

My concern for the show is the multiverse angle and the inevitable introduction of plot holes.

Things have already gotten weird with the additional time lines. Royal has no memory of Joy but she exists in an old photo. Was the child Royal Joy followed in hole the same Royal we know on the show? They seem different.

Obviously the Royal with replacement Perry is not the same Royal from the other main timeline.

Autumn is a strange one, she is Amy but a different Amy. Royal makes the point in the finale. Different universe Amy? The Autumn origin is weird because Autumn caused Amy to become Autumn which shouldn't be possible. Unless Autumn is from a different universe but then why does she need to create Autumn in a separate timeline when she already exists?

I didn't know what to think about Joy tracking the great great grandson of her attacker. The grudge doesn't seem justifiable unless the great great grandson is actually the original grandfather that traveled through the hole from a separate timeline.

Spoiler

Yeah, the Perry thing got me. I was thinking Back to the Future Rules when he died in the fight, shouldn't he be disappearing now? Royal seemed to give him a look when he was walking into the house at the end of the episode that he knew it was the other Perry.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DallasHorn26 said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, the Perry thing got me. I was thinking Back to the Future Rules when he died in the fight, shouldn't he be disappearing now? Royal seemed to give him a look when he was walking into the house at the end of the episode that he knew it was the other Perry.

Spoiler

Yes. Royal did appear to notice something different about this other Perry. I assume this version of Royal remembers time traveling Perry unlike the main timeline Royal.

19 hours ago, F250 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I get the plot hole stuff that is forming and it is going to be tricky for the writers to make sense of it, if they even can. Like you said earlier it was way off-the-rails. The Perry stuff needs some clarification. 

I think Joy’s character now does not have a definite direction other than she needs to talk to her wife about everything that transpired. That would be wild if the relative of the attacker was also a time traveler. I could see that being introduced as part of the story next season. Joy seems like the mental and emotional trauma she suffered is eating away at her.

Really the only thing I want is to see every Tillerson in every timeline murdered. The entire lot of them. Wayne is an insufferable prick and so was/is his currently dead golden child. I’d also love to see Royal meet younger Royal if they’re going to be all over the map with the time travel. The show is crazy for sure with a bunch to process and attempt to make sense of so I get your disappointment with the story as it unfolded this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:
  Hide contents

I get the plot hole stuff that is forming and it is going to be tricky for the writers to make sense of it, if they even can. Like you said earlier it was way off-the-rails. The Perry stuff needs some clarification. 

I think Joy’s character now does not have a definite direction other than she needs to talk to her wife about everything that transpired. That would be wild if the relative of the attacker was also a time traveler. I could see that being introduced as part of the story next season. Joy seems like the mental and emotional trauma she suffered is eating away at her.

Really the only thing I want is to see every Tillerson in every timeline murdered. The entire lot of them. Wayne is an insufferable prick and so was/is his currently dead golden child. I’d also love to see Royal meet younger Royal if they’re going to be all over the map with the time travel. The show is crazy for sure with a bunch to process and attempt to make sense of so I get your disappointment with the story as it unfolded this season.

Spoiler

There is so much going on I am not confident the writers will be able to tie it all together. I will say it does leave a lot to discuss. Which is why I referenced Lost, it generated a lot of discussion but ended with a bunch of plot holes and a terrible explanation.

Something else that I was wondering about was Autumn's scar disappearing. Obviously something happened in the past but what caused it?

Speaking of the Tillersons, how did Wayne come out of that coma? When asked about it he acted like he wasn't aware of ever being in a coma.