Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

15 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’m glad Willow isn’t covering this else I would be tempted to stay up to all hours of the morning watching this travesty.  India can only hope for a draw at this point.

And Rohit isn't helping the case for a draw, goddammit. Need like 10 Pujaras batting for India.

26 minutes ago, satyanash said:

England's bowlers got so much more out of the pitch than ours. It's frankly embarrassing.

England used a heavy roller before the start of the day to accelerate pitch deterioration. Really great tactic. (Found it kinda interesting In the Pakistan-SA test, Pak didn't use heavy roller yesterday because they didnt have enough runs on the board to confidently defend.)

With all that said, I think the pitch is to take a lot of blame - the pitch simply gave too much advantage to the toss winner. Day 4 and day 5 will get even better for the spinners.

Its hard to see anything but an English win here. If India force a draw, that would mean they continue with the grit they showed off in Oz. But I dont see that happening with the current XI. Would be happy to eat crow here.

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

England's bowlers got so much more out of the pitch than ours. It's frankly embarrassing.

Also spare a thought for Pant, this was his fifth 90+ score he's failed to convert.

Still better than most higher than him in the batting order.

11 hours ago, remoh said:

England used a heavy roller before the start of the day to accelerate pitch deterioration. Really great tactic. (Found it kinda interesting In the Pakistan-SA test, Pak didn't use heavy roller yesterday because they didnt have enough runs on the board to confidently defend.)

With all that said, I think the pitch is to take a lot of blame - the pitch simply gave too much advantage to the toss winner. Day 4 and day 5 will get even better for the spinners.

Its hard to see anything but an English win here. If India force a draw, that would mean they continue with the grit they showed off in Oz. But I dont see that happening with the current XI. Would be happy to eat crow here.

Well shit. Can't do anything with that if you don't win the toss. India is going to be down 200+ runs at the rate they are currently. And what a terrible innings for Nadeem, 6 no balls bowled and out for a duck. Wasn't he supposed to be good with the bat?

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

And what a terrible innings for Nadeem, 6 no balls bowled and out for a duck. Wasn't he supposed to be good with the bat?

Apparently he has a FC hundred... somehow 😂

Regardless this is likely his last match so I feel for the guy. He got his chance with Axar Patel's injury and Kohli leaving out Kuldeep Yadav for reasons that are only known to him.

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Apparently he has a FC hundred... somehow 😂

Regardless this is likely his last match so I feel for the guy. He got his chance with Axar Patel's injury and Kohli leaving out Kuldeep Yadav for reasons that are only known to him.

Kohli is a terrible captain and his weaknesses were overshadowed for so long because Dhoni was behind the stumps.

Rohit should be captain for the limited overs formats and Rahane should be the Test captain. Rahane has never lost a Test when he has been calling the shots. Fat Ravi Shastri needs to quit stuffing his face full of chaat and laddus and actually intercede as coach.

Edited by UDontKnow

Goddammit. All out for 337. With some 68 overs remaining in the day, it looks likely that England will declare by day's end. Gonna need a herculanean effort by the bowlers to keep England at bay. And then will need the same from the batsmen tomorrow to not get bowled out to secure the draw. 

17 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Fat Ravi Shastri needs to quit stuffing his face full of chaat and laddus and actually intercede as coach.

Bring back Kumble as coach. Kohli will quit automatically.

No matter how good a player Kohli is, I cant get past him running out a coach. A good one too. 

If I can have my dream coach, it would be Rahul Dravid. He did amazing work with India A and U19s. 

But Kohli/Shastri team selection is almost always suspect. Not sure who to blame here... but it seems Shastri just lets the captain do whatever he wants. His maIn job is to do Press Conferences and speak Yoda. 

I see the fat tub of goo known as Rohit Sharma put in another brilliantl effort.  Combine that with Rahane’s complete inability to bat spin in Indian conditions and a tail end that won’t provide anything India start every test match at best 20/5.  That’s too much pressure to put on the rest of the team.

Better hope Kohli can start winning tosses else India won’t make it to the finals.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

India tries to go for the win and likely waits until tea to reassess the situation whether to play it safe for the draw.  A draw in this case would be taken as a loss for the English side who started out with all the momentum.

I am anywhere close to as optimistic as you. Absoutely zero chance for India to win.

Most likely England wraps up the win by tea.

India’s only chance for a draw is Pujara. He needs to survive until after Tea for a shot at the draw. 

And this is why people hate test matches. When the pitch does nothing for the first 3 days then deteriorates like crazy. 

India will have to play really well rest of the series to make WTC final. 

Kuldeep has to get a chance for the next match over Nadeem. Also, not sure about Washington - you have to bowl him more if you pick him. Otherwise, you are selecting him as a batsman.

23 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I see the fat tub of goo known as Rohit Sharma put in another brilliantl effort.  Combine that with Rahane’s complete inability to bat spin in Indian conditions and a tail end that won’t provide anything India start every test match at best 20/5.

I overestimated their production.  Rohit, Rahane and the 3x clods at the bottom went 11/5.  Absolute pathetic performance all around for India.

