Big 12 Happenings

texasstrong12

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

At least 15 of the top 20 scorers from the Big 12 are now gone. 

This is why we have a great chance to significantly improve in conference next year.  The Big 12 loses a ton of playmakers and leaders.

Tariq Owens grad transfers to Tech by way of St. John's.

KSU picks up JUCO Austin Trice.

Tavarius Shine is not returning for Oklahoma State. Neither is the big guy, Sima.

Miles Reynolds grad transfers to OU from Pacific.

Esa Ahmad declared for the draft but didn't hire an agent. Same for Wigginton from Iowa State.

Edited by Machinator

NBA scouts really love raw athleticism. I think Wigginton is going to be a better player than Zhaire Smith before their careers are done.

This process is always odd. A guy like Zhaire Smith getting all types of NBA hype while Wigginton is getting none.......is weird to me. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Guest Camel
16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

NBA scouts really love raw athleticism. I think Wigginton is going to be a better player than Zhaire Smith before their careers are done.

This process is always odd. A guy like Zhaire Smith getting all types of NBA hype while Wigginton is getting none.......is weird to me. 

It is completely weird and arbitrary. Also, why is Brodzinksy from TCU getting no love whatsoever from draft projections? Dude handed us our ass when we played them in Ft Worth. It's all a lot of BS and Roach should just come back and be a Longhorn for another year.

Probably has something to do with the fact that one guy is 6'5" while the other guy is 6'1".

With his injuries, inability to guard a big outside the paint, free throw troubles and overall limited offensive game; i'd be shocked if he declares and signs an agent....but it almost doesn't matter. Front court will be much improved and deeper with or without him.

Edited by qwertyu1234

1 hour ago, usmc0331horn said:

KU's banquet is tonight and Doke is still undecided. I wonder if he announces he's coming back tonight or if he's still gonna test. When is the deadline to declare?

My reading of the tea leaves is that he’s waiting for some team to show interest in him, then he’d pull the trigger. The problem is he can’t really guard or rebound. He obviously can’t shoot.

His one elite skill is jamming lobs on undersized front lines, which don’t exist in the NBA.

He is not Joel Embiid that is for sure.  He is basically just a lane clog.  We've seen Doke be ineffective, but if they widen the college lane and move the foul arc and make a defensive 3 second rule then he will be extinct in college as well as the NBA.  The dude just doesn't do anything that a 3, 4, or 5 in the NBA can't do.  He can shoot from 4 feet and in, can't rebound well against even smaller bigs, can't shoot, can't run the floor, can't hit FTs.  He does nothing well except dunk and baby hook over shorter guys.  

Hard to believe he has a long NBA career (greater than 3-4 years) unless he gets away from the basket a little.  I would expect he gets evaluated and finds that he is 1-2 years away based on showing progress over the next 12 months.  The guy isn't even a project right now.  He's just a huge dude that can't do shit but stand in the lane.

I'm going to guess De Sousa is done at Kansas after this FBI investigation. 

Fairly obvious based on the indictment that De Sousa was paid by Adidas to attend Kansas. De Sousa was a huge Maryland lean and then just miraculously picked Kansas. Certainly seems like Kansas (Adidas) outbid Maryland (UA) for De Sousa. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Why would you assume De Sousa is done?  something like 50 other players were caught taking money (on the balance sheets) and not one school has forfeited a game because of it and not one athlete (wendell carter was cleared in 24 hours) has been declared ineligible.  KJ and Dedric are not going to transfer again. I don't even think Dedric would even have eligibility after he sat out another year.  He's a red shirt junior starting next year I believe.

This FBI shit is very serious but it is insane the amount of logic that has been thrown out the window.  As mentioned, KU & coaches are EXPLICITLY listed as victims in the suit. Further, the NCAA is named a victim in the same sentence as KU. Is ku in some way dirty/tied to this?  Some how, some way, most likely.  Does this new filing mean shit for KU?  Not at all.  The FBI has no problem at all calling out coaches and schools that are complicit in this scheme.  I highly doubt they would spare kansas when that would be a massive skin to put on the wall.  If the FBI isn't coming after KU or a KU coach right now then the least of my worries is the NCAA.

