Water, water, everywhere ..

Mighty fine

2 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

If this dude gets away with it, I'm damming up the creek on my place. Imma get mine.

We should have a little party on the part of the river that goes through that guy's place though, since we would be on a public waterway and he couldn't do shit about it.  If his illegal dam stops us from going down stream and we party right there, so be it.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

If this dude gets away with it, I'm damming up the creek on my place. Imma get mine.

This mindset is how we destroy what's left of the social contract. Fuck that rich racist asshole for stealing water from the LCRA, and fuck our state for giving him cover. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 5 months later...

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/study-shows-that-texas-has-nearly-3-times-more-dry-springs-than-50-years-ago/

The number of dry springs in Texas has nearly tripled in the last 50 years, according to new research out of Texas State University.

Robert Mace, Ph.D., Meadows Center Executive Director, and Nohemi Galaviz, a research assistant, followed up on a 1975 report that assessed springs across the state. Using methods such as satellite imagery, historical maps and fieldwork, the researchers revealed that 30% of the springs examined in the 1975 report are now dry. 

“Quite a few more springs have gone dry since that initial study,” Mace told KXAN. “That corresponds almost almost exactly with the amount of groundwater that we’ve pumped out of states off rivers.”

Groundwater provides around 60% of Texas’ total water use, according to the Texas Comptroller’s Office. Mace said if the state continues to rely so heavily on groundwater, more springs will dry up.  “At some point, we’ll run out of groundwater,” he said “When you see [springs] drying up, that’s an indication that [we are] probably pumping more than what’s coming back in.” 

• Rage+1 1