And Mr. Nadeem,

raw

4 hours ago, remoh said:

Also, not sure about Washington - you have to bowl him more if you pick him. Otherwise, you are selecting him as a batsman.

It's almost as if India's captain is a complete moron.  Washington would generate more bounce with the new ball in England's second innings than Nadeem's malnourished self.  Nadeem is useless.  Since Kohli doesn't seem to want to pick Kuldeep ever, then hopefully Axar Patel is fit for the next test.

Of course is Root continues his dominance in coin tosses will it matter?  I've always felt in a test series you have one toss for the first match then all other matches alternate who picks to field or bat.

Nah. Hardik is unlikely to be a better bat than Ajinkya or Rohit. You gotta stick with those two for the series no matter. Then cut then if they dont perform  - India has always been way too knee jerk and we cant do that - they need to be selected for a series or not selected.  Players cant perform when being cut on a game by game basis is always on their mind.   

More than batsman, The bigger problem is the 4th and 5th bowlers. You cant win a test match in India with just 3 bowlers - especially when 2 of em are seamers.

To be honest, 4th haaaaaas to be Kuldeep. He haaaaaas to be given a chance. A real chance. For the rest of the series. More below.

Would actually prefer Siraj or Thakur for 5th until Jadeja comes back. Those guys bring a lot more moxie/energy even though they are pacers. 

More on Kuldeep: What is Kohli’s problem with Kuldeep? Does anyone know? Nadeem wasnt even in the main list pf players for the first two tests. He was an alternate. He picked him over Kuldeep when Axar got injured.  WTF. Kuldeep should have been picked over Axar so why does that matter. 

I think Indian board gives way too much flexibility too Kohli. He should be forced to pick from the main list of players before going to alternates. Otherwise, whats the point of even selecting Kuldeep. Just keep him home. 

Edited by remoh

11 hours ago, remoh said:

Would actually prefer Siraj or Thakur for 5th until Jadeja comes back.

I certainly hope Thakur gets a game in the day/night test.  He was the only one on either side getting any type of swing in the Gabba test; he should get even more swing in night conditions.  That said, I'm scared to death what Jimmy Anderson is going to do in the same test.  We might see another 36 ao.

Jadeja not coming back this series per Cricbuzz.

I am putting my captain bat on.

Ashwin / Bumrah / Ishant / Kuldeep. Stick with these 4 for the next 3 tests unless one of em gets injured. 

5th: Pick from hat: Axar / Washington / Siraj / Thakur. Must be made to bowl at least 15 overs per 100.  

Batsman: Stick with current lineup for rest of series unless injury. Drop all who fail consistently at end of series.  If injury, Mayank is next up. 

Couple of updates I saw today mention England plan to rest Jimmy Anderson and Archer may be out due to illness and arm injury.  Not sure if the Archer news forces them to keep Anderson or not.  I guess they have a rested Stuart Broad that can be used in place of Anderson.

Buttler has returned to Pommie land and will be replaced by Ben Foakes who last played in a test 2 years ago.  Guess that means he will get a double century and take at least five catches along with a couple of stumpings.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Well that ain't no fun.  We need hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth.  Emotional outbursts laced with profanities should also be used in great quantities.

And I pick Siraj from your hat.  Dude is a flat out gamer.

Why not Sundar? He should have been asked to bowled more in the first Test, can use his spin in Chennai (pair him with Kuldeep for lefty and right spin combo), and you use his bat late in the order. No insult to Siraj.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Couple of updates I saw today mention England plan to rest Jimmy Anderson and Archer may be out due to illness and arm injury.  Not sure if the Archer news forces them to keep Anderson or not.  I guess they have a rested Stuart Broad that can be used in place of Anderson.

Buttler has returned to Pommie land and will be replaced by Ben Foakes who last played in a test 2 years ago.  Guess that means he will get a double century and take at least five catches along with a couple of stumpings.

Can the selectors add Yuvraj to the XI just to face Stuart Broad? Kidding.

Ben Foakes? What happened to Jonny Bairstow? Does he not keep wicket for England in Tests anymore?

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Why not Sundar? He should have been asked to bowled more in the first Test, can use his spin in Chennai (pair him with Kuldeep for lefty and right spin combo), and you use his bat late in the order. No insult to Siraj.

It's a tough choice for sure but going with 2.5 spinners (can't consider NBN a full player) didn't work out so well so why not go with three seamers for the hell of it?  England faired ok with three seamers (Anderson, Archer, Stokes).  Granted in Chennai it's all about winning the toss which is horseshit.  Lose the toss and it probably doesn't matter who you trot out there.

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Ben Foakes? What happened to Jonny Bairstow? Does he not keep wicket for England in Tests anymore

I believe Bairstow went back to England after their Sri Lanka series but is expected to rejoin the team for the third test.  I wonder if they have a back-up in case Bumrah busts a high hard one into Foakes' wrist?

Playing XI's:

IND -
Sharma
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Axar Patel
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Ishant
Siraj

Bumrah getting a rest, No Ball Nadeem's stupid ass got dropped, thankfully.

ENG -
Burns
Sibley
Lawrence
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Moeen Ali
Leach
Broad
Olly Stone

Anderson rested, Archer out with injury, Buttler went home.