KU has also decided to continue with their Adidas contract signing (last I heard) which probably means we are real comfortable with our positioning in the probe.

That all being said, I take 2 things from this story...

1. KU has been named a victim, better to be named a victim now than to be wondering if you are the next man up for indictment.

2. KU is named.  We will always be associated with this and we could very quickly go from being a victim to being implicated if one of the key defendants decides to go scorched earth.

I don't know if I'm as worried as I was but I am still a little worried.  At least we came out of the gate with decent news, all things considered.

Edited by Jhawk

14 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

KJ and Dedric are not going to transfer again. I don't even think Dedric would even have eligibility after he sat out another year.  He's a red shirt junior starting next year I believe.

I have no clue what the Lawson brothers are going to do but trying to apply logic to that entire family is nonsensical. That entire family is crazy and there's no telling what they will do. 

Read more about the tweet.  Apparently the radio guy threw out a scenario that had like 3-5 variables all going against KU and the dad said something to the effect of "if we had to transfer again we would look at memphis."

Zhaire Smith just made a Gordon Heyward level leap in only 1 season. Went from basically an unrated 3star recruit to a 1st rounder. Hayward was 6'7" 180 lb wing with 3 offers (Butler, IUPUI, & Purdue) and became the 9th pick only 2yrs later.
Smith was smart to leave because he's just the sort of player who can get exposed with more scouting and suddenly go from a surefire 1st rounder to undrafted in a couple of seasons. UNC seems to specialize in preventing these type of guys from entering the draft. While schools with less of a bball profile lose them the moment they get any sort of noteriety.

On 3/29/2018 at 4:05 PM, bularry said:

outside of Kansas, entire conference looks down a bit next year.  as that right or just me?

As already said, KSU and ISU return everyone and by principal should be at least the same or better.  I think tcu should also be one of the better teams

WVU will always get the guys they need to finish the regular season and get a seed 3-6 range even though they'll probably lose in the first or second round.

Ok st., ou, baylor all have work to do. I think people will be surprised at Tech's fall off considering Beard won't have all of these inherited players any longer.

Texas, despite losing all the talent they should, will probably be picked preseason 4 in the conference by the coaches, based off their name, and will probably finish 5th-7th place, just because of the Shaka factor.  Hard to find another coach in the conference that does less with more.  Just my honest opinion

Edited by X-Wing @Aliciousness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Zhaire Smith just made a Gordon Heyward level leap in only 1 season. Went from basically an unrated 3star recruit to a 1st rounder. Hayward was 6'7" 180 lb wing with 3 offers (Butler, IUPUI, & Purdue) and became the 9th pick only 2yrs later.
Smith was smart to leave because he's just the sort of player who can get exposed with more scouting and suddenly go from a surefire 1st rounder to undrafted in a couple of seasons. UNC seems to specialize in preventing these type of guys from entering the draft. While schools with less of a bball profile lose them the moment they get any sort of noteriety.

It has been rumored for a long time that Roy negatively recruits his own guys in some way.  Even when he was at KU we wondered how he got guys to stay and it has been rumored that he guilt trips the shit out of them and then if they aren't lottery he tells them that they aren't guaranteed anything and are probably being lied to by NBA scouts/GMs.  It is crazy that he has guys stay for 3-4 years and if you watch his press conferences with a cynical eye then you can see he makes everything about him for the most part.  I wouldn't doubt that he guilt trips kids like crazy.  

*please note that i have nothing against Roy.  His move worked out the best for both schools and we dominate them every time we play him so I don't really have a bone to pick with him.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Says a guy who supposedly rooted for TJ Ford, DJ Augustin, and AJ Abrams.

I never said being undersized precludes anyone from being a great player. My point is it's a serious drawback that in order to make up for you have to be seriously great in other aspects of the game. TJ was obviously seriously great as a passer, floor-general, and timely scorer. Augustin had elite quickness and a pretty complete package as a PG. Abrams was a seriously great weapon from 3-pt range. Abrams, for example, had 118 made 3's on the season his junior year at Texas. Calixte put up 55 made 3's this year for Maine in his junior campaign.

