Plant-based Diet Questions

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

let me know what you decide for breakfast!

Haha I was just being a douche. I’m not a big breakfast person during the week by nature but every now and then I’ll do some overnight oats or yogurt because I prefer cold things in the morning. Weekends on the other hand are going to be tough because I’m a big breakfast guy on those days.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:12 AM, Neonmoon said:

Anyone have a great Tofu recipe? I never feel like I can cook it as good as Whole Foods. I’m probably not squeezing the moisture out long enough. (Type of food doesn’t matter) 

Get firm or super firm and slit the top of the package on two sides and let drain.  When I was at Martin Bros we'd put it strainer and then put a bowl on top with a #10 can of whatever was handy to weight it down and squeeze out the water but we were getting it in 5gal buckets. 

Tofu has no taste of its own. I stirfry it separately in whatever the meal is being seasoned with and then add it to the rest of the meal a 5-10 minutes before serving. If memory serves the Martin Bros marinade for tempeh was tamari, ginger, and garlic then fried in sesame oil.  30 years later I still fry tofu in sesame oil.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I can’t give up cheese. I’m pretty it would kill me if I even tried.

Plant...centric.

Wife was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for decades but still couldn't get her cholesterol down which is why to change to vegan. Wife's cholesterol went down without the dairy. Her mom lives with us and her arthritis went away at 79 years old when we cut the dairy. She had those big gnarled knuckles that are now normal looking.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:12 AM, Neonmoon said:

Anyone have a great Tofu recipe? I never feel like I can cook it as good as Whole Foods. I’m probably not squeezing the moisture out long enough. (Type of food doesn’t matter) 

mapo tofu is great.  might add some toasted sesame seed or chopped peanuts for some crunch.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/the-best-vegan-mapo-tofu-recipe.html

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Wife was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for decades but still couldn't get her cholesterol down which is why to change to vegan. Wife's cholesterol went down without the dairy. Her mom lives with us and her arthritis went away at 79 years old when we cut the dairy. She had those big gnarled knuckles that are now normal looking.

yeah well they're probably dead inside.

all joking aside, that's pretty amazing. turns out consuming other animals' milk might not have been a good idea.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yeah well they're probably dead inside.

all joking aside, that's pretty amazing. turns out consuming other animals' milk might not have been a good idea.

Fermented/aged and in moderation it is probably fine.  The US let the US ag industry lobbyists control the food pyramid we were all taught.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP