Big 12 Happenings

texasstrong12

Nobody overreacted to anything he said, nor did anyone have any sort of outlandish reaction. Matt made a light hearted comment about how “we (key word “we”) we’re leaving wiggle room that says we might be KU’s equal, and then Machinator simply said that Cameltoe pretty much never speaks for the majority of this board, which is a fact. That’s everything that happened. And in reality, from his dissing the UT hoops fan base to his own self-fellatio I’d say people went easy on him. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is what teams do when they lose a bunch of players.

People are drastically overvaluing the transfers that Big 12 teams added. Especially at OU, Tech, and Iowa State. 

Players like Mooney aren't going to come in and replace the production of Evans and Zhaire Smith. Calixte and Reynolds aren't going to come anywhere close to replacing the production of Trae Young. 

A lot of big 12 teams made stopgap additions because of the crazy amount of roster turnover. This will certainly prevent a huge drop off, but people are overvaluing the additions of some of these transfers. Most teams are replacing really good Big 12 players with decent players from smaller conferences. 

About the only team I view as "reloading" with transfers is Kansas. 

That's fine if you want to quibble over the semantics of "reloading," but we lose a lot from our team too and we are adding less immediately-ready talent than most, if not all, of those teams. I'm not saying all those teams will be great, it's more a reflection of our roster and coaching.

9 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

That's fine if you want to quibble over the semantics of "reloading," but we lose a lot from our team too and we are adding less immediately-ready talent than most, if not all, of those teams. I'm not saying all those teams will be great, it's more a reflection of our roster and coaching.

we actually don't lose a lot in comparison to other Big 12 teams. That's the thing. I'll break down the # of returning starts for all the Big 12 teams here in a second. 

Edited by texasstrong12

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is what teams do when they lose a bunch of players.

People are drastically overvaluing the transfers that Big 12 teams added. Especially at OU, Tech, and Iowa State. 

Players like Mooney aren't going to come in and replace the production of Evans and Zhaire Smith. Calixte and Reynolds aren't going to come anywhere close to replacing the production of Trae Young.

A lot of big 12 teams made stopgap additions because of the crazy amount of roster turnover. This will certainly prevent a huge drop off, but people are overvaluing the additions of some of these transfers. Most teams are replacing really good Big 12 players with decent players from smaller conferences. 

About the only team I view as "reloading" with transfers is Kansas. 

I should go copy/paste every single post you made before the 2016-17 season (11-22, 4-14) where you swore up and down that it was absolutely impossible to know what Texas would look like despite losing 97% of its team/production. Impossible. Absolutely impossible to know how a team replacing that many talented, senior players with younger, underdeveloped, less-skilled players would look. And yet now you’re on the exact opposite side of the fence and just as sure of yourself. Great stuff.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I should go copy/paste every single post you made before the 2016-17 season (11-22, 4-14) where you swore up and down that it was absolutely impossible to know what Texas would look like despite losing 97% of its team/production. Impossible. Absolutely impossible to know how a team replacing that many talented, senior players with younger, underdeveloped, less-skilled players would look. And yet now you’re on the exact opposite side of the fence and just as sure of yourself. Great stuff.

Up and down? I said it was tough to predict these things exactly like I'm saying right now. When teams lose a lot of production it can go either way dependent on how the FR develop or how transfers work out. 

That's the point. Saying we might be better than teams with a bunch of unknowns is not a crazy prediction. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

we actually don't lose a lot in comparison to other Big 12 teams. That's the thing. I'll break down the # of returning starts for all the Big 12 teams here in a second. 

