Neutral Site Recruiting Rules -- NCAA, Big12, SEC, what are the actual rules?

utee94

Putting this in 9.95 since it's specific to recruiting, and SIAP, I searched and didn't find anything.

So here, the week before the WLOCP neutral site game between Georgia and Florida in Jacksonville, the Kirby Smart comments about being unable to host recruits at a neutral site game, have surfaced once again.  Here's a quote and the ESPN article:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34871397/kirby-smart-recruiting-concerns-factor-florida-georgia-neutral-site-debate

NCAA rules forbid schools from hosting recruits at neutral sites. Clearly, Smart does not believe leaving tickets at the gate makes up for the inability to have contact with recruits.

So my question is, is that true?  Is that actually an NCAA rule?  Are Texas and OU only allowed to leave tickets for attending recruits, but not actually host them? 

Previously it was said that NCAA rules prohibited schools from even leaving tickets for recruits, but the NCAA changed that rule this year.  I read somewhere else that it was the SEC that changed that rule this year. There seems to be conflicting information and I'm just wondering what's the reality and how it currently affects TX-OU, and how it might affect that game after the move to the SEC.

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Putting this in 9.95 since it's specific to recruiting, and SIAP, I searched and didn't find anything.

So here, the week before the WLOCP neutral site game between Georgia and Florida in Jacksonville, the Kirby Smart comments about being unable to host recruits at a neutral site game, have surfaced once again.  Here's a quote and the ESPN article:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34871397/kirby-smart-recruiting-concerns-factor-florida-georgia-neutral-site-debate

So my question is, is that true?  Is that actually an NCAA rule?  Are Texas and OU only allowed to leave tickets for attending recruits, but not actually host them? 

Previously it was said that NCAA rules prohibited schools from even leaving tickets for recruits, but the NCAA changed that rule this year.  I read somewhere else that it was the SEC that changed that rule this year. There seems to be conflicting information and I'm just wondering what's the reality and how it currently affects TX-OU, and how it might affect that game after the move to the SEC.

NCAA bylaw 13.6.2.4

Visit to Off-Campus Contest. An institution may not provide a prospective student-athlete with transportation to attend an off-campus contest outside a 30-mile radius of the member institution's main campus. [D] (Revised: 4/24/03, 8/5/04, 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08, 8/21/12)

NCAA bylaw 13.6.7.2

Complimentary Admissions. [A] During the official visit, a maximum of five* complimentary admissions to a home athletics event at any facility within a 30-mile radius of the institution's main campus in which the institution's intercollegiate team practices or competes may be provided to a prospective student-athlete. Such complimentary admissions are for the exclusive use of the prospective student-athlete and those persons accompanying the prospective student-athlete on the visit and may be issued through digital ticketing or a pass list on an individual-game basis. Such admissions may provide seating only in the general seating area of the facility used for conducting the event. Providing seating during the conduct of the event (including intermission) for the prospective student-athlete or those persons accompanying the prospective student-athlete in the facility's press box, special seating box or bench area is specifically prohibited. [*A nonautonomy conference or institution that has not opted in to the more restrictive autonomy provision may provide six complimentary admissions.] [R] (Revised: 1/10/90 effective 8/1/90, 1/11/94, 10/28/97, 11/1/00, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 4/24/03, 1/9/06, 4/24/08 effective 8/1/08, 1/15/16 effective 8/1/16, 1/16/19 effective 8/1/19, 4/15/21)

Source: NCAA regulations for official visits

While the SEC has said since they renewed the game in Jacksonville that they would submit legislation to modify 13.6.2.4, but I don't see that's been done anywhere. 

This is all legislative proposals relevant to all of the official visit language

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search?bylawId=11594&ruleId=896&refType=proposal

• Hook 'Em 1