The University of Texas or The University of Texas at Austin?

Pancho

The University of Texas or The University of Texas at Austin?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you use in formal settings?

• The University of Texas
    • The University of Texas at Austin

39 minutes ago, South Austin said:

In my bios I always say that I got my bachelor’s, master’s, PhD, law degree, and medical degree from The University of Texas.

I thought you were pre-gyno?  

What's curious about this is after 20 years of myriad Boards of Regents being told, "Quit trying to make 'at Austin' happen!"  It really did subside.  Then between the latest marketing/branding review, and capital campaign, and Hartzell's press to make more leverage out of being in cool 'Austin'...it's all coming back with a vengeance.  But right before Covid/capital campaign, they wanted "Texas Law", "Texas Real Estate", "Texas Nursing", "Texas Fine Arts"...and now it's all kinda back to a hodge-poge with some CSU's wanting to brand ".....at Austin" and others going with "Texas (insert name here)"  And then System wanted to replicate that around other campuses in the state.  But everybody's got their attachment to their version of their name.  

I'm not kidding when I type that I was in a building yesterday which will now house, "The School of Civic Leadership at the Civitas Institute at the University of Texas at Austin", and it will begin granting degrees next year.  So good luck fitting that on one line on your resume/linkedin.  

I have multiple degrees from different universities, so it is important to make the distinction in professional settings.

My undergraduate degree is from The University of Texas at Austin on my CV and resume. I also use it on job applications or anything official.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

I go with the faux humility of, "I went to school in Austin" or "I lived in Austin for undergrad".

If I hear that I'm asking if you went to Concordia or St. Edwards because it sounds like you're insinuating you went to Texas but probably didn't.

There's no need to be humble if you went to Texas.

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

If I hear that I'm asking if you went to Concordia or St. Edwards because it sounds like you're insinuating you went to Texas but probably didn't.

There's no need to be humble if you went to Texas.

The response is almost universally an impressed, "oh you went to UT?". Never have I gotten a Concordia (didn't realize they still exist) or St. Edwards or anything else. The end effect is they are impressed with my implied abilities and my good social upbringing for being humble.