El Diablo

Aquarium Homies Thread

I've been in the process of downsizing the last few weeks. I liked having a fish room but decided the space could be better utilized. I tore down 2 10 gallon tanks and their inhabitants were transferred into the 55 gallon tank. It's way under stocked and way over filtered so the small additional bioload won't make any difference.

One of the fish was a Betta named "Eddie" that had been living all alone in 10 gallons of space his whole adult life. They're kept as solitary fish because of their aggressive nature but as I suspected with the 40 or so other fish in the big tank he was actually a bit overwhelmed by all the new companions and has retreated to living under a log. Kinda like a hermit moving to NYC I guess.

The other tank had a half dozen mutt guppies and about that many of their fry. They don't give a shit where they live as long as there's food and someone to breed with. The two shelf units for those tanks are still here, just moved elsewhere.

And I've still got 2 20 gallon tanks that I'm going to consolidate into just one. I've got a single strain of Endler's guppies in the one and they're well into their 3rd generation so even if they get watered down with the mixed strains in the other tank they'll be passing those Cobra genes along for a long time.

Anyway, that's what's going on with my fish. It was fun but I was spending more time on maintenance than I really wanted to and not enjoying them enough. I can manage 2 tanks easily after juggling 5.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, El Diablo said:

I've been in the process of downsizing the last few weeks. I liked having a fish room but decided the space could be better utilized. I tore down 2 10 gallon tanks and their inhabitants were transferred into the 55 gallon tank. It's way under stocked and way over filtered so the small additional bioload won't make any difference.

One of the fish was a Betta named "Eddie" that had been living all alone in 10 gallons of space his whole adult life. They're kept as solitary fish because of their aggressive nature but as I suspected with the 40 or so other fish in the big tank he was actually a bit overwhelmed by all the new companions and has retreated to living under a log. Kinda like a hermit moving to NYC I guess.

The other tank had a half dozen mutt guppies and about that many of their fry. They don't give a shit where they live as long as there's food and someone to breed with. The two shelf units for those tanks are still here, just moved elsewhere.

And I've still got 2 20 gallon tanks that I'm going to consolidate into just one. I've got a single strain of Endler's guppies in the one and they're well into their 3rd generation so even if they get watered down with the mixed strains in the other tank they'll be passing those Cobra genes along for a long time.

Anyway, that's what's going on with my fish. It was fun but I was spending more time on maintenance than I really wanted to and not enjoying them enough. I can manage 2 tanks easily after juggling 5.

in my opinion bettas are only aggressive with other bettas.  otherwise they are the prey to most "community" fish.  their elaborate fins are too hard to resist.  tetras, swords, etc can give them a drastic haircut and have them cowering in the corner.  guppies would make for a nice tankmate, and anything bottom-feeding - loaches, cory's, etc.

10 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

in my opinion bettas are only aggressive with other bettas.  otherwise they are the prey to most "community" fish.  their elaborate fins are too hard to resist.  tetras, swords, etc can give them a drastic haircut and have them cowering in the corner.  guppies would make for a nice tankmate, and anything bottom-feeding - loaches, cory's, etc.

That's pretty much what I've seen as well. I've had a Betta tank with a divider before, made specifically to keep 2 Bettas in close proximity but separated and yeah, they flare a lot that way. My other Betta, "Colt McKoi", I bought from PSmart and he was being kept with some small fish. Might have been Rasboras. I don't have any of the fin nippers, just Platies, Cories, Gourami, Mollies. Colt lives in the 20 gallon mixed Endler's tank. No issues there at all. 

2 month update: Everything is running great, still have higher than normal P04 but I'm dosing P04 remover to get it under control. PH is great and dosing is finally stable at 95ml of Alk and 130ml of calcium per day.

Wife (pix already posted) bought a stunning midnight torch coral yesterday at a frag meet outside of Pensacola. I've placed it in the middle to get turbulent flow, as they enjoy random flow. It's just 1 head but it beautiful at night during "full blues."feac665c1d65804443eb19a32b3acd6d.jpg1b70acfd63b25a962ef088043ad66bcd.jpg