No Leonard Cohen Thread?

hullabelew

Finally watched the Netflix Documentary about Leonard Cohen. 
https://www.netflix.com/title/81521158

I'm going to watch it again to tonight.  So many great comments from him and those who surrounded him.  Plus, with his huge Austin connections of Roscoe Beck on bass and Rafael Gayol on drums.  I wish they had delved deeper or at least given an introduction into his band he assembled for that came back from retirement.    

I loved how the showed the background of how the covering of Hallelujah (John Cale, Jeff Buckley) did so much to resurrect his career which gave him the audience to draw from when he was forced to go back on tour.   Also bummed they didn't mention Jennifer Warnes' brilliant album, "Famous Blue Raincoat" which was also produced by Roscoe Back and included one SRV solo.  But they showed the importance of the indie tribute album, "I'm Your Fan".  Had to break that out today and give it another listen but Cale's cover was easily the highlight of that record.

They showed a short clip of KD Lang singing at his memorial.   

I was looking for a better version of his introductions, but still pretty cool.  I've seen Rafael play with Kelly Willis and Bob Schneider among others.   Then the 'quietest rock band'.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 5:46 PM, hullabelew said:

Saw this in 1988 and was really my first exposure to him  Plus, I was very, very intrigued by Perla Batalla.  Good lord.

that was the same tour he played another date in austin, i believe at the backyard, but it could have been where the armadillo christmas bazaar used to be.  i was there, though ive killed a few brain cells since.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m really liking his “You Want It Darker” with the Jewish lady singing Hebrew. 

Combine that with Slaid Cleaves “Natures Darker Laws” and that’s a nice start of songs with darker in the title. 

I’ve been a big fan since “I’m Your Man” and that led me to his earlier stuff. The tribute album came out and I liked some of the covers like “stories of the street” from That Petrol Emotion and “don’t go home with a hardon”, but Cale’s version of “Hallelujah” blew me away. 

• Hook 'Em 1