Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

35 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So much for the vaunted bowling attack.  This is a right kicking.

Especially disappointed in Chahal. Given up 10 boundaries thus far and put down a catch.

Hardik also had an unforgiveable fielding error where he tipped the ball over the boundary for six runs. Why is he in the playing XI if he's not bowling and he always loses his wicket cheaply?

Rahul actually has done well behind the stumps, but might need him to do even more with the bat.

You were correct about chasing on this ground, the prospect is not looking too great. It's going to take a Herculean effort by the full-time batsmen and some timely Aussie fielding errors just to have a chance.

Edited by UDontKnow

I got much love for Iyer since he’s captain of my Delhi Capitals, but that “shot” he got out on yesterday was one of the worst displays I have ever seen.  He had a pretty good ODI run in NZ back in Feb so hopefully he can get it together. Problem is he really struggles against short pace and that’s something AUS have in abundance.

I did like the effort he showed on an attempted catch that came up just short.  It’s sad that an almost catch may have been the best effort in the fielding department.

16 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Australia win the toss and elect to bat.  Only change is Moises Henriques comes in for Stoinis.

Other news, India caught a 20% match fee fine for slow overs in the first match.  Not a surprise since it took four hours for them to bowl their 50 overs.

Insult to injury. The fine was just, hopefully India will knock off the rust.

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

India’s inability to take wickets with the new ball is shocking with bowlers like Shami and Bumrah opening the attack.  The only way you can beat AUS on their home soil is to get early wickets.  If their openers lay down a strong foundation, it’s over.

Another embarrassing ODI loss by at least 50 runs. Bowling attack is missing a healthy Bhuvneshwar. For next match, switch Kuldeep for Chahal and Shardul for Navdeep (Navdeep has given nothing). Maybe next match India gets to bat first?

India are missing a good left hand bat in the middle order.  He’s not on the squad, but Ishan Kishan could fill that role in the next series.

I would like to see Natarajan take Saini’s place if he’s available.  He’s not officially on the ODI team but he’s on the T20i squad.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Good effort against the AUS-A team last night.  Pandya and Jadeja with good knocks after another less than stellar effort from top of the order (152-5) on a pitch that looked like a road while I was watching; guess it gave something back to the bowlers later on.  Either that or both sides were crap with the bat the rest of the way.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

On 11/29/2020 at 4:38 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

India are missing a good left hand bat in the middle order.  He’s not on the squad, but Ishan Kishan could fill that role in the next series.

I would like to see Natarajan take Saini’s place if he’s available.  He’s not officially on the ODI team but he’s on the T20i squad.

Miss the days of Yuvraj and Raina. You got your wish with Natarajan getting his ODI debut although he got knocked around pretty well.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:53 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Warner out for the rest of the white ball matches with a strained groin and Cummins will be rested for the same matches leading up to the tests.  D'Arcy Short added to AUS roster to take Warner's slot, but I think Matthew Wade will be the opener with Finch.

Warner's absence might very well be the reason India didn't get whitewashed.

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Good effort against the AUS-A team last night.  Pandya and Jadeja with good knocks after another less than stellar effort from top of the order (152-5) on a pitch that looked like a road while I was watching; guess it gave something back to the bowlers later on.  Either that or both sides were crap with the bat the rest of the way.

Pandya has shut me up with his clinical batting performances - always felt that he was more interested in slogging, but he showed good discipline with the bat this series. Jadeja is still India's best all rounder, but India should really have other all rounders who can compete at the international level. Was very surprised India could pull off the win when they were 152-5, but then again there was no Warner (I suppose the same could be said for India missing Rohit).

After a complete shit performance in the first two ODIs and being dropped for the third, Chahal dragged his nuts all over the Aussies in the first T20i.  His three wickets at an economy of 6.25 won him Man of the Match. 

I know the guy catches all sorts of hell and deservedly so a lot of the time, but I like the dude except when he's bowling pies.

