Game 4: The Citadel at Texas, 7 PM, LHN

Machinator

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Tevin Mack (although he's shooting like shit right now) and a healthy Andrew Jones makes this roster much more sustainable wrt shooting.  Right now Roach is doing way too much in terms of shooting off the dribble.  

This is ultimately why I believe Shaka will get another year barring a catastrophe on par with year 2.

8 minutes ago, SDG said:

Sorry, I thought you were being one of us “typical Texas fans” who shit on the present in hopes of the future.  I mean DO is the top performer so far.  

DO does have the points but at 6'9 he should in this game with all the putbacks he should get from our guards.  Throwing the ball straight out of bounds was stupid though. I just want to see someone on the floor that can make a shot from more than 2 inches away from the rim.  

I don't think Shaka and crew do a very good job of evaluating guard play.  For the system he wants to run the PGs/Gs need to be multifaceted, more in the Long/Ramey mold rather than the Jacob Young/Febres or Coleman mold. Young and Febrese are basically standstill shooters and Coleman will never be nothing more than a below average shooter while he's year.  Jones is obviously a take on every day that ends in Y, but you seriously can't take guards who aren't adequately skilled in every aspect of offensive basketball unless you have a roster littered with those who are.  Especially not in this read and react style he loves so much.  Think of all the teams who run this open floor, 4 man out offense. KU ran it last year (despite Self preference of a high low/2 post offense),  Michigan runs it,  Villanova, Gonzaga etc. Their guards don't necessarily have to be elite athletes,  but they damn sure have to be skilled in every aspect of offensive basketball.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn