Will Probate Question - Tarrant County

My mom's step mother "Mary" passed away last December.  Her dad has been deceased twenty years or more so.  My mom believes that there are heirlooms from her side of the family which "should" go to her.  There is also the question of disposition of the house in Fort Worth ($300,000).  However, "Mary's" living relatives (nieces) have taken over the probate process with Tarrant County.   The nieces are acting a little shady and less than honest - they didn't even notify my mother of Mary's death until five months afterwards.  The conversation that they did have was very cryptic. They pretty much have excluded my mom from all information regarding "Mary's" death and have told her not to ever call them.   My mom is elderly, a little confused, and getting angry.  She had a good life long relationship with her step-mother. Almost all of the furniture in the house belonged to her father.  I told her that I'd do a little fact finding and see how she should proceed.

I found the applicable Tarrant County probate record on-line. 

There is a lead attorney retained in Fort Worth.

The Independent Executor is in Arkansas (where Mary's family is from)

Under "Public Notice" it states:  Unknown, missing, or incapacitated heir.

The current probate status is : "Order Extending Time to File Inventory & Appraisement - extended to 9/25/18.

So I guess the question is - what is the best way to get a copy of my grandma's will?  And what do we do if there was no will?    edit:  there is a copy of the will filed according to the Tarrant filing.

Thank you law hawks.

Edited by BottleRocket

You may get a copy from the clerk's office. The inventory & appraisment will list the property of the estate subject to distribution according to the will (if honest). 

Most wills do not make specific bequests of items of personal property, they are covered by the residuary clause. 

• Like 1