I'm sure you will, but it doesn't really matter. We lose Bamba, Jones (who was our best player while healthy), Davis, Young, and Banks. 4 of those guys were rotation players for us last year. That's a significant loss from a team that tied for the second-worst record in the Big 12 last year.  We can lose less than other teams in the conference and still not finish in the top 4 teams next year, let alone top 2 or 3, like Camel indicated. Not only that, but we have less depth than last year. Basically nothing behind Sims if he gets hurt, struggles in a bigger role or is often in foul trouble and not much more at the 4, either.  I mean seriously, who's the backup for either Osetkowski or Sims? Hamm, Hepa? Neither of htose guys will be ready to handle a significant minutes load.

None of those factors include our level of coaching.  We're probably in the bottom 3-4 in the league in terms of coaching. So I'll say it again for you. It's insane to say that we should finish somewhere between 4th-2nd in the Big 12 next year, which is the position you've decided to take up alongside Camel.

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Up and down? I said it was tough to predict these things exactly like I'm saying right now. When teams lose a lot of production it can go either way dependent on how the FR develop or how transfers work out. 

That's the point. Saying we might be better than teams with a bunch of unknowns is not a crazy prediction. 

Yes, up and down, a million times over. Back then it was impossible for me to know that Texas wasn’t going to be any good despite replacing essentially everyone, only now all of the rams who are replacing players are definitely going to regress. Maybe you’ve learned.

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I'm sure you will, but it doesn't really matter. We lose Bamba, Jones (who was our best player while healthy), Davis, Young, and Banks. 4 of those guys were rotation players for us last year.

Bamba is the only real loss from that group. Jones is too if he doesn't return. 

The staff pretty much wanted Davis, Young and Banks gone. 

Again, he said we would be better than everyone but KU, KSU, and WVU and said we might be better than the latter two.  That is a crazy prediction.  Your simultaneous defense of Camel and softening of his position because you know it's an absurd take doesn't make sense.

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Yes, up and down, a million times over. Back then it was impossible for me to know that Texas wasn’t going to be any good despite replacing essentially everyone, only now all of the rams who are replacing players are definitely going to regress. Maybe you’ve learned.

Where did I say all the Big 12 teams will regress? I think Tech and Oklahoma State certainly will, but that's about it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Again, he said we would be better than everyone but KU, KSU, and WVU and said we might be better than the latter two.  That is a crazy prediction.  Your simultaneous defense of Camel and softening of his position because you know it's an absurd take doesn't make sense.

It's not really a defense. To me the point of his post was more we have a chance of being better than the 3 obvious teams that are going to be good in KU, KSU and WV.

That is not a crazy prediction to me when you look at the rosters of Big 12 teams. There's a lot of unknowns in the Big 12 next year. 

The other teams don’t even have Bamba’s and Jones’s to lose in the first place, and nearly all/actually all of them have better coaches. This is basketball, not math. We don’t get to automatically be good because we return more numbers than others. Also, TS12 is the same guy who said there’d be essentially no drop off defensively from Bamba last year to Sims next year, a puzzling take which shows where his Pollyanna mind is at. Texas loses NBA-level studs and it’s “we should be third, maybe second in the conference.” Other teams lose players and they’re all going to fall off. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

. Also, TS12 is the same guy who said there’d be essentially no drop off defensively from Bamba last year to 

Do you just like to twist my words to make your point? There's obviously going to be drop off in rim protection with no Bamba. The point was that the drop off is not going to be nearly as significant as some think. 

Sometimes I honestly feel bad for you that you play these games. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's not really a defense. To me the point of his post was more we have a chance of being better than the 3 obvious teams that are going to be good in KU, KSU and WV.

That is not a crazy prediction to me when you look at the rosters of Big 12 teams. There's a lot of unknowns in the Big 12 next year. 

One again, you're backing off what he actually said because you know it's an untenable position. What you say above is not the same as what he said.  He said we'll be better than those teams and have a chance of being better than KSU and WVU.  

7 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

TCU, Tech, ISU, OSU, and Baylor. I guess not KU, and not sure on KSU and WVU. So that's better than 6, not sure on 2, probably not better than 1.

Do you just like to twist my words to make your point? There's obviously going to be drop off in rim protection with no Bamba. The point was that the drop off is not going to be nearly as significant as some think. 

