Sign in to follow this  
APMP

Surly Cricket Thread

Posted (edited)

Well, nothing going on in the greatest game until mid June at the earliest.  Might as well relive some history.

I'll start with a video on the West Indies teams from their glory days.  These were my all time favorites.

I watched this entire WC Tournament from a roadside Indian restaurant outside my condo in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.  Me and the Indian fellows were in pure awe of Ponting's performance in the finals.

Carlos Brathwaite, remember the name!!!

Ball of the century:

I'm purposely leaving England out of this post because they are pure cunts.  So let's go with some South Africa heartbreak.  Lord knows there is plenty to choose from.

Sri Lanka hey day

New Zealand has never won fuck all, but a great finish here...

Ahhhh... let's give the Saffers a little love.  CSB, friend of mine from South Africa has a wife that worked in the hotel that the SA team stayed in night before.  She swears Gibbs was still in the bar pounding drinks at 3:00 in the morning the day of this match.

And finally, some of the absolute best test cricket ever played.  This single innings by Laxman and Dravid made teams scared as hell to enforce a follow-on.  Also note, that Australia team was freaking stacked.

What have you?

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Eeeeeexcellent.

And it's a tour of England, won't really be able to tell the difference with people not in the stands, given how quiet British summer crowds often are.

I watched the AUS / NZ ODI right before the Rona shut everything down with no fans in attendance.  I didn’t mind it at all, but it was pretty funny watching the players search the stands for the ball when someone hit a six.

After a four month delay, international cricket resumes today with the first WI vs England test.  Of course being played in England it means the toss is delayed due to rain.  Fuck England, what a shitty country.

They got in a whopping 17.4 overs of play.  After a three hour delay of the start, they played about 10 minutes then 15 minute delay.  Played another 15 minutes another delay.  I gave up after that.

I hope the test winds up a draw due to rain and England misses the Test World Cup finals because of those points.  They are not likely to make it any way since Aus, India and NZ are likely to finish ahead of them; but England seems to lead a charmed life and the ECB stacks the deck in their favor them at every chance.

Nice session by the Windies this morning as they take four wickets before the lunch break.

At lunch on day two England is 106/5 with Stokes and Buttler batting.

Lunch on day three and Windies are 159/3 and trail by 45 runs.  Holder took six wickets and Gabriel grabbed the other four in England’s first innings.  

In those same innings, Windies challenged six umpire decisions and FIVE were overturned.  The umpiring has been just shit so far in favor of the Poms, but what else is new?

Stumps at day three and Windies lead by 99 runs.  I was hoping Windies could have broken up the opening partnership in England's first ten overs of the second innings but they couldn't quite pull it off.  England batsmen had some pretty good leaves that just barely missed the stumps.

Hell of a first innings with the gloves and in the crease for Shane Dowrich.  Holder and Gabriel deserve the credit for keeping England in check, but Dowrich was also a key contributor for the Windies' having this lead.

Sweatergawd I could listen to Michael Holding do commentary for two weeks straight with no sleep and enjoy every damn second.  Best in the biz by far.

Man would love to see some Windies fire in the bowling after lunch so they can set up a victory.

Windies pull off the win after a brilliant 95 from Blackwood.  Shannon Gabriel is MOTM.

Absolutely wonderful test match with a perfect result.

test match with a result.

All you need are those five glorious words.

With Root back, Denly gets dropped from the England side.  Yeah, no big shock there.

I would love to see the Windies smash Crawley's wicket for something like 2 - 5 to put some trepidation in his mind.  He was cocky AF after his "amazing" 76.

F England.  Go Windies!!!!!

"When I run up to the crease, that batsman, he wasn't a human... he was a target." - Michael Holding "The Whispering Death"

Posted (edited)

Welp, since the victory in the first test match the Windies have been thoroughly shit stomped. Bowling has been shit, batting is shit, fielding is shit. Other than that I guess it’s been ok. Looks like the team that won the toss is going to lose all three tests. 

My man Cornwall got to play the third test so that’s cool. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Today was the fourth day of the second PAK / ENG test.  We have completed a whopping 96 overs in four days. 

Fuck England’s weather. 

Caribbean Premiere League started up today.  It’s definitely a different experience without their maniacal fans in the stadium.  The St Kitts & Nevis v Barbados match is turning out to be a pretty good one.

End of an era with Dhoni retiring from international cricket. What a legend.

Dream 11 IPL 2020 starts next Saturday.  It looks like the Willow app will be streaming it and since they are playing in UAE all the matches start around 9:00 Houston time instead of the God awful hours they normally start.

I'm pulling for the Delhi Capitals.  No idea why, other than last year they seemed to have a lot of young talent that was starting to come on.  Tired of the same old CSK and MI every fucking year.

But overall, as long as the cheat ass bastards from Chennai don't win it (and they look to probably finish near the bottom of the table); I really don't care.  Mainly I just want to see who from the young group of unknowns might start to rise up.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Anyone else watching this CPL semi-final between Guyana and St Lucia?  Guyana all out for 55 runs, they had five PARTNERSHIPS go for 0.  Zouk fielders were totally selling out for every ball and my main man Raheem Cornwall made a nice diving catch for the last wicket.

Hell of an ODI yesterday in the final match of the series between ENG and AUS.  Starc took wickets in the first two balls of the match but ENG behind a Bairstow century and some absolute shit death bowling by AUS bounce back to put up 302.

AUS looked like they were mailing it in when Labuschagne got run out to make it 5/75 especially with the woes of AUS middle order. 

Carey sitting on 9 gets caught at third man by Rashid on an absolutely stupid shot for the sixth wicket but wait, Archer was over the line for a NB so Carey survived. He goes on to put up a century and Maxwell does too with some absolute moonshots put in for good measure. 

Going into the last over AUS need 10 to win with Starc on strike and Cummins at the other end. In what has to be one of the most stupid decisions in captaincy history, Morgan brings in Rashid to bowl the last over even though both T Curran and Wood are available. 

Starc promptly knocks the first ball for six then clinches the win with a four.  AUS take the series 2-1 and give ENG their first ODI home series loss in five years.

ENG are lucky to avoid the white wash as AUS dominated Game 2 until their middle order went something stupid like 6/5 over a 7 over stretch. In all AUS probably outplayed ENG for the entire tour ever so slightly and they aren’t that great compared to some of their past teams. 

Apparently to watch the IPL on Willow you have to have a TV Everywhere subscription, whatever that is.  I caught the MI vs CSK match on a pirate website and the quality of play was atrocious.  I get it, these guys haven't played cricket in a long while but it looked like over half the players did nothing but sit on their asses and eat during the lockdown.  Bunch of fatties out there giving very little effort and fielding in particular was complete shit.

Maybe the quality will pick up when they start to knock off the rust or there is a match between two teams that half the players don't belong in an old folks home.

Well today's match was much better despite more rubbish fielding.  KXIP needed just one off the last three balls and couldn't get it done losing wickets on each of the last two balls.

Rabada takes two wickets in the super over and DC wins it needing only three runs to cross the line.