Big 12 Happenings

texasstrong12

yes, i got way overzealous one time (as I am wont to do) and *one time* said something pretty stupid about him. That doesn't erase the literally dozens of other, much more rational and well thought out posts I made about him which were spot on. you've been acting for years now as if the quote from your post is the only thing I ever said about him, because you know that everything else that i said was undeniably spot on. you can repeat it as often and as disingenuously as you'd like, it doesn't erase the facts.

Oh, and by the way, that danny newsome comment doesn't even look nearly as bad now as it did at the time that I said it. Allen was terrible when he started at Texas. Terrible.

8 points and 3 rebounds vs La Monroe

6 points vs Eastern Washington

5 points, 6 boards, 5 TO vs Northwestern (this was three consecutive games btw) 

6 points and 4 rebounds, 5 fouls vs michigan

4 points and 6 rebounds vs Long Beach State

and none of those small teams ended up being some sleeper team, they were all terrible. the point about allen not being ready to start was spot on.

Edited by Goo Punch

You can't understand this because you have never been in that position but quite often there is an adjustment period for new kids moving up to the next level and sometimes its even more difficult when you're on a young team.

What you are arguing is that whoever reaches the  3 mile mark first in a marathon wins it. The bottom line is that by the end of the season, Allen was good enough to be a first round pick. For someone who claims to be a big fan, you sure take cheap shots at players.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't think the consensus is that extreme. Downgrading Tech for the upcoming season is simply a nod to the amount of talent they lost.

i agree with that, but i've still seen plenty of people saying that tech won't ever be able to duplicate last season under Beard, and i just don't see why they can't. I see Tech, and to a lesser extent TCU and K State as being legitimate going forward.

On 9/7/2018 at 6:37 PM, Goo Punch said:

i agree with that, but i've still seen plenty of people saying that tech won't ever be able to duplicate last season under Beard, and i just don't see why they can't. I see Tech, and to a lesser extent TCU and K State as being legitimate going forward.

The lost just about every player who made them good last year but other than that, yeah they'll be great. 

They lost Evans to graduation, along with Stevenson, Gray, Hamilton, and Zach Smith--all big contributors for them last year.

They're 2nd leading scorer behind Evans, Zhaire Smith, left to go pro.

They lost some 75% of their scoring. They return Culver (who is good) and some role players. They will be worse than they were last year, by a wide margin.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:

The lost just about every player who made them good last year but other than that, yeah they'll be great. 

They lost Evans to graduation, along with Stevenson, Gray, Hamilton, and Zach Smith--all big contributors for them last year.

They lost some 75% of their scoring. They return Culver (who is good) and some role players. They will be worse than they were last year, by a wide margin.

i clearly was not talking about this upcoming season.

14 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

I would guess you likely didn't think they would be an elite 8 team last year as well.  In addition to Culver, they also have 3 four stars arriving as well as two pretty prized transfers.  I'm not necessarily predicting another elite 8 appearance, but think they'll be far better than you expect.  This, especially as the season progresses.

TCU got commits over the weekend from P.J. Fuller and Diante Smith.  Fuller is the #49 ranked player in the nation and Smith is #105.  We're also still in the running for Jalen Lecque, the #20 player overall.  If you had told me a few years ago that TCU would be in the running for a top 10 class nationally, I'd have told you to lay off the peyote.

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

On 9/7/2018 at 3:04 PM, Goo Punch said:

it's still puzzling to me that the consensus about tech seems to be that last year was a lucky one-off that Beard will never be able to duplicate. 

Consensus among whom?

Dude can flat out coach and has proven it more than once.

The development of Tech’s Freshmen players last season gives a lot of damned hope that someone( more than one, yeah!!!) will step up again.  Meanwhile, there is still a great base from which to operate with regard to talent.

Edited by slorch

On 9/9/2018 at 11:05 AM, Cameltoe said:

They advanced farther in the postseason than ever in program history.  Way to step out there...

I bet Tech still finishes in the top 3 in the conference.

