Green Bay/Appleton WI recs

Zepol87

Finalized my travel today. I'll be headed to the area on 8/16. I will actually be at out of our Appleton office but Pitt vs GB play that night so figured I'll stay in GB that day and hit the game. After that it's Appleton. I heard from a buddy that downtown Appleton by the river isn't terrible. Any specific recs for the area??

On 7/26/2018 at 7:40 PM, Underdog said:

By all means, check out the Packers HoF/Museum at Lambeau if you get a chance. 

Take the Lambeau tour if possible, too. The Alumni Tour and HOF package is the most comprehensive and will take most of the day. There's a lot of material to cover. https://www.packers.com/lambeau-field/stadium-tours  

Then go across the street to Kroll's. Happy hour is Monday through Friday from 3:30pm to 7:00pm. It isn't the greatest restaurant but you'll be able to cross booyah off your eating list. 

Don't bother trying to find the party houses. They look like normal homes when the the Pack isn't playing in Green Bay. On game day it's another matter.

Packers games have been sold out since 1960 and the waiting list is at 133, 700 people; the wait time is estimated at fifty years but that isn't true because there is virtually no turnover. Most people inherit their tickets. When a baby is born, you get the birth certificate and then sign him or her up on the Green Bay waiting list. I am not kidding. The other thing is that the people I know with season tickets will meet at a bar to jump on the rental bus to Green Bay. Once we get there, we are scattered all over the stadium. So, if you are planning on going to a game, start checking the online scalpers now.

Don't don't forget to have your picture taken at the new Lambeau Leap statue.

gDmgI4M1_o.jpg

If you have an extra day, drive north from Green Bay to Door County. Picturesque lighthouses, beautiful Peninsula State Park. Instead of a fish fry, have a fish boil.  

Appleton is kind of a drive-by city to me. I've eaten at The Red Ox, a steakhouse. It was okay. If you have never had Chicago-style hot dog or dipped Italian beef with mozzarella (no giardiniera - sweet peppers), try  Downtown Chicago Grill. Italian beefs are messy - casual clothes, grab plenty of napkins. Trust me. For Chicago deep dish pizza, Uno's. For German food or Friday night fish fry, Mark's East Side. I like the schnitzel a la Holstein (ask for asparagus) and schaum torte for dessert. 

Appleton has a lot of shopping opportunities; I'm not really a shopper. Oshkosh has an outlet mall.

Or you could drive around Lake Winnebago and visit High Cliff State Park. Or rent a boat and explore Lake Butte des Morts (Bluff of Death) and Lake Winneconne.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Underdog said:

We did the Tour also, very cool. Let us get near the edge of the field. 

Even the field at Lambeau is interesting.

At the beginning of one tour, the guide asked, "What makes the Packers different from other NFL teams?" And this little boy yells, "THEY'RE AWESOME!" The guide was looking for being publicly owned but I liked the kid's answer, too. That was a great tour.

Forgot a Green Bay side trip: The National Railroad Museum. Most exhibits are indoors; a rain shower won't spoil the trip. There are locomotives and cars you can board so you're not just looking at trains from ground level.

JzbmgVmI_o.jpg

My favorite: A rare geared logging locomotive for steep slopes and tight turns with heavy loads. Rusting away on the back lot waiting patiently for restoration. Note the link and pin coupler on the front of the engine.