Surly Cricket Thread

APMP

India wins with 13 balls remaining despite essentially losing an over thanks to Rahul.

Dhawan needs to permanently be replaced by Ishan. I know Ishan won't fire like this every T20 match, but India needs to start the youth movement at opener and it's great to keep a left handed bat. 

Maybe open the next match with Rohit and Ishan so they can blast away. This is T20, dot balls are more costly. I'm not sure why Axar got dropped this match, maybe India are just rotating some bowlers. If that's the case, I would like to see Natarajan get an opportunity next match. 

Kohli was essentially an opener and he had a solid night with the bat. He was able to anchor the innings while simultaneously farming the strike. Need more of this from him. 

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This series would be a good time to start looking for Chahal’s replacement. The malnourished doofus tries his best but has no variations or much talent for that matter. Bring in Ravi Bishnoi and see how he goes. 

His nickname is 'Thili'.

I can't seem to recall why India went away from Kuldeep Yadav. What happened to him?

Another duck for KLR.  The guy has all the talent in the world and does jack shit with it.

Have to drop KLR for the remaining T20 fixtures.

My desired lineup:

Rohit, Ishan, Kohli, Iyer, Pant, Suryakumar, Hardik, Sundar, Shardul, Bhuvneshwar, Chahal (if Axar is in the XI - then he takes Shardul's spot).

Why is Chahal even in the playing XI? He's guaranteed to give up double digit runs in an over and he can barely lift a bat. What a foolish move to play him in the power play ahead of Sundar especially when trying to defend such a low total.

Edited by UDontKnow

Kohli is a terrible terrible captain. His time has to be up now. Captaincy is hard. Lets give that responsibility to someone else. Rohit would be good.

He tinkers too much with the damn lineup and applies inconsistent policies for selection. Further, he rarely experiments with batting order changes based on the game situation. 

Also, what happened to his go hard lifestyle. He recovered well in last 5 overs but sucked ass for the middle 10. With 7 wickets in hand and batting 9 deep, go hard bro. You gonna lose if you dont anyway. F your average. 

Edited by remoh

Here is my lineup:

Rahul

Ishan

Pant

SKY

Iyer

Kohli - Morgan style captaincy. There for recovery in case the kids make a mess of it. Him and Rahul can swap every other game if he wants to not always be #6.  

Pandya

who gives a fuck

8 hours ago, remoh said:

Here is my lineup:

Rahul

Ishan

Pant

SKY

Iyer

Kohli - Morgan style captaincy. There for recovery in case the kids make a mess of it. Him and Rahul can swap every other game if he wants to not always be #6.  

Pandya

who gives a fuck

You meant open with Rohit, correct? Unless you still want to see KLR continue to shit the bed batting in this T20 (3 games is enough for me). I think Pant is more natural at 5. Send in Suryakumar at 3 and have Iyer at 4, that way there is a better chance for Iyer-Pant partnership. Kohli at 6 would be similar to MS Dhoni at 6 (or later in the lineup) - not a bad thing.

Depending on the situation, you may or may not send in Sundar ahead of Hardik whether there is still time to build a partnership. Otherwise slog away with Hardik.

15 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

You meant open with Rohit, correct? Unless you still want to see KLR continue to shit the bed batting in this T20 (3 games is enough for me). I think Pant is more natural at 5. Send in Suryakumar at 3 and have Iyer at 4, that way there is a better chance for Iyer-Pant partnership. Kohli at 6 would be similar to MS Dhoni at 6 (or later in the lineup) - not a bad thing.

Depending on the situation, you may or may not send in Sundar ahead of Hardik whether there is still time to build a partnership. Otherwise slog away with Hardik.

Yeah. Lol. Meant Rohit. Brain fart. 

I do believe in Rahul but he needs a break at the moment. He can be given a chance again in the future. 

Your lineup is probably more logical/ better. I just want to see Pant at #3 for a bit. He is my favorite player to watch right now and was just dreaming for some extended time for him. It he doesnt work at 3, back to 5. 

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

185/8...how many runs short are India? Needed 25 more with the dew setting in?

Its Just Wrong GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It doesn’t matter. With this bowling lineup full of trundlers England could chase 240 if needed. 

I love exciting lunchtime cricket. What a defense of 185!

And all because Chahal was dropped (although Sundar tried to do his best impression of).

It was the right move to play Chahar, he got wickets. It was timely for him to dismiss Stokes and Morgan in consecutive deliveries. If that doesn't happen, England wins comfortably.

Now this fifth T20 is for the marbles. Winning the series will be huge for India from a psychological standpoint. It will show that India, not at full strength, can be competitive against the T20 WC faves in England.