Tech has a top 3-4 overall coach in our league and possibly a top 2 defensive coach. They’ll be just fine, especially in a league where there is more talent leaving than coming in. No teams got absurdly better this offseason. There is plenty of room at the top of the league for 1-2 teams to make their presence known. When KSU is returning the most experience there is plenty of reason to think any team with a good/great coach will be just fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 12:15 PM, Jhawk said:

Tech has a top 3-4 overall coach in our league and possibly a top 2 defensive coach. They’ll be just fine, especially in a league where there is more talent leaving than coming in. No teams got absurdly better this offseason. There is plenty of room at the top of the league for 1-2 teams to make their presence known. When KSU is returning the most experience there is plenty of reason to think any team with a good/great coach will be just fine. 

According to CBS sports anyway, Beard one of the 5 coaches likely to one day replace Calipari at Kentucky. https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/evaluating-john-caliparis-future-at-kentucky-and-the-top-5-candidates-to-one-day-replace-coach-cal/

I can't see a scenario where he is at tech once a top 10 job comes up.  I highly doubt he would jump to a place like Illinois because your star will fade fast by not producing at a top 30 school.  But if a top 10 school opens up he'd have to be a top candidate and he'd have to take the job.  I'm not sure he'd take UCLA but he could be good at UK, Indiana, KU, Duke would be a good spot if K would give up the reigns.  I think he'd do well at syracuse and probably Louisville too if Mack got the hell out of there quickly (which I think he would if a top 5 school came for him).  He'd also be great at MSU if Izzo moved on to the NBA or retirement.  Beard and Mack are the top 2 coaches that aren't at a top 5 program in my opinion.

14 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

According to CBS sports anyway, Beard one of the 5 coaches likely to one day replace Calipari at Kentucky. https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/evaluating-john-caliparis-future-at-kentucky-and-the-top-5-candidates-to-one-day-replace-coach-cal/

Just to be clear and not mislead, Beard was not mentioned in the initial group of 5 (which included Shaka) but rather the article  said:

In addition to the names listed above, some other coaches various sources mentioned as possible Kentucky candidates someday are Fred Hoiberg, Mike Hopkins, Chris Beard, Gregg Marshall and Chris Collins. And, before you ask, no, I did not consider Celtics coach Brad Stevens.

Edited by pigmeat markham

I don't get all the dick-licking for Kansas in the pre-season. Yeah they look pretty good on paper but it's all newcomers and freshmen. Their losses are significant--Graham and Mikaliuk were stalwarts for them the last 2 years and good leaders. Mikailiuk in particular has pretty much been the unsung hero of KU basketball the last 2 years. So their 2 best players are gone, and the services of Malik Newman will be missed as well.

They add a nice freshman backcourt in Grimes and Dotson, but they are FRESHMEN. The NCAA is not high school. Those 2 guys will be going up against guys who are 2-3 years older than them on a regular basis and that might be a problem for them. Vick has shown flashes of brilliance but has a reputation of being hard to coach.

Ask-a-bookie is a handful down low, that I will admit. All but the elitist teams will struggle to defend him. But his ball-handling and passing is not proven. The Lawson twins will probably help a lot, but we've yet to see the chemistry of all of this. It's too soon to declare this KU team as destined for the final four--just too many question marks right now.

26 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

They add a nice freshman backcourt in Grimes and Dotson, but they are FRESHMEN. The NCAA is not high school. Those 2 guys will be going up against guys who are 2-3 years older than them on a regular basis and that might be a problem for them. 

you cannot be serious. you, cameltoe, the guy who for the last 5 months will not stfu about how texas has five amazing huge superstud freshman coming in who are going to set the world on fire, are now making the argument that Grimes and Dotson are going to struggle because they are freshmen? 

I shouldn't even bother to respond to another terrible Derka post, but I'm bored. Look, no one is predicting our freshmen to cut down the nets in March. Some are predicting KU's to. Yes I am high on our incoming freshman class--I think they are giving Smart the first really full nucleus of widespread talent that he has had across the board on a roster since he came to UT. That doesn't mean I don't think they'll struggle in their freshman year, I think they will. That doesn't change the fact that we have 5 strong freshmen coming in, plus transfer Elijah Long.

On 9/22/2018 at 9:22 PM, Cameltoe said:

I don't get all the dick-licking for Kansas in the pre-season. Yeah they look pretty good on paper but it's all newcomers and freshmen. Their losses are significant--Graham and Mikaliuk were stalwarts for them the last 2 years and good leaders. Mikailiuk in particular has pretty much been the unsung hero of KU basketball the last 2 years. So their 2 best players are gone, and the services of Malik Newman will be missed as well.

They add a nice freshman backcourt in Grimes and Dotson, but they are FRESHMEN. The NCAA is not high school. Those 2 guys will be going up against guys who are 2-3 years older than them on a regular basis and that might be a problem for them. Vick has shown flashes of brilliance but has a reputation of being hard to coach.

Ask-a-bookie is a handful down low, that I will admit. All but the elitist teams will struggle to defend him. But his ball-handling and passing is not proven. The Lawson twins will probably help a lot, but we've yet to see the chemistry of all of this. It's too soon to declare this KU team as destined for the final four--just too many question marks right now.

You're not totally wrong here, but I think it's the very high talent level and depth plus Self getting the benefit of the doubt on making it all fit together that have people high on Kansas.

You can make an argument that this is the most talented team he's ever had. The best perimeter defender in the Big 12 will probably not start and Azibuike is probably the third best big on the roster.  The bodies that they're going to be able to hit people with is going to be incredible.

If we're looking back at a 9 loss team that gets bounced from the tournament in the round of 16 or something, I think the most likely explanation was that they didn't get enough perimeter shooting...but they should be between above average and elite at everything else.  Ceiling is high.

Bill Self is probably the best regular season coach in the county. and i don't say that as some diss on him in the postseason, just that he owns the regular season and he owns this league, and at this point it would be absurdly foolish to bet against this KU squad once again dominating the league and being a top 5-10 national team.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Am I wrong, I thought XII girl games were also on ESPN networks, or are those only on FOX networks the last few seasons..?

Some Big 12 WBB games are on ESPN but most are on FS1 or a regional affiliate. 2 major non-conf games are on the ESPN family (Tenn-Texas and UConn-Baylor) and 3 more conference games (TCU-OSU, & Texas-WV Sunday doubleheader and Baylor-Texas on Big Monday).

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Bill Self is probably the best regular season coach in the county. and i don't say that as some diss on him in the postseason, just that he owns the regular season and he owns this league, and at this point it would be absurdly foolish to bet against this KU squad once again dominating the league and being a top 5-10 national team.

I thought we had a legit chance to lose it last year but Graham emerged as a NPOY candidate and Svi was just amazing from 3.  Once Newman decided to play hard we had a damn good team but no depth.  This year we don't have the talent questions (depth too) we did last year, just the "fit" questions.  I'm not worried about that much because all of the guys who are stepping into the roster have been on the roster and in practices for a year.  The only two that haven't are a top 10 freshman and a PG that I don't think is going to play as much as everyone in lawrence thinks he is.  The rest of the big 12 is down from a talent perspective and the only teams that aren't down were way down the year prior (except KSU).  KSU is the only team I can see having a chance at the league and that will take bruce weber not shitting down his leg for 18 games.

This will be a year that I will focus on the UNC/NOVA/Duke/MSUs of the world during the regular season.  Like in 2008 I knew going into the season we were going to be deadly.  Once we got to february I didn't see a team in the country (outside of the eventual final 4 teams) that could play with us even on a down night because of our depth.  Our leading scorer averaged 13ppg that year.  I wouldn't be surprised if this team is a lot like that team with the bigger Lawson coming in around 15ppg.  If we are an average 3 point shooting team that doesn't go cold on any given night then we might walk into march being the favorite by a wide margin.  From there the goal is final 4 and then let the cards fall where they may.

