Dracula Limited Series (2020) Netflix

Augustus

Did any of you watch this?  It's from a few years ago but I'd never even heard of it.

It's three episodes of about 1.5 hours each.  Created by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat.  I stumbled across it looking for something to watch on Netflix.

It's an adaptation of Stoker's novel, though it makes some big changes.

I found this pretty enjoyable, though I imagine audiences would be divided.  I think most of the stuff Gatiss has a hand in is pretty well done.  I had never heard of Claes Bang, who portrays Count Vlad, and I couldn't understand why, because he was entertaining as hell as Dracula and he wasn't a really young guy so I figured an actor like that would've had a good career.  It turns out the reason for my confusion is that his English accent is so perfect I had no idea he's a Danish actor and most of his filmography is Danish films/TV.  

The actors in the main roles do a really good job, the story is interesting if weird/unexpected at times.  I'm not sure how many people will buy the ending but it had to end some way and they clearly wanted something original for that, so they came up with something nobody would have guessed.

I'm gonna check out some more of Bang's work, because he was just overflowing with charisma.  Not hard to understand why he's a star in Denmark.

Also, I kept thinking that the actress playing Mina looked incredibly familiar, and it took me a while to realize it was Galadriel from Rings of Power.

Edited by Augustus

30 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

We watched. It was…good?  It had some interesting takes on the story. 

Some of it was a little bizarre, but I thought much of it was definitely interesting.

I enjoyed it enough that I watched all three episodes back to back.  I loved the actress portraying Agatha Van Helsing.  Didn't like her as much as her descendant.

Were you equally impressed with the guy playing Dracula?

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

Some of it was a little bizarre, but I thought much of it was definitely interesting.

I enjoyed it enough that I watched all three episodes back to back.  I loved the actress portraying Agatha Van Helsing.  Didn't like her as much as her descendant.

Were you equally impressed with the guy playing Dracula?

I thought they were both very good, and like Helsing the most. It grabbed our attention enough we watched it in 2 nights. I think the ending just left me feeling a bit empty / depressed 

• Hook 'Em 1