How the hell did India pull this one out?  I had something else to do and turned it off when England whittled it down to 50 and Stokes was taking over.

Rohit takes over the captaincy when Kohli goes to sit down with a quad niggle. The next two balls Shardul bowls removing Stokes and then Morgan. The tide turned for India after that particular sequence.

Can we get a website to fire kohli the captain?

rohit - whiteball captain

jinks - redball captain

India will win way more. 

oh fire kohli’s assistant too - shastri. And get a real coach back in - kumble. 

if someone can put kohli in his place it is ganguly. Thankfully he is now bcci prez. He is just waiting for kohli to lose a big series. Say if India dont win the wc t20. 

Jinks did a hell of a job in Australia, but I fear his time on the test side is limited.  I think you need to look for someone that has a few more years left in the tank to take over as test captain else you will be looking for another one in a couple of years max any way. 

I don't know how many years he has left, but my pick based on personality, calmness, attention to detail, etc. would be Mr. R. Ashwin.

Jinks did a hell of a job in Australia, but I fear his time on the test side is limited.  I think you need to look for someone that has a few more years left in the tank to take over as test captain else you will be looking for another one in a couple of years max any way. 

I don't know how many years he has left, but my pick based on personality, calmness, attention to detail, etc. would be Mr. R. Ashwin.

I am okay with 2 years with Captaincy stint. I am not a huge fan on long tenures. Complacency sets in. 

Ashwin would waste all DRS in one over. But besides that he would probably make a pretty cerebral captain. 

Jadeja is another one only if that guarantees his place on the test team. Not sure why India keep dropping him. 

That’s about the options. 

Ok. Game almost over.

that catch of surya kumar yadav (sky) by jason roy. Well, yeah jason roy. Lol. Wow. 

gotta feel a bit for sky.  Out both his first times on spectacular catches. This guy is good. Really really good. i dont really watch ipl, but wow. 

how the hell did India not select him until he is past 30. Better just keep select him for ODI. Make room for him. kohli can seat if he cant figure it out. (Kohli ended poorly I thought, could’ve gotten 240).  

This might be Dhawan's last stand to stay in any of the national squads.

Ishan Kishan must still be injured. 

I'm intrigued by the inclusion of Shubman Gill. Although it is probably best to go with Suryakumar as he has the hot hand.

Is Rahul included so there is a backup wicketkeeper? Or is he magically going to bat well in Pune?

A reunion for Chahal and Kuldeep, but will they be able to generate spin and grab wickets?

Happy to see Sundar in the fold, but don't know if he will get his chances. T Natarajan fills in for Jasprit, but Bhuvneshwar will be the death bowler.

Not sure why Krunal Pandya? What does his inclusion bring to the squad?

Will Siraj and Prasidh get games because Shardul will get time.

Guessing the first ODI will go something line this: Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Shreyas, Pant, Hardik, Sundar, Natarajan, Bhuvneshwar, Kuldeep, Chahal

Time to move on from Dhawan,he will be pretty damn old by the time the next ODI World Cup rolls around and the youngsters have proven they are ready.

KLR is probably the backup WK, but Ishan Kishan can fill that role as well.  KLR is better with the gloves from what I understand. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Kishan keep wicket since that’s Quentin de Kock’s job with Mumbai.

I have to admit I was a little concerned with opening with Brohit and Kohli, but it worked out great.  Kohli really stood up today and thankfully had the sense to go sit down during England’s innings.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/jofra-archer-to-miss-india-odis-and-start-of-ipl-season-ecb-confirms-1256002

Okay, maybe Archer is out for good this time. 

Why did Joe Root not make the English ODI squad? Isn't he a top 10 ODI batsman? 

Guess no room for Chris Woakes either?

Where will Ben Stokes bat along the order this time? He seems to be more effective in the top order. Personally, I would go Buttler and Stokes to open followed by Roy and then Bairstow.

I believe Root isn't playing this series since it's "only" a 3-game series and all the quarantine BS isn't worth it.  Not sure about Woakes.

I saw a YouTube video earlier today where Kohli says Rohit and Dhawan will be the openers for the ODI matches.  ODI is Dhawan's best fit, but as mentioned in the earlier post it's probably time to start grooming a replacement.

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/116712/india-fined-for-maintaining-slow-over-rate-in-5th-t20i

Meh. They won the match and the series. That's what counts. The match fee is paltry compared to what these players make in endorsements (within India alone).

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/116727/umpires-call-creating-room-for-confusion-feels-virat-kohli

Virat, you could always hand the captaincy to more competent players. I swear he's been exposed since Dhoni stopped being called up by the national team.

i am one of those thst’s quite soured on Kohli captaincy. With that said, wanted to give him props on couple of things:

- Kohli opening in T20 was a good/great call. I think it definitely makes him way more valuable. Him coming in at 3 or 4 wasn't great as he starts slow and need to go bang-bang in this format to beat the best teams consistently. 