I don’t need to twist your words, you just say things that are easy to call out.

There's obviously going to be drop off in rim protection with no Bamba. The point was that the drop off is not going to be nearly as significant as some think. 

How is it not going to be significant? Bamba's 2017 defense >> Sims' 2018 defense. Sims 2017 defense >>>>> anyone we can sub in behind Sims in 2018.  It's not just about plugging in Sims for Bamba. We have no depth behind Sims or Osetkowski. Seriously, who's our third best big man? Royce Hamm? A single front court injury or even just consistent foul trouble from Sims could cause major problems.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

One again, you're backing off what he actually said because you know it's an untenable position. What you say above is not the same as what he said.  He said we'll be better than those teams and have a chance of being better than KSU and WVU.  

Fair enough, I don't agree with that statement.

I think the point of his criticism was again the idea we are only going to be "better than OU" in your initial post. You can say he took the extreme route in saying we have a chance of being "better than KSU and WV" but you took the exact same route when you tried to imply OU is the only team we might be better than. 

There's no doubt Cameltoe drinks the kool-aid, but some of you are just as extreme with the pessimism. 

Edited by texasstrong12

How is it not going to be significant? Bamba's 2017 defense >> Sims' 2018 defense. Sims 2017 defense >>>>> anyone we can sub in behind Sims in 2018.  It's not just about plugging in Sims for Bamba. We have no depth behind Sims or Osetkowski. Seriously, who's our third best big man? Royce Hamm? A single front court injury or even just consistent foul trouble from Sims could cause major problems.

We've finished 12th, 21st, and 40th in adjusted D under Shaka. Defense has not been the problem with Shaka. 

When we aren't a good defensive team under Shaka you might have a point. I bet we're still a top 30 defense next year without Bamba. 

We've finished 12th, 21st, and 40th in adjusted D under Shaka. Defense has not been the problem with Shaka. 

When we aren't a good defensive team under Shaka you might have a point. I bet we're still a top 30 defense next year without Bamba. 

We've always had elite defensive rim protectors and usually good big man depth. We'll have neither next year. A fairly significant drop off should be expected.  Go look at Shaka's history. He's had some bad defensive teams. It's not a lock we'll be good on defense next year by any means.

13 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I was banging this drum back on shaggy and all anyone could do was reassure me that you don’t need any bigs to win in the college game, as if Jay Wright’s Villanova = Shaka Smart’s Texas.

Edited by Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Fair enough, I don't agree with that statement.

I think the point of his criticism was again the idea we are only going to be "better than OU" in your initial post. You can say he took the extreme route in saying we have a chance of being "better than KSU and WV" but you took the exact same route when you tried to imply OU is the only team we might be better than. 

There's no doubt Cameltoe drinks the kool-aid, but some of you are just as extreme with the pessimism. 

Maybe I should've added Ok St to the list, but again, I was saying teams we could definitively say we should be be better than. I think we're in that middle group with those 4 or 5 other teams listed.  We could finish at the top of that heap or the bottom. I never said we'd be worse than all of them. I expect us to finish somewhere in the middle of that grouping.  I don't see how that's very pessimistic when you look at our performance the last two years.  Again, we were tied for the second-worst record in the conference last year.

12 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Maybe I should've added Ok St to the list, but again, I was saying teams we could definitively say we should be be better than. I think we're in that middle group with those 4 or 5 other teams listed.  We could finish at the top of that heap or the bottom. I never said we'd be worse than all of them. I expect us to finish somewhere in the middle of that grouping.  I don't see how that's very pessimistic when you look at our performance the last two years.  Again, we were tied for the second-worst record in the conference last year.

Profile pic bet?  I bet Texas finishes at least 6th or higher in the Big 12. Want to make the bet? 

