Need help deleting bad Outlook profile

Tonesky

Short version - I've fucked up a new computer.

I installed Office 2010, opened Outlook, got the appropriate prompts for setting up email, and apparently did something wrong in Exchange account setup that I cannot undo.  Now, Outlook tries to load my profile, fails, will not allow changes to the settings, and closes.  I have progressively deleted more and more in an effort to get back to zero, without success.  I have now deleted MS Office, deleted all remaining Office files I can find in Program Files and in User Files, and deleted all Office files in the Registry.  Then, after rebooting, installing Office, and opening Outlook, it still wants to load the same GD screwed up profile, hangs, and closes.  There is a file somewhere that needs to go, but I've exhausted the Googles.  

Go to the control panel. Go to user accounts. The bottom choice should be email 32 bit, or something like that. The default profile should say outlook. Delete it. Restart outlook and it will ask you to name the new profile. Add in the correct information for your exchange account...profit.

Why on Earth do you have a “new” computer with Office 2010?? Also, my directions above may be slightly off as I am in a sports bar right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Go to the control panel. Go to user accounts. The bottom choice should be email 32 bit, or something like that. The default profile should say outlook. Delete it. Restart outlook and it will ask you to name the new profile. Add in the correct information for your exchange account...profit.

Why on Earth do you have a “new” computer with Office 2010?? Also, my directions above may be slightly off as I am in a sports bar right now.

Yup, that's what I eventually figured out.  You're description is pretty spot on.  It's a clean install on an old computer, to which I added an ssd for the OS and programs, and some additional RAM.  My old Office 2010 is more than enough - no need to drop $200 or more on the new Office 2019.  Replacing so much shit lost to Harvey (including trying to build a house), that I don't need to replace a functional computer.

You need at least office 2013 or you will run into compatibility issues with other apps like Adobe dc. You should get an office 365 license. Totally integrates with SharePoint,  teams, projects, etc seamlessly.

Don't forget to go into regedit , ctrl a, delete.

Edited by MissingInAction

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Don't forget to go into regedit , ctrl a, delete.

I deleted from the registry in my initial tries to fully remove, but the profile persisted.  The answer was to reinstall Office and then deal with the profile in control panel. 

This is a home computer with light work usage.  Just need to connect to my office Exchange email, which it now does.  Thanks for weighing in.