You can be undersized and make up for it in other ways. The Longhorns you mention are great examples, as are Iverson, Baron Davis, etc.. But among the myriad of high school level ball players who are undersized, it is very rare indeed to find ones that have enough other skills to make up for it and get to near NBA skill levels. Lack of height is in general a big obstacle to overcome. Looking at Calixte's stats, I don't necessarily see anything jumping off the page to tell me he is one of these special type guys.

Edited by Cameltoe

On 4/4/2018 at 6:26 PM, txhorns said:

This is why we have a great chance to significantly improve in conference next year.  The Big 12 loses a ton of playmakers and leaders.

This season was hugely influenced by the emergence of Freshman playmakers.

Who's to say that suddenly changes?

I've never seen Calixte play, so I could be wrong. He's listed at 187 lbs, which if none of that is fat, makes him a well-built athlete in the mold of Augustin, Baron Davis, Jameer Nelson, Kyrie Irving. But all other things being equal it's a pretty low chance he's anywhere near as good as those guys. He played in a bullshit low-major league and put up good, but not great numbers this year.

I've never seen Calixte play, so I could be wrong. He's listed at 187 lbs, which if none of that is fat, makes him a well-built athlete in the mold of Augustin, Baron Davis, Jameer Nelson, Kyrie Irving. But all other things being equal it's a pretty low chance he's anywhere near as good as those guys. He played in a bullshit low-major league and put up good, but not great numbers this year.
I saw him against Tech in the LBK, but I don't remember much of him. I assume he'll be a walk-on and practice player and used that to get him into a great graduate school. I don't know that he's a Big 12 level player

And even walk-ons pull some pretty decent tail. So there's that

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, slorch said:

This season was hugely influenced by the emergence of Freshman playmakers.

Who's to say that suddenly changes?

This season was determined by senior leaders.  Graham and Mykhailuk at Kansas.  Carter at WVU.  Evans at Tech. Brodziansky and Williams at TCU.  Aquil at Baylor.  The only freshmen who were the leaders of their team were Trae Young, Bamba and Wiggington, all of whom played for bottom 4 teams in the conference.

No ideal what to expect from Baylor next season.  Adding the PG from Yale and Kegler will be eligible.  Kegler helps immensely because we know he will be our primary scoring option and should be the best skilled player we've had in a couple of seasons.  just don't know if we have the backcourt depth and shooting needed to be a really good team.

Gerald Green has/had that same type of athleticism and he still found himself sitting on the couch in January when the Rockets signed him. Hopefully for Zhaire's sake he works ridiculously hard on his game. Being drafted in the 1st round will buy him 2 maybe 3 years of patience, but he needs worlds of improvement on his game to be an everyday NBA Player.

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lol that you think Calixte is anywhere near as talented as those 3. 

Yeah that’s what I said. Camel insinuated that short guards can’t play, so I listed three great ones from the program he supposedly roots for. But great stuff when it comes to me, as usual.

14 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Yeah that’s what I said. Camel insinuated that short guards can’t play, so I listed three great ones from the program he supposedly roots for. But great stuff when it comes to me, as usual.

Thanks for the novel you wrote me in private message. I needed a good laugh this morning. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Gerald Green has/had that same type of athleticism and he still found himself sitting on the couch in January when the Rockets signed him. Hopefully for Zhaire's sake he works ridiculously hard on his game. Being drafted in the 1st round will buy him 2 maybe 3 years of patience, but he needs worlds of improvement on his game to be an everyday NBA Player.

Smith is still going to get paid if he's a first round pick. Even if Smith is a bust, it's probably the right move. 

I think Smith is the type that should absolutely go pro because his development could go either way. Max out on your raw athleticism while you can. 

Smith is still going to get paid if he's a first round pick. Even if Smith is a bust, it's probably the right move. 
I think Smith is the type that should absolutely go pro because his development could go either way. Max out on your raw athleticism while you can. 
No doubt, but it's telling how little athleticism alone can get you. Although there must be more to the story wth Gerald Green. He's essentially JR Smith as far as his style of play and yet he still can't stick with a long-term deal.