Edited by texasstrong12

We did not have good big man depth in 2017. Our 2nd best big was Cleare who wouldn't start for most P5 teams and was complete food defensively on the perimeter. 

I'm assuming you mean 2016? Yeah, that's why I put  the word "usually" that you quoted. Also, Allen > Sims, Cleare > Hamm/Hepa? Again, you've avoided addressing how terrible our front court depth will be next year because you know it hurts your argument.

7 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I'm assuming you mean 2016? Yeah, that's why I put  the word "usually" that you quoted. Also, Allen > Sims, Cleare > Hamm/Hepa? Again, you've avoided addressing how terrible our front court depth will be next year because you know it hurts your argument.

I think our front-court depth is the weakness of the team, but in a way I'm excited we are finally guard heavy. 

The game is now guard oriented and we've been going too big in recent years. 

Profile pic bet?  I bet Texas finishes at least 6th or higher in the Big 12? Want to make the bet? 

Lulz. What part of "I expect us to finish somewhere in the middle of that grouping" are you not understanding?  If we're clearly better than 2 teams, clearly worse than 3 and finish in the middle of the rest, then that would be.... 5.5. 

So why would I bet they'd finish 7th or worse? You seem to be responding to words other than what I (or Camel) actually wrote tonight.

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz. What part of "I expect us to finish somewhere in the middle of that grouping" are you not understanding? 

Your first post on this subject matter. "Right now, it looks like Texas will be better than Oklahoma and.....???"

This is what got Camel going in the first place. The idea Texas might only be better than OU. This is the exact same route people took last year when they said we wouldn't be a tournament team and I made ban bets. It went from "we won't be a tournament team to oh my argument is we might be a tournament team". 

You were clearly implying in your first post that we might only be better than OU next year. Now it's gone to "middle of the grouping". 

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Your first post on this subject matter. "Right now, it looks like Texas will be better than Oklahoma and.....???"

This is what got Camel going in the first place. The idea Texas might only be better than OU. This is the exact same route people took last year when they said we wouldn't be a tournament team and I made ban bets. It went from "we won't be a tournament team to oh my argument is we might be a tournament team". 

You were clearly implying in your first post that we might only be better than OU next year. Now it's gone to "middle of the grouping". 

The point was that I struggle to pinpoint actual teams we'll be better than because we'll once again be stuck in a big middle grouping of the Big 12 like last year. If we're in a middle grouping, then there's a good chance we'll do better than some and worse than others, so saying there's only one team I can identify that we're clearly better than and also saying I wont be surprised if we finish 6th are not inconsistent statements.  I never said we'd finish 9th in the Big 12 only ahead of OU.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

10 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

The point was that I struggle to pinpoint actual teams we'll be better than because we'll once again be stuck in a big middle grouping of the Big 12 like last year.

We will be better than at least Oklahoma State, OU, Iowa State, and Baylor next year. You can feel free to bump this if I'm wrong. 

34 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I was banging this drum back on shaggy and all anyone could do was reassure me that you don’t need any bigs to win in the college game, as if Jay Wright’s Villanova = Shaka Smart’s Texas.

Ban bet? If Texas finishes higher than top 35 in adjusted D you leave if they don't I leave. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Jesus kid, stop throwing down the gauntlet every time you disagree with someone. Just the other day you were incredulous at the idea that you make things around here personal. Well make note of it now.

And ftr no, I don’t think we’ll finish in the top 30 of AdjD.

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Jesus kid, stop throwing down the gauntlet every time you disagree with someone. Just the other day you were incredulous at the idea that you make things around here personal. Well make note of it now.

Personal? It's just funny you make these extreme comments but won't back them up. Just like last year when you said we wouldn't make the tournament and I made the same bet. 

I make these bets because people normally wiggle out of their initial comments. Just like above where it from "maybe better than OU" to "middle of the grouping". 

