MacBook Air help

InkaUtexas

This is driving me crazy. In the past two months when I am typing it double inserts certain characters. A is the worse. Typing action comes out as aacti on. I can live with it, but do I take it in, of course warranty just expired, or is it mechanical and the locals can fix. Started with A, now happening with O and N. Machine is about 14 months old, all software is up to date, never been dropped. Just started a massive multi-month project and not looking forward to either losing two days with it in the shop or setting up a new machine. 

Thoughts? 

SURLY HELP! 

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

This is driving me crazy. In the past two months when I am typing it double inserts certain characters. A is the worse. Typing action comes out as aacti on. I can live with it, but do I take it in, of course warranty just expired, or is it mechanical and the locals can fix. Started with A, now happening with O and N. Machine is about 14 months old, all software is up to date, never been dropped. Just started a massive multi-month project and not looking forward to either losing two days with it in the shop or setting up a new machine. 

Thoughts? 

SURLY HELP! 

Well, I had/have an MBP with the butterfly kb that was terrible.  They replaced it out of warranty, in part because they really ought to have recalled the whole thing.

That was in 2017-2018 and they quickly discontinued the butterfly keyboard.

They might give you some warranty consideration there.  I had another kb problem with an older Air, but when they took it apart, they found liquid damage because apparently I set it down on a conference table near some spilled coffee or coke and it sucked in and sprayed it all over the inside.  That's why I got the MBP.  Point being, even if you are careful not to spill, that's not the only way liquid damage can occur, and repeating keys can be a symptom.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks, they want me to bring it in. I am just learning to type slowly! Mainly it is a few keys but they are important. A, O, N, and space.

Yeah, my first MBA kicked ass. Still use it to watch sports/news when working, but this shit is pissing me off. 

Had the same problem with an HP with water damage. This one has never had liquid in the keyboard, it rarely leaves the house and I am pretty careful. 

So mechanical? 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Thanks, they want me to bring it in. I am just learning to type slowly! Mainly it is a few keys but they are important. A, O, N, and space.

Yeah, my first MBA kicked ass. Still use it to watch sports/news when working, but this shit is pissing me off. 

Had the same problem with an HP with water damage. This one has never had liquid in the keyboard, it rarely leaves the house and I am pretty careful. 

So mechanical? 

As far as I know, yes.  The butterfly was mechanical, but extra complex and a mm or two thinner so really didn't make that much difference in thickness. I think they went back to the relatively standard mechanical type or hybrid that they had before.  Someone more current could probably tell. you.  I think they used to be able to replace individual keys on the older types, maybe still can.

• Hook 'Em 1