The Witcher 3 +DLC

GotThatFire

Figured one of the best games ever made deserved a thread on the new site, even if it doesn't get much traffic.

I also just wanted to point out, for anyone that played this game but didn't play the DLC, you're missing out. Go buy the DLC and play it again, you won't regret it.

Toussaint, part of the DLC, is by far the most beautiful video game land I've ever seen. After watching me play, my wife is obsessed with it, and is begging me to make our house/yard like in the game. Which I will happily oblige. 

If you did not know, for those of you that loved Gwent, there is a gwent video game ... And in 2020ish, there will be a TV show. 

CD Projekt Red, thanks for the memorable game. Will there be a Witcher 4? Hope so

The Witcher series is fantastic. One of my favorite book series, the games get somewhat diverse reviews, but each of them had clever and innovative elements and dynamics that went on to be used frequently across the genre.

Not a game you can just pick up and be good at, it requires familiarization, and if you really want to get the full immersion experience, it also requires you study and read the lore, which is all over the game. If you look at it as useless crap you have to do to progress in the game, then it's annoying and tedious. If you look at it as more ways that the worldbuilding allows you to get fully immersed, and as layers of depth to help you get deeper and deeper into the game, then it's engrossing and quite impressive how fleshed out the world really is.

If the second one applies to you, you really need to read the books.

Witcher 3 with it's two story DLC packages is simply phenomenal.  There isn't an aspect to that game that I dislike.

I definitely enjoyed the first game, but I never got into the second game for whatever reason.

I did read one of the story collections, Blood of Elves I think.  High quality stuff.

Here's hoping we hear more about CDProjekt's new game, CyberPunk 2020, at E3 this year.

Edited by HornsOverIthaca

Witcher 2 had my favorite opening of any game I've ever played and just watching this got me into the series. The books are great and really show that a ton of work went into Witcher 3. It adds so much depth to the world, in addition to all of the lore available in game. I've only completed the game once not including DLC, part of the way through that, but it's a masterpiece. On my ng+ playthrough I'm going to spend more time reading the notes, beastiary, character bios, use fast travel less and enjoy the visual upgrades they've made since realease.

I'm pretty sure CD Projekt Red has said they're pretty sure that 3 was the end of Geralt's story, maybe there's a possibility of them making another after Cyberpunk 2077, which should be super badass

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Taking a stab at this since the Netflix series came out.  Had this game for a couple of years prior, but was completely overwhelmed by its massiveness.  How are they able to fit this all in on a PS4?  I like the free form-ishness of some of the storylines.  You can really fuck it up.  And don't get stuck in a dungeon without any food, fuck me.  You'll spend a week pondering "am I going to have to start all over?"

Should I buy the 2 expansions now, or after I beat the game?  I've only recently met up with Triss, so I'm not that far into it (~1 month of playing so far 🤣)

Over the weekend, I finished the main story and 85% of all side quests, witcher contracts, and treasure hunts. Time played clocked in at 167.5 hours over 3.75 months. I am going to do the expansions and the remaining 15% after taking a rest for a week or two. At around 20 hours played, I started keeping track of how long I was playing in each of the main areas of the map. At 60 hours in, I became more thoughtful with my decisions because I didn't want to get a bad ending. At 90 hours in, I never wanted to stop playing. I became personally invested in the story. The amount of care and quality dedicated to the writing and voice acting in this game is incredible.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 7:54 PM, Leamas said:

Over the weekend, I finished the main story and 85% of all side quests, witcher contracts, and treasure hunts. Time played clocked in at 167.5 hours over 3.75 months. I am going to do the expansions and the remaining 15% after taking a rest for a week or two. At around 20 hours played, I started keeping track of how long I was playing in each of the main areas of the map. At 60 hours in, I became more thoughtful with my decisions because I didn't want to get a bad ending. At 90 hours in, I never wanted to stop playing. I became personally invested in the story. The amount of care and quality dedicated to the writing and voice acting in this game is incredible.

That's pretty much how I am with it. Restarted it after the netflix series came out and renewed my interest, I listened to the books and now I read everything on this playthrough. I read the character bios, beastiary entries, all the letters and notices, and all the shit that I didn't bother to read the first time I played. It's a game that's super deep with lore and backstories that are really interesting.