Looks like AUS will have a tough time finding enough non-injured players to fill out their side.  They have been dropping like flies.
Things set up well for India at least in the first test.
Here's hoping this isn't a recipe for complacency and a brutal loss

On 12/13/2020 at 10:11 PM, APMP said:
On 12/13/2020 at 5:15 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:
Looks like AUS will have a tough time finding enough non-injured players to fill out their side.  They have been dropping like flies.
Things set up well for India at least in the first test.

Here's hoping this isn't a recipe for complacency and a brutal loss

Warner is out for at least the first test.  They had high hopes for a young’un named  Puckovski who suffered his [b]9th[/b] concussion - may want to work on his technique against bouncers - and another newb named Cameron Green who is also unfit. They are honest to God considering playing both Harris and Burns.  I heard Burns is in terrific touch scoring a whopping 60 runs in his last 8 matches.

But wait, there’s more.  Apparently Steve Smith left their training session early today with some sort of niggle.  If he’s out, India win by an innings.

Kohli finally won a toss and has decided to bat.  Saha at WK instead of Pant, other than that probably the lineup everyone expected.

Burns and Wade will be the AUS openers when they bat.  Smith is playing but no idea how stiff his back may be.

Cameron Green hot shot all-rounder on debut for AUS, received his baggy green from Pat Cummins.

16 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Kohli finally won a toss and has decided to bat.  Saha at WK instead of Pant, other than that probably the lineup everyone expected.

Burns and Wade will be the AUS openers when they bat.  Smith is playing but no idea how stiff his back may be.

Cameron Green hot shot all-rounder on debut for AUS, received his baggy green from Pat Cummins.

Everyone should like Saha over Pant behind the stumps in Test format.

15 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Shaw continues his shit form from IPL.  Starc bowls his pudgey ass second fucking ball of the test.

Should have opened with Gill and Agrawal. 

Also, Rahane's mind went blank at the most inopportune time. IMHO, India need to get to 400 in this first innings because I am not trusting the bowling attack even against a depleted Australian side.

Disagree about Saha over Pant.  Saha is way better with the gloves, but with India's bowling attack featuring high propensity of seamers, how many stumping opportunities are you looking at?  Yes, there's more to it than that but I think Pant's pop with the bat more than overcomes his limited keeping skills.

Overall India are not in a bad spot, not great either but it could have been a lot worse than it wound up.  At least one of my Delhi Capitals in Ashwin came out with some intent.  He was smacking the ball around with no fear under some high-pressure batting conditions.  Rahane was looking like he was about to get going when he brain farted on the Kohli runout and you figured it was just a matter of time before he would throw his wicket away after that.  As mentioned earlier, Shaw will Shaw.  He needs to be dropped from the test team - full stop.

Does anyone have any appetite to stick with Shaw for one more test?  Four runs in two innings and shit fielding is not a good look.

If he gets dropped I assume Gill takes his spot.  But maybe they hold off knowing Rohit is going to be one of the openers for the third test.  KLR probably slides into Kohli’s spot next test, right or stick with Shaw and let Gill take Kohli’s spot?  Will be interesting.  Personally I like KLR replacing Kohli.

L.M.F.A.O.
I could have gotten these guys out with my spin bowling that doesn't spin. This was quite simply the worst performance in the history of Indian cricket, and there needs to be major fallout. Major. Shami's injury means you kiss the test championship goodbye

8 minutes ago, APMP said:
1 hour ago, APMP said:
L.M.F.A.O.

I could have gotten these guys out with my spin bowling that doesn't spin. This was quite simply the worst performance in the history of Indian cricket, and there needs to be major fallout. Major. Shami's injury means you kiss the test championship goodbye

Sometimes you get one of those days where everything seems to catch an edge, and every edge seems to carry. Once-in-a-blue-moon type of disaster.

10 minutes ago, APMP said:

Prithvi Shaw unfairly criticised, clearly. One of the highest scores in the innings. What an opening stand.

Shaw needs to put his fucking foot down. And I mean that literally, he doesn't plant his front foot because he's so used to playing off the back foot. It's been an ongoing problem.

xcalj2y0by561.jpg