Vintage Stereo Gear Fanatics

1leggedduck

I was also disappointed that my speaker relay did not get replaced during a repair (at Dallas Vintage Audio), because it does now cut out in the right channel at low volume on quiet records. Alas.
I just want the thing to work for another 45 years without having to think about it, as was my parents' method.

I’ve heard very mixed reviews about that place. I had an outstanding tech in McKinney, Mufich Audio, but he seems to have disappeared a few years ago. Hi Fi techs are a notoriously flaky bunch.

There is a new place in Plano but have not dealt with him personally.

https://www.metzgervintageaudio.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, TexPx said:

I’ve heard very mixed reviews about that place. I had an outstanding tech in McKinney, Mufich Audio, but he seems to have disappeared a few years ago. Hi Fi techs are a notoriously flaky bunch.

There is a new place in Plano but have not dealt with him personally.

https://www.metzgervintageaudio.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah.  This has been a saga of my trying to get it worked on somewhat locally.  FWAudio is the closest McIntosh service place to me at this point.  They'll get it done.  I'm trying to be understanding.  And I think they'll take care of it.  But I really want this thing up and running soon.

I updated carts on my #2 turntable. I also set up cooling fans on the KR 7600 because the Infinity Qb s are 4 ohm.

I put a new Ortofon 10 Super on the Pioneer PL S40. Reasonably priced, easily upgraded with multiple styli available. Now the damn thing sounds better than my Sure cart on the PL 518. It could only mean one thing. An upgrade on the 518 is due! What an illness.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...

Having been in the audio business since 75 I’ve had some pretty good gear. Right now for some reason I’ve got what little remains in storage; we moved into this small house as a bridge house and we’re still here 7 years later.

I’d kill to have my Sansui 9090dB receiver. It was a beast and I moved it too many times; those acrylic boards are like eggshells. The capacitors were like tomato cans.

My favorite speakers were very rare NHT model 150’s, that Kenny Kantor and Chris Byrne designed for themselves as a rock n roll speaker, a 12” 3 way. They did not release them to their general distribution. Pure awesomeness.

I had several Dual turntables but I found a pristine Thorens TD160 at an estate sale for $25. Put an Ortofon cartridge on it and it was magnificent.

Had two TEAC A3340S reel to reels that were badass. Folks don’t know the joy of sitting at the rack making a 7 hour mix tape over a weekend. Weed. Whiskey.

My best CD player was a Pioneer Elite CDL3070 Laserdisc player. Awesomeness.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

My favorite speakers were very rare NHT model 150’s, that Kenny Kantor and Chris Byrne designed for themselves as a rock n roll speaker, a 12” 3 way. They did not release them to their general distribution. Pure awesomeness

burn-elmo.gif

10 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I hate to tell you this but they were destroyed in a move 20 years ago. Storage facility fire, lost some less important gear. Chris Byrne had sent them to me personally to audition and enjoy.

Goddamn shame to hear that