Big 12 Happenings

texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I'm starting to think that Quentin Grimes could be a big xii poy candidate. the more i see/hear about him the more impressive he is.

It's hard to gripe about losing a head-to-head recruiting battle with Kansas in basketball, but man, what could have been.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 4:38 PM, Machinator said:

It's hard to gripe about losing a head-to-head recruiting battle with Kansas in basketball, but man, what could have been.

You know what is odd, depending on the official record KU claims 5 national championship titles, but the NCAA tournament only states there are 3 titles... That is weird...

On 8/8/2018 at 10:22 AM, kopp0e said:

You know what is odd, depending on the official record KU claims 5 national championship titles, but the NCAA tournament only states there are 3 titles... That is weird...

Maybe they had a couple of scrimmages with aggy through the years...

Upon further review, they claim 2 titles before there was a NC tourney

Pre-tournament Helms champions
1922, 1923
Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

if all three of those guys have an impact we'll be a top 15 team and finish 2nd in the conference. 

I don't want to bust your balls too bad because there is a lot of unknowns this year in the big12, but just because the guys have an impact on the team doesn't mean that they will have an impact on college basketball as a whole.  That could mean that the rest of the UT team is dogshit and those are the 3 guys to step up and take the reigns.  Shaka and the UT roster really haven't shown anything to show they can finish in the top half of the conference.  Then you are going to throw 3 freshmen into the mix and say they are going to lead your team or be impactful on the team?  That says more about the current roster than it does about the potential of the team.

Bamba was a top 5 draft pick and UT finished in 9th.  Sure there were injuries, but Bamba alone was probably more impactful than the three new guys will be combined.  You're reaching with saying you'll be top 15 or second in conference. 

There is plenty to be excited about with the potential, and even with a disastrous season (firing shaka), but you don't have to hype it to expectation levels that are out of line with what is really there.

18 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I don't want to bust your balls too bad because there is a lot of unknowns this year in the big12, but just because the guys have an impact on the team doesn't mean that they will have an impact on college basketball as a whole.  That could mean that the rest of the UT team is dogshit and those are the 3 guys to step up and take the reigns.  Shaka and the UT roster really haven't shown anything to show they can finish in the top half of the conference.  Then you are going to throw 3 freshmen into the mix and say they are going to lead your team or be impactful on the team?  That says more about the current roster than it does about the potential of the team.

Bamba was a top 5 draft pick and UT finished in 9th.  Sure there were injuries, but Bamba alone was probably more impactful than the three new guys will be combined.  You're reaching with saying you'll be top 15 or second in conference. 

There is plenty to be excited about with the potential, and even with a disastrous season (firing shaka), but you don't have to hype it to expectation levels that are out of line with what is really there.

You must not read much of what Derka has to say on here if you think he's hyping up anything about our basketball team.

Ha.... Calling a bunch of scrubs (with the exception of Jones and he is coming off a life threatening illness) and 3 true freshman a top 15 team is hyping to the max.  Throw in a coach who can't coach any offense and won't coach his famous defense and I'd say that Derka has hyped this about as much as possible.  Even the guys that produced and are back aren't any better than average.  Roach shot 43% from the field and a respectable 36% from 3.  He won't have defenses collapsing on Bamba this year to give him more space.  Jones is coming off the illness (great to seee him back!), and Coleman was just plain dogshit on anything but passing.  Is DO going to show up looking like the Michelin man this year?  Dude got in worse shape the more he played.  He's going to be 350 by november. 

The things to look forward to aren't on this roster (with the exception of Jones).  They are the fact that there is massive turnover in the big12 so it could be anyone's league after KU, and then the fact that if Shaka finishes outside the NCAA and in the last 2-3 spots in the big12 then CDC gets to hire a new coach and that should be exciting given where shaka has taken this program.  The excitement shouldn't be in the "difference makers."  The difference makers listed not being on the roster last year means that the roster from last year was shitty.

Now if you're talking about his intentions then I think there is a case to say he is being disingenuous.  He's saying UT will be a great team so he can slam the coach at the earliest sign of trouble.  There is no doubt in my mind about that, not that the coach doesn't deserve to be slammed.

37 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

now i'm hyping Texas to the max? you must have me confused with somebody else. it was pretty clear what i was saying, and it definitely wasn't hyping Texas up.

I read it as you saying "If we these 3 guys are studs and we add them to our roster then we will be top 15."

With that interpretation I have to assume you are giving credibility to the current roster as a good one that can produce some wins.

27 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I read it as you saying "If we these 3 guys are studs and we add them to our roster then we will be top 15."

With that interpretation I have to assume you are giving credibility to the current roster as a good one that can produce some wins.

well i'm not super high on Texas but you must be particularly down on us if you think it's just totally laughable to suggest that adding three impact players to our team could propel us to as high as the second best team in the conference. 

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

well i'm not super high on Texas but you must be particularly down on us if you think it's just totally laughable to suggest that adding three impact players to our team could propel us to as high as the second best team in the conference. 

Given what Shaka has produced out of his last crop of even better talent, yes, it is laughable to think UT will be any better because of their roster this year. Your best returning player didn’t even play most of the year last year and freshmen almost never reach potential in year 1. Once again, adding 3 freshmen as impact guys doesn’t mean they will impact your record, it means that the current roster is so bad that three guys who have never played the game of college basketball and have never played together are going to impact the minutes on your team. Having someone take DO’s minutes doesn’t mean you’re going to be great at the 4/5 spot. It might mean DO is fucking awful at the 4/5 spot. I’d lean toward the later given what your roster has accomplished in the last year. 

Im not trying to bag on UT but if UT moves up in the standings in the big12 it won’t be because they are better than last year. It will be because other teams in the league got worse or have more unkowns than UT does. 

by the way, i take huge huge huge offense to being accused of having ulterior motives; for someone to say, "oh he's just saying that because of (whatever reason- in this case i'm "pimping up the team to slam to coach later.") It kisses me off because of all of you have learned *one* thing about me is like to think that it would be the fact that i say exactly what i'm thinking at all times, regardless of how it will be received. I say exactly what i feel at face value; no need to read into it. 

look, i think that shaka smart is not ready to coach at his level; he's been a disaster at tecas as a program leader. outside of recruiting i think he's in way over his head. but i love texas basketball; i always want us to be good; and if i don't like the coach or i don't think he's up to snuff i do not think need to pull any tricks to prove my point. i belief that most of my beliefs are self evident, a fact which id think most of you would know by now. shaka's a good dude, and i would love for my kid to play for him; but he sucks as the texas coach. i'm allowed to both believe that and believe that we are three play makers away from being a top 15 team.

12 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

so, we're young again?

Yes, but less so than the last couple of years. If Andrew Jones gets back to 100%, the entire starting lineup (Coleman, Roach, Jones, DO, Sims) will have zero freshmen for the first time in Shaka's Texas tenure. That's 2 sophomores, a junior, a senior, and a redshirt senior, with 2 of the likely first four off the bench being a sophomore and a RS junior.

24 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Yes, but less so than the last couple of years. If Andrew Jones gets back to 100%, the entire starting lineup (Coleman, Roach, Jones, DO, Sims) will have zero freshmen for the first time in Shaka's Texas tenure. That's 2 sophomores, a junior, a senior, and a redshirt senior, with 2 of the likely first four off the bench being a sophomore and a RS junior.

I'm hearing some really good things about Ramey.

22 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Ha.... Calling a bunch of scrubs (with the exception of Jones and he is coming off a life threatening illness) and 3 true freshman a top 15 team is hyping to the max.  Throw in a coach who can't coach any offense and won't coach his famous defense and I'd say that Derka has hyped this about as much as possible.  Even the guys that produced and are back aren't any better than average.  Roach shot 43% from the field and a respectable 36% from 3.  He won't have defenses collapsing on Bamba this year to give him more space.  Jones is coming off the illness (great to seee him back!), and Coleman was just plain dogshit on anything but passing.  Is DO going to show up looking like the Michelin man this year?  Dude got in worse shape the more he played.  He's going to be 350 by november. 

The things to look forward to aren't on this roster (with the exception of Jones).  They are the fact that there is massive turnover in the big12 so it could be anyone's league after KU, and then the fact that if Shaka finishes outside the NCAA and in the last 2-3 spots in the big12 then CDC gets to hire a new coach and that should be exciting given where shaka has taken this program.  The excitement shouldn't be in the "difference makers."  The difference makers listed not being on the roster last year means that the roster from last year was shitty.

Now if you're talking about his intentions then I think there is a case to say he is being disingenuous.  He's saying UT will be a great team so he can slam the coach at the earliest sign of trouble.  There is no doubt in my mind about that, not that the coach doesn't deserve to be slammed.

dude don't take this the wrong way, but you're a fucking idiot. 

I get that sentiment, but there were a ton of people on the shithole site last year thinking that Jones, Bamba, roach were going to carry UT to the top half of the league.  UT hasn't gotten better defensively and the offensive schemes Shaka puts out there are hilariously inept.

I'll be around to eat plenty of crow if UT goes out and wins big and gets ranked in the top 15.  It just isn't realistic to expect that.

19 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I get that sentiment, but there were a ton of people on the shithole site last year thinking that Jones, Bamba, roach were going to carry UT to the top half of the league.  UT hasn't gotten better defensively and the offensive schemes Shaka puts out there are hilariously inept.

I'll be around to eat plenty of crow if UT goes out and wins big and gets ranked in the top 15.  It just isn't realistic to expect that.

Nobody's expecting top 15, dude. Even with our backwards offense, we would have probably made the top half of the league with Jones. Or did you forget that he missed nearly the entire conference season with cancer?

19 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Does anyone outside of Cameltoe expect that?

Derka was the one who said that if the freshmen are impact players for UT then you'll finish 2nd in the big12 and be a top 15 team.  I was only responding to him.

22 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

No one expects a top 15 team.  But it's not crazy to think we have the talent to be there.  Jones is a lottery pick type talent.  Coleman is a very good point guard.  Some mock drafts have Sims going in the 1st round.  Roach probably gets drafted next year.  That's not a bunch of jags.

23 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Derka was the one who said that if the freshmen are impact players for UT then you'll finish 2nd in the big12 and be a top 15 team.  I was only responding to him.

Nobody realistically expects all three of those guys to be impact players, whatever Rothstein's definition of that is.

9 hours ago, Jhawk said:

lmao, you're either trolling really badly or BO just nailed the assessment. i made a comment which everyone else understood- i was simply saying that we aren't going to have three impact freshmen; my comment wasn't even about prognosticating our w/l record, although you should have been able to infer from my comment that i'm actually *not* super high on texas and am doing the opposite of hyping them up-  and now you're going to great lengths to convince yourself and everyone else that i've predicted a top 15 finish for Texas. well done.

Edited by Goo Punch

On 8/13/2018 at 2:30 PM, Jhawk said:

Meh, if I was a Texas fan I'd be pretty excited about Matt Coleman.  Freshman point guards tend to struggle but they tend to have lots of room for improvement.  As a point of (KU) comparison, he had a better freshman season than Aaron Miles did.  Sims is gonna be a good player, Roach is a nice piece. If Andrew Jones is 80% of his pre-lukiemia self, that's an all Big 12 player. They aren't starting with nothing here...I'd expect them to be at least as good as they were last year and that's in a relatively weaker conference.  

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Significant Big 12 news. Baylor lost Lecomte, Acuil, Omot and Matson. Now Lindsey. 

They aren't a tournament team and I bet the 9th or 10th place team in the Big 12. 

you can't possibly know where baylor will finish. they lost so many players that we don't know what the new ones will look like. they could win the league. it's impossible to say otherwise.

28 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

you can't possibly know where baylor will finish. they lost so many players that we don't know what the new ones will look like. they could win the league. it's impossible to say otherwise.

Again, totally taking out of context what I was saying. But that's normal for you. 

So much for your "I don't start arguments" and "I'm not combative" narrative just two days ago. 

Edited by texasstrong12

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Again, totally taking out of context what I was saying. But that's normal for you. 

So much for your "I don't start arguments" narrative just two days ago. 

yeah well i changed my mind on that. if you can't beat em, join em. 

also, it's the exact same context as when you said it, so you're wrong. again.

Edited by Goo Punch

32 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

also, it's the exact same context as when you said it, so you're wrong. again.

I question your reading comprehension. 

My argument that year had to do with highly rated FR. The argument was that it was tough to project where Texas would finish until we saw how good or bad the highly ranked FR were. 

The Texas '16 class had Allen #17 composite player and Jones #29 composite player. Banks was also the #63 composite player. The Baylor '18 class doesn't have a single commit ranked in the composite top 90. Which normally suggests they aren't instant impact type recruits. With the roster turnover Baylor is likely going to be reliant on the 5 signees who weren't highly ranked. 

I've just now realized that your complete misunderstanding of my argument is likely similar to the "mantra"/"catch phrase" argument in the other thread because you are so lost with recruiting. 

Edited by texasstrong12

none of this has anything to don with me not feverishly following the every move of young boys the way you do. i understood your completely asinine take just fine. you swore up and down that it was impossible to prognosticate the fortunes of a team which ended up having the worst season in modern ut basketball history, simply because everyone was new and we had no idea how good they would be......except that anyone with a clue did know what the team would look like. exactly like this year's baylor team. there is no difference here.

Edited by Goo Punch

also, you *definitely* can't blame that on me not following recruiting, as it was precisely because i was the only one who'd followed jarrett allen enough to know what garbage he was going to be at Texas that let me know what type of player he'd be. i watched all of his videos, i started a thread about him that nobody else wanted to participate in, and then i went and saw him in person and correctly surmised that he was not going to be this "no.1 center in the country" badass that so many were expecting. 

but of course that's the theme- no criticism at all. since what i was saying about allen wasn't pure, unadulterated sunshine nobody wanted to hear it, until mid-late december by which time everyone was shitting all over him. weird how that happens when you're completely incapable of having any sort of objectivity towards your own team. just reject everything that's negative or critical and then find yourself stunned that the team isn't what you thought it would be.

Edited by Goo Punch

The undeniable truth where you tried to argue Danny Newsome should start over Jarrett Allen. Yes, the walk-on that played a grand total of 40 minutes in 4 years was more ready to start than a first round pick. You are so bad at this. Great evaluation. 

giphy.gif

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/157832-Texas-Basketball-Recruiting-Notes-Shaka-Edition/page22

"In fact, and I know that I'm about to say won't be taken seriously, I could make a case that Danny Newsome is more ready to start than Allen. First, Newsome might be the best 3-point shooter on the team. He's up there with Davis and Young, no question about it. Second, he's fully grown, he's bigger and stronger than Allen, he's had a year in Shaka's system already, and he is actually more ready to be a stretch 4 than Allen as of today, whether you want to believe that or not. And while I know that Allen isn't a stretch 4, he's damn sure not a low-post player either. Not yet."

• Like 1