Barkskins

New show on Nat Geo, streams on Hulu the next day. It follows new settlers in New France during the late 1600's. Couple of women, couple of indentured servants, a Hudson's Bay Company man, etc. First episode was Monday night, I believe. Intriguing enough, but I am a fan of historical dramas and love anything in the colonial eras.

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

New show on Nat Geo, streams on Hulu the next day. It follows new settlers in New France during the late 1600's. Couple of women, couple of indentured servants, a Hudson's Bay Company man, etc. First episode was Monday night, I believe. Intriguing enough, but I am a fan of historical dramas and love anything in the colonial eras.

ive been watching.  i like it a lot so far.  one that that pricked my ears up was i saw in the opening credits that it was based on an annie proulx book, and that shes an executive producer on the show.  shes a novelist, and not a history buff, so i was a bit confused that she was involved in this.  in all the commercials and ads running up to the premiere it looked like a history, early colonies show so that's what i settled in for.   turns out thats not what this show is about at all.  i wont spoil it for you but you can google the novel.  it gets into the modern age.  

at any rate, i like it and will watch it to the end.

Yeah, I've read that the source material it covers from the colonial period to the modern period, but I haven't seen anything indicating that at least this season of the show does. From all indications I could find in the short amount of time I spent looking, season 1 is at least following the same period. And honestly if it kinda does the whole Louis Lamour Sacketts thing and follows their ancestors through time I am cool with that.

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Third and fourth episodes are streaming on Hulu now. Just finished the the third, will watch the fourth tomorrow. So far I'm really liking it. If you watched Frontier and liked it, this is the show for you right now. Better writing, better production quality, better everything.

yep, i'm liking it so far too.  reminds me of the pbs series jamestown.

• 2 weeks later...