Bicycles for the kids

Superhero

Looking for bike recommendations for the kids:

For the boy, a 24" bike that he can go on easy trails with me. Ideally with front shocks, but not a deal breaker.

For the girl, she'll be primarily on pavement or hard packed soil and doesn't need shocks.

Obviously aluminum frame for weight and ideally under $500.

Depends on ages - we've always done the Craig's List thing, because I'm not going to pay a lot for something they'll outgrow within a year or two, and thankfully enough other parents are going through this, there's always a decent selection of quality bikes that parents are offloading after a year or two of use as their kids grow.

If she's younger, make sure and get something really lightweight.

11 hours ago, Superhero said:

Looking for bike recommendations for the kids:

For the boy, a 24" bike that he can go on easy trails with me. Ideally with front shocks, but not a deal breaker.

For the girl, she'll be primarily on pavement or hard packed soil and doesn't need shocks.

Obviously aluminum frame for weight and ideally under $500.

Kona sells a 24" bike.

Are you looking for new for Xmas?  

If not, I have one sitting in the garage that needs some TLC (Kona Shred 2-4).  It has scratches and some stickers are ripped, but everything works, just needs a tune up.  That said, new grips and tires always make a bike feel good.   I've been procrastinating cleaning out the garage and it's gotta go.  I don't know what shipping would be on it, but the Surly price is $100 w/o shipping.  I can post some pics if interested.  Pic below is a stock photo

2b721.jpeg

On 11/9/2023 at 3:02 AM, locodos said:

Kona sells a 24" bike.

Are you looking for new for Xmas?  

If not, I have one sitting in the garage that needs some TLC (Kona Shred 2-4).  It has scratches and some stickers are ripped, but everything works, just needs a tune up.  That said, new grips and tires always make a bike feel good.   I've been procrastinating cleaning out the garage and it's gotta go.  I don't know what shipping would be on it, but the Surly price is $100 w/o shipping.  I can post some pics if interested.  Pic below is a stock photo

2b721.jpeg

Cool little bike, but shipping to CA probably wouldn't make sense.

7 hours ago, destroya said:

Woom makes legit, lightweight kids bikes. A buddy of mine got one for his son and he loves it. They may be more than you want to spend but worth a look. 

Yeah, their bikes are about 25% lighter than other comparable sized bikes, and about 50% more than comparable sized bikes.

16 hours ago, Superhero said:

Yeah, their bikes are about 25% lighter than other comparable sized bikes, and about 50% more than comparable sized bikes.

That's why we've tried to find Woom bikes on Craigs List - a lot of people don't realize that even a few pounds lighter can make a big difference for little kids.  Too many either get the heavy-ass bikes from Walmart/Target, or even mini-mountain bikes.

Edited by atomheartbevo

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting the Cannondale Trail Plus for my boy. It got pretty good reviews and was on sale at REI. There were better reviewed bikes (Woom) but I also didn't want to pay over $500 for a bike that he's going to grow out of.

image.png.5508c70dd88e37f9186a800a9fa30548.png

Still looking for a bike for my daughter. She's already 4'-8" and the pediatrician thinks she'll be over 5' by the end of next year, so I'm debating whether to just get her a 26" bike.

• Hook 'Em 1