- His call to go with 6 bowling options for the last T20 was right, and he called him Bhuvi the banker at just the right time to turn the game. 

Now, back to another player. I know some of you really love him, but I think he is very undercooked. He is an all rounder but is very underwhelming as either a bat or a ball.... at least in T20 cricket. And I am speaking on one Mr. Washington Sundar. Cant wait to get Jadeja back. Sundar has a lot to learn to become the next Jadeja. Good news is he is only 21. He will become a great. Just not there yet. 

And for T20, India might not be too bad with go for 4-5 seamers (including Pandya) and 1 snipper given the current riches of seamers they have. 

Here is my team for T20 W Cup:

Ro

V

SKY

Pant

Iyer

Pandiya

Jadeja

Shardul

Bhuvi

Bumrah

Shami

Backups:

KL 

Ishan

Sundar

Natarajan

Chahal

R Chahar

8 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I turned it off right before the wickets started falling. If India hold on to win I will take credit for the victory. 

Looks like Prasidh settled down after his shitty start. 

I guess you can take credit for the victory. How England went from winning the match in about 25 overs to all out in 42.1 overs is above my head. Holy shit.

India are in England's head. 

ODIs aren't exactly very important at the moment, so not expecting Rohit or Shreyas for the remainder of the series (2 matches).

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/116749/england-tour-of-india-2021-shreyas-iyer-taken-for-scans-after-left-shoulder-injury

Does this mean Shubman Gill opens? Slotting Suryakumar Yadav at 4 in place of Shreyas makes sense. Any changes to the bowling lineup? Kuldeep was just as useless as his fellow wrist spinner Chahal. Then again the wicket was not conducive to spinners.

Now most of these players head to IPL to play 14 games and make more money than they will the rest of the year. 

Woohoo. Life is good being a cricketer.

—-

These new Indian bowlers are shit fielders - Prasidh, Natarajan, and also Thakur often enough. 

—-

Its sad - India only had a spinner bowl 4 overs. We got shit in stock besides Jadeja (and he is all rounder). Chahal is  best pure spinner and he kinda sucks. Sundar only makes team as bowler because of his bat ability. So does Krunal - and he couldnt bat under pressure. I think Sundar would have done better as a bat today.

Maybe it is time for superfit Kohli to give slow/fat Ashwin a chance in ODI. He cant be a worse fielder than what we saw. (Actually he probably will be worse fielder, but good chance he makes it up with wickets). 

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

India flat out deserved to lose that game with some absolute shit fielding.  Thankfully Natarajan nutted up just enough to see India through.

Lots of errors in this game. Too many overs bowled by Prasidh (too expensive) and Krunal (no spin given by the wicket). Hardik put down a couple. Shardul went full muppet in his last over plus put down a catch. Natarajan had a couple of costly overs and also put down a crucial catch. Not very impressed by India's openers. On a pitch like this against a class side like England, you have to start quickly. You can argue that T20 is influencing the ODI format where dot balls are becoming costly especially against England whose batting attack can run 10 men deep. Virat did not captain a good game and of course, he can't win a toss.

3 minutes ago, remoh said:

Now most of these players head to IPL to play 14 games and make more money than they will the rest of the year. 

Woohoo. Life is good being a cricketer.

—-

These new Indian bowlers are shit fielders - Prasidh, Natarajan, and also Thakur often enough. 

—-

Its sad - India only had a spinner bowl 4 overs. We got shit in stock besides Jadeja (and he is all rounder). Chahal is  best pure spinner and he kinda sucks. Sundar only makes team as bowler because of his bat ability. So does Krunal - and he couldnt bat under pressure. I think Sundar would have done better as a bat today.

Maybe it is time for superfit Kohli to give slow/fat Ashwin a chance in ODI. He cant be a worse fielder than what we saw. (Actually he probably will be worse fielder, but good chance he makes it up with wickets). 

I have a hard time watching IPL as I grew up rooting for India and don't have natural ties to any of these cities with franchises. So it will be a nice cricket hiatus for me.

If I am picking an ODI squad for a match that matters, my chosen bowlers would be Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar, Shami, Jadeja, Ashwin, and Hardik assuming all are fit and healthy. That should also be a strong enough fielding lineup. Maybe the newer bowlers were unnerved in the death?

Who would you have pulled to accommodate Sundar? Krunal as he had a low strike rate? The pitch was not favorable for spinners.

Just happy to win all the series against England especially without India's top bowler and top fielder for most of the matches.