Edited by texasstrong12

You are a beating to argue with. You’re obsessed with winning arguments. You latch on to key words and minute points and drive the discussion off on a tangent for sport. It’s why you find yourself in so many back-and-forths with different posters. You’re totally unconcerned with hearing/understanding/processing anything else that anyone is saying, and you can’t let anything go. You’re just all, “Welp, I’ve got my side of the argument, and all that matters now is that I win.”

This one started when a couple of people were a bit bemused by some classic cameltoe BS and now here you are making the discussion personal with two different posters and actually challenging both of them to put their money where their mouth is, including a ban bet. You don’t want to hear anyone out and discuss anything, you want to win the fight. It’s bad for discussion. Open up your eyes to this pattern. Eventually people stop even trying to discuss anything with the guy who has to be right all of the time.

Edited by Goo Punch

26 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

This one started when a couple of people were a bit bemused by some classic cameltoe BS and now here you are making the discussion personal with two different posters and actually challenging both of them to put their money where their mouth is, including a ban bet. You don’t want to hear anyone out and discuss anything,

Extremes go both ways. Cameltoe definitely drinks the kool-aid but it all started when another poster tried to imply we might only be better than OU next year. 

I agree that it's probably absurd to think we are better than Kansas and K-State next year. I also think it's absurd to imply we might not be better than at least a couple teams like Baylor, Oklahoma State and Iowa State. 

You can say Cameltoe is the problem here with his extreme takes but the same happens every year on the opposite spectrum. Last year it was "no chance we make the tournament" when it was obvious we were a tournament team. This year it's "we might only finish above OU in the Big 12 standings" when it's obvious several Big 12 teams are in rebuild mode. Or now it's "we're going to suck on defense without Bamba" even though we still have a bunch of plus defenders still on the roster. 

I don't care about being right. I care about finding a middle ground that isn't extreme takes year in year out. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Final 5 games of the season where Texas either had Bamba for limited minutes or didn't play

Oklahoma State avg 76.6 PPG (64 against Tex)

Kansas avg 81.4 PPG (80 against Tex)

WV avg 80.1 PPG (79 against Tex)-this game went to OT. 

Iowa State 72.8 PPG (64 against Tex)

Tech 74.6 PPG (73 against Tex)

Also of note, only 5 of the top 20 scorers are returning to the Big 12 next year (one of those include Osetkowski). There's going to be a drop off offensively next year for Big 12 teams even with the addition of all these transfers. You can almost bet on it with all this roster turnover. 

Top Big 12 scorers returning:

Wigginton 5th (16.7 PPG)

Wade 7th (16.2 PPG)

Brown 8th (15.9 PPG)

Osetkowski 15th (13.4 PPG)

Azubuike 18th (13 PPG)

Lard 21st (12.6 PPG)

Bane 22nd (12.5 PPG)

Roach 23rd (12.3 PPG)

James 25th (11.9 PPG)

Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, WV, and Baylor don't have a single top 25 scorer returning from last year. OU barely has one with James at 25th. You can almost certainly expect an offensive drop off next year in the Big 12.

Here's the top 20 returning scorers by conference: Big 12 (5) SEC (9) ACC (9) Big East (7) Big 10 (9) Pac 12 (9). Scoring isn't the end all be all in terms of determining conference strength, but I bet these numbers are similar for other stats like rebounds/assists. The Big 12 is losing more than any other power conference. Transfers certainly minimize some of those issues, but the Big 12 is losing a lot of offensive firepower compared to other conferences. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Is Osetkowski even going to be able to run down the court this year? He gained like 25 pounds during the season. I can’t imagine the amount of weight that fucker gains when he isn’t running up and down a court every day. He’s probably 340 right now. 

Edited by Jhawk
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

I don’t have a dog in the fight, but Texas played slooooooow last year...316th nationally in tempo. So, evaluating the defense with raw PPG is a pretty poor way to do it.

That's fair

Edited by texasstrong12

DO needs to reshape his body and play fewer minutes.

