Long long time ago, I can still remember

RPM

A piece of American history seen by those who attended the concert at the Surf Ballroom. A DJ with a popular novelty tune. Probably a flash in the pan. The Latino music hero, 40 years before Selena. An up and coming rock hero. Man, what could have become of his career. 

I was throwing newspapers on that cold February morning, listening to my transistor radio. It didn't hit me at the time. I was just a kid throwing papers, not thinking about what we lost. 

I've always loved this song, and find it kind of surprising that it hasn't retained legendary status all that much.  It's one of the greatest sing along choruses of all time.  The lyrics are veiled references to specific shit but couched in a way that gives off this universal imagery that go beyond their literal touch points.  The melody is flawless, and it just keeps rolling.

I suppose the rest of Don McClean's career being pretty forgettable hurts the song's legacy, but it's a work of art in it's own.

Regarding the rest, I grew up close to the Surf Ballroom.  The mythology of this event is inescapable if you're from north Iowa.  Going to concerts at the Surf is one of those coming of age touchstones for people in this area.  Every time I'm there, I feel some connection to this seminal event in the history of my favorite art form.