I typically am not this high on a KU team, especially one with a question at pg.  But this year feels special to me.  I didn't even think Mason's senior year felt the way this one feels.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Some Big 12 WBB games are on ESPN but most are on FS1 or a regional affiliate. 2 major non-conf games are on the ESPN family (Tenn-Texas and UConn-Baylor) and 3 more conference games (TCU-OSU, & Texas-WV Sunday doubleheader and Baylor-Texas on Big Monday).

So ESPN & FS1 have a sort of "shared" agreement..? Either way it's good for the conference, and hopefully it leads to flexible agreements on women's hoops in the future...

Another real big one TT has a good shot at getting is Duncanville's Jahmius Ramsey.   Per CBS Sports, the guard is the 33rd rated player in the country overall and sixth rated combo guard.  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/texas-tech-lands-2019-big-man/

To this point, Beard is doing a really nice job recruiting.

Congrats to Tech fans. Thomas sounds promising.

As a freshman at College of Southern Idaho last season, the 6-foot-9, 202-pound forward averaged 14.7 points and 6.5 rebounds to lead his squad to the national championship game.

And he's apparently playing 90 minutes from here in Twin. I'd go watch him ... if he were a Texas commit.

14 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

In the article linked above by Satchel, they refer to him as the country's number one JC player.  Whether that's a widely held view or not  I have no idea.

It appears beard is going to be a total package coach.  Great to see a true up and comer in the big12.

Regarding JUCO guys in basketball, KU has had a couple come through that we sorely needed because of depth issues.  Neither sniffed the floor even in boat race games.  I don't want to diminish what could be a good get, but JUCO basketball players aren't typically NCAA ready even at a D3 level.  JUCO is basically a beer league because no one is gray shirting in basketball or promising recruits that if they go to 1 year at JUCO they will have a spot on a roster at a big school.  It just doesn't happen because the rosters are so small and there is an influx of talent each year that takes up the roster spot.

On 9/22/2018 at 9:22 PM, Cameltoe said:

11 in a row, or whatever it is.  Kansas will be very good, and they will win the league again, despite the Big 12 being one of the top basketball conferences.

I hate KU with every fiber of my being, but they've earned the dick licking at this point.

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

11 in a row, or whatever it is.  Kansas will be very good, and they will win the league again, despite the Big 12 being one of the top basketball conferences.

I hate KU with every fiber of my being, but they've earned the dick licking at this point.

14, and jhawk am i wrong in thinking there is only a very small chance that Desousa plays another minute at KU even though at this moment he's still eligible?

1 hour ago, qwertyu1234 said:

14, and jhawk am i wrong in thinking there is only a very small chance that Desousa plays another minute at KU even though at this moment he's still eligible?

Let's put it this way... Bill Self is saying that he is playing because KU has not been made aware of any change in his eligibility.  A lot of fans take that as gospel.  Bill is very diplomatic though and he always says that everyone is always eligble even if there are questions.  He doesn't say "We're getting fucked because Billy Preston is on the up and up."  But he does say "we've supplied the NCAA with everything they need to make a ruling and we believe that they will make a ruling and there will be closure.  We look forward to seeing billy on the court."

Those are two very different statements in my mind.  So... while a lot of KU fans believe that De Sousa is in the clear because HCBS said he is planning on him being in the clear, we all know that HCBS HAS NEVER PLAYED a player that he has any reason to believe might not be in the clear.  Personally, unless we get definitive answers from the NCAA on SDS before the season, or at least get an assurance that he won't retroactively be disqualified for games already played then there isn't a chance he plays again.

Even if we are natty favorites the only thing that would burn up all of the goodwill that HCBS has earned would be to have a banner removed from allen fieldhouse.  I just don't see him playing SDS unless he is planning on retiring after this year.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a great deal.  We should be doing partnerships with at least 1 conference every year.  I like the SEC deal even though it is basically KU v. UK each year.  I think having a SEC & Big East deal at the same time would be great for the conference.