I think Hepa will be better than some will give credit for. The question is, what will he physically be able to withstand? He needs to have a really good summer. Same for Hayes.

I'll be happy to be wrong, but I don't think Hamm is even worth mentioning as a contributor. I'll also be surprised if Jones can give us 70% of what he gave us pre-diagnosis (fuck cancer).

I don't expect to see Havoc at Texas, but we need to play at a higher tempo. I'm considering a Pomeroy subscription so I can track our pace stats next season.

People are underrating Iowa State. They bring back Wigginton, they have an experienced facilitator in Weiler-Babb, and they bring in a top-50 guard recruit. This on top of Lard returning and the transfers they brought in who sat out last season.

I'm curious to see how the situation with De Sousa plays out.

WVU bringing back Konate is big. There's no doubt that they have significant experience at guard to replace, though. Who's their PG going to be?

8 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I'm sure you will, but it doesn't really matter. We lose Bamba, Jones (who was our best player while healthy), Davis, Young, and Banks. 4 of those guys were rotation players for us last year. That's a significant loss from a team that tied for the second-worst record in the Big 12 last year.

This is such nonsense I have to call it out. First off, why are you citing Jones as a loss in this conversation about off-season changes? We already lost Jones early in the season last year and still made the dance. The rest of the guys you cited there MIGHT NOT HAVE GOTTEN PLAYING TIME on this year's roster and that is the REASON THEY TRANSFERED. That is nothing like TCU losing Brodziansky and Williams and all the other senior leader losses around the Big12.

Secondly, I love your wording on our conference record, "tied for the second-worst record in the Big 12 last year." LOL. We finished tied for 6th place with 3 other teams with a record of 8-10. Four of the 5 teams finishing ahead of us went deep in the Big Dance. There is nothing shameful about our conference record last year that we put up WITHOUT Jones.

Edited by Cameltoe
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I don't expect to see Havoc at Texas, but we need to play at a higher tempo. I'm considering a Pomeroy subscription so I can track our pace stats next season.

Do it. I'm happy to renew my sub every year. One of the best sites on the whole net.

Oh and btw, I think our roster might finally be ready for Havok this year if Shaka wants to go that route.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Guest Lobo

Our non-conf. schedule is shaping up to be brutal again:  Arkansas, Georgia, UCLA, Michigan State, and North Carolina so far.  NONE OF THEM AT HOME.  All neutral or true road. 

We've always had elite defensive rim protectors and usually good big man depth. We'll have neither next year. A fairly significant drop off should be expected.  Go look at Shaka's history. He's had some bad defensive teams. It's not a lock we'll be good on defense next year by any means.
What good bigman depth did we have in Shaka's first year? (Or 2nd year for that matter?) Our best bigman missed 20+ games and Ibeh, Lammert, and Cleare made up the rest of that "depth"

We've had good big men on every one of Shaka's teams, but we've never had depth there. We probably won't have it this season either, at least not with the experience necessary to qualify as real depth.

Maybe this discussion should be moved to the thread about Texas basketball.

Is Osetkowski even going to be able to run down the court this year? He gained like 25 pounds during the season. I can’t imagine the amount of weight that fucker gains when he isn’t running up and down a court every day. He’s probably 340 right now. 
For what it's worth, it looks like he's lost a bunch of weight judging from his Instagram. Hopefully he's able to maintain the weight loss.

21 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
9 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

What good bigman depth did we have in Shaka's first year? (Or 2nd year for that matter?) Our best bigman missed 20+ games and Ibeh, Lammert, and Cleare made up the rest of that "depth"

You’re saying Ridley, Lammert, Ibeh, Cleare isn’t good depth? Lulz. The whole point of depth is that you can sustain an injury to your starting Center and it not immediately end your whole season. Plus, Ridley played most of the year and was a big part of our rating on D in 2015.

If Sims went down this year, we’d be in a way, way worse spot than the 2015 team was when Cam went down.