Living in Santa Fe, NM

jimmyjazz

On 10/12/2023 at 6:27 AM, hookem2010 said:

We were instead sent to beautiful Decatur, Texas, where some friendly neighbors wrote racist shit on our cars and drextras.

So I can't speak much to NM (10,000 waves was still there and still awesome in 2019), but I would advise avoiding the Fort Worth exurbs.

And it may not have even been during Wise County Old Settler's Reunion.  The goal is drinking until sunrise when the boy scouts clean up the parking lot. But I had no trouble there.

Just now seeing this thread. The wife and I lived in Santa Fe up until just after the pandemic began. I loved the architecture, the weather and the restaurants. There are many nice, decent people.

It started off as a 2nd home type thing for us, going in between SF and Austin. Then we decided we were done with Austin and the one day drive in between cities sucked too hard (we had a dog so commercial flights were not an option). SF became full-time. I told the wife I'd give it 2 years as a full-timer to see if I thought I wanted to stay longer. tldr - 2 years later we moved to Fort Collins.

I agree 100% with what @nnm wrote back on page 1. I would add that I didn't enjoy living in a small city that gets overrun with tourists for half the year. It's gay friendly but there's no gay bars afaik. It has a large homeless population and they mostly hang out in the large general area around Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, the river, and around La Choza (where there's a couple shelters). The locals call New Mexico the Land of Entrapment so understand they're not exactly a happy people. It's the type of city where a lot of people don't pick up after their dogs.

I have a great dentist to rec and an awesome acupuncturist, as well. If anyone wants it feel free to dm me. I know a top notch home builder there, as well. For a GP, if you don't want to drive to ABQ, you can likely expect a shitty new grad from the bottom of their class, or a NP, or a DO who's just putting in their time.

Also if you have seasonal allergies, ragweed and juniper are highly problematic.

• Like 1