The worst timeline...now with book burning.

Bateshorn

On 10/11/2019 at 8:36 PM, F250 said:

My first impression was that she is Puerto Rican, I checked and she is Cuban. I was off by about 30 miles.

Agreed. She has a chameleon-like appearance, and I don't mean that as an insult. Like me she can move comfortably in both Latino circles and white circles. There's a very good chance that she has benefited from both white privilege and Latino privilege extensively in her life, both in Cuba and in the US. Latino privilege in terms of college admissions, grants, scholarships, etc. I readily admit that I have benefited from both in my life.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 9:48 PM, Mole said:

1. FYE classes would be better served focusing more on academic integrity than advancing some ideology. I say this from experience and the endless plagiarism reporting that I find myself doing.

2. The ship has long since sailed, but if the goal is introspection by the beneficiaries (white men) and a more just and caring society for the less privileged, x privilege is unproductively antagonistic. It takes things that would be inherent in a better culture and casts them as tools of oppression. The phenomenon described as white privilege is no doubt true, but it implies an approach to dealing with it from a backwards perspective. I’m sure I’m guilty of white fragility or some other term designed to bludgeon out a victory rather than find mutual understanding and cultural growth.

3. All too often, and it appears to be the case based on the article, calls of white privilege are used to negate someone else’s experience rather than bring about mutual understanding. I’m sure this can be written off with claims of white fragility as well (another true phenomenon that is described in antagonistic terms).

4. Book burning, even of bad books, is usually a bad thing, but I’d be willing to make some exceptions. 

5. These terms are often used to antagonize and reinforce the victim/oppressor dichotomy. They don’t necessarily do this and they claim to not do so, but in practice they often do. This is largely due to the way they are framed.

6.  This will probably be the best thing to ever happen to the author’s career. She owes those morons a debt of gratitude. I’d kill to have some conservative kids burn some of my academic work and make the national news. I’d probably attach the press clippings to my CV.

This is a really solid post.