The All-Encompassing Car Insurance Thread

cabowabo

Looked and couldn't find a general car insurance thread, so here we go.

I have been with Geico several years.  Have 3 cars and 3 drivers (me, wife, 17 year old son).  The premium for my last renewal on 7/1/22 was $1,826.61 for 6 months.  Today I received my quote for my next six month renewal beginning 1/1/23 and its $2,985.73.  According to my math skills, that is about a 63% increase.

I got a quote from Progressive and it's a little better, but not much.  I've jacked around with coverage amounts, deductibles, etc., and I can get it lower, but with very low liability coverage which I don't like.   I assume I am just going to have to bend over and take it with no lube, but if anyone has any tips to save some coin here, I'm all ears.  

Find an insurance broker who will bid your needs out among the insurers.  They're paid by the insurance companies, not you. 
Since no insurance company has ever done jack shit to earn my loyalty, I have my broker rebid my home and auto policies every year.

For the past five years, the lowest premium from a reputable insurer has been from Hanover.

(i got cross-wise with them over a lost ELECTRONIC payment from Bank of America three months ago- I wanted to fire them and switch companies, but broker rebid and discovered they were still $1000 less than next company for home and auto for me.  I told the broker, "I guess I'm not $1000 pissed" - LOL)

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

interesting info. here.  I live out-of-state, but no vehicle in Alaska.  Only auto, no homeowners.  Two cars live in Texas (with full coverage, a 2022 Hyundai Kona and a 2016 Hyundai Accent).  3 drivers on the policy including me.  One is a 24 year old son. 

Renewal with Germania was scheduled for January 9.  Germania raised the rate from about $3200 for the year to over $5000 per year.  The broker told me she would requote it and expected a more reasonable number.  Nope.  So she went looking and the best she had was Progressive, at $1173 for six months.  Wow!  I am sure this is a low ball quote that will go up significantly in July. 

I like the idea of an entire year quote at one time.  

Hartford quoted me slightly better than the Progressive number, contingent upon me joining AARP(I am 58)

Not enough savings for me to dump my broker...probably $40. 

I will look into Hanover.  

You are not alone. My Geico renewal is up 50%. There was a thread on r/Austin about them recently and it seems to be across the board. 

I was able to switch to Progressive with a smaller hike and with a 6 month pre-pay got it down to about the same I was previously paying with Geico. 

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, texhorn said:

You are not alone. My Geico renewal is up 50%. There was a thread on r/Austin about them recently and it seems to be across the board. 

I was able to switch to Progressive with a smaller hike and with a 6 month pre-pay got it down to about the same I was previously paying with Geico. 

Good luck. 

I did the same thing, but with Allstate.  I love shopping for and purchasing car insurance.