show off your RC toys

52-80

15 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Vintage RC10s are expensive as hell st the moment! Have you seen the stainless/clear collector kit they have out now?

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/cars_and_trucks/RC10CC/Kit/parts_accessories/

Haven’t seen that.  Pretty cool. 

All in this wasn’t that bad. It was $900 including all the electronics and a set of aluminum wheels.  I think back in the 80’s it would have been about 600 or 700.  

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2023 at 7:02 PM, CleverNickname said:

I remember my hornet turnbuckles making my thumbs bleed in '89.

My 8 year-old daughter now wants a car and so far we are currently strictly Tamiya in this house (although I desperately want an old-school Kyosho Optima or RC10) so I debated a Grasshopper or Hornet - both of them are still in production in all of their bouncy single-axle shitty suspension glory.

But they are about the same price or more expensive than my son's DT-03 Racing Fighter, which came with a great motor and a few other add-ons out of the box, so she's getting a DT-03 she's going to paint in the old-school Frog scheme (which the DT-03 is the 2000's version of the 1980s Frog).  It's easy to work on, parts are extremely plentiful, and it's very cheap (around $100).

I went round and round this time, but as much as I love nostalgia, I don't want them having a shitty experience in this day and age.

Plus I'm slowly restoring my original Hotshot, although it's fast becoming my own personal Ship of Theseus, with only the chassis and a few other parts not having been replaced.  I've replaced all electronics, shocks, axles, tires/wheels, and and suspension for better/newer parts that shouldn't break as easily this time around, and hell, somebody made a $150 aluminum chassis for the Hotshot, but if I did that, then I would have two Hotshots, my original and one I built out of parts I ordered.

I can't wait to run my rebuilt Hotshot in a month or two, because so far, between a newer battery, replacing the old servo/mechanical speed control with an electronic, replacing the steering servo, swapping out some parts for aluminum/carbon,  removing a 4xAA battery pack (to power the servos and keep it from running away, and it was tucked in the driver's compartment), adding a torque-tuned motor versus a 1980s motor I rebuilt multiple times. and a few other things, I've cut the weight by almost a third, increased the run time from 7-8 min to 30 minutes, increased the speed by 4-5 mph (before the weight reduction is factored in).

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/27/2023 at 12:27 PM, Atxracer said:

This is where my love of cars started when I was about 10 or 11.  Found some dude willing to sell this one for some shelf art for my office.  Super excited.  

Very nice, I've been watching eBay, Craigs List, etc. for a while, looking for a steal on one of these.  They are so freaking expensive and Associated sells through their production runs when they re-release them.

We were out at Thornhill last fall and saw some folks racing some of these.

For those of you with kids, or who just love RC, big event this weekend at the track in Hutto

https://www.thornhillrc.com

https://www.facebook.com/ThornhillRacingCircuit/posts/pfbid014NbwqJAAcyBxbzfxeyD4yotypxoMM1SBwTbemPneWUmQpBPSCruLvHPg4iuC51el

The start of the 2024 RC PRO Series is this weekend. A brand new layout has just been put in by Ethan Lefebvre and it is a supercross inspired layout with a truly inspired jump line at the front of the track. Signups will be at the track starting on Friday.

As always RV’s and Pit trailers CAN NOT PLUG INTO TRACK POWER. If you are caught plugging into track power you will be told to leave.

Here is some important info you will need:

• -You can signup at the track
  • -Pit tables are first come first serve (we don't reserve spots)
  • -RV's and trailers must park in the grass areas and CAN NOT plug into track power!
  • -Bring a table/chair/ezup/extension cord if you can just in case our pit areas fills up.
  • -Concession Stand will be open please support it

Here is the schedule:

Friday: (you must signup before practicing)

• 10:00am Practice Opens
  • 8:00pm Practice Closes

Saturday:

• 8:00am Practice opens for those that did not run on Friday
  • 8:30am practice closes
  • 9:00am Qualifiers Start

Sunday:

• 8:00am Mains Start

Track Address:

• Thornhill Racing Circuit
  • 1575 County Road 101
  • Hutto Tx 78634

428695237_899563745505830_36667120939961

On 2/29/2024 at 9:14 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Very nice, I've been watching eBay, Craigs List, etc. for a while, looking for a steal on one of these.  They are so freaking expensive and Associated sells through their production runs when they re-release them.

We were out at Thornhill last fall and saw some folks racing some of these.

This has become an issue, lol. I now have 3 of them plus a new OG still sealed in the box that will stay that way on the shelf.  The first one will remain decoration. The second 2, plus a lot of additional parts, will be as suped up as you can make it in this generation.    

I have heard about Thornhill and will probably check it out someday.  

On 3/2/2024 at 8:28 PM, Atxracer said:

I have heard about Thornhill and will probably check it out someday.  

So I didn’t realize it’s normally only 1/8 scale, and don’t know if that’s only on race days. - we’ve seen other scales there, but they are focused on